Nature Boy 2.0

ICE makes more arrests at decoy university; some detainees being deported, authorities say

23 posts in this topic

I cant be reading this correctly . Am I to understand the students were given student Visas but were arrested because it was a fake university set up by ICE to lure them in.

Cant be correct that would be insane wrong

Smart people help me out here

https://www.foxnews.com/us/ice-makes-more-student-arrests-at-fake-university

Or, they could’ve gotten in on tourist visas and then COSed to student visa. 

Another option - started off in a legitimate school on student visa but weren’t allowed opt (or no studying) and transferred to the fake school. Or kicked out of school for failing to meet minimum course load and transferred. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Similar to the UK

They come on a temporary Student Visa with not enough money really to afford it and no intention of going back.

Often working outside the very limited hours allowed on a F1. Maximise OPT, CPT which is legal.

They get their degree and want to stay but options are limited, need to find someone to sponsor them for a work visa, and they are limited and not that many Companies want to go to the hassle and expense of sponsoring someone when it is a long shot anyway.

So they then look for the cheapest option to continue their studies and continue working. So there is a demand for Colleges with little education but keep them in status.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

Similar to the UK

They come on a temporary Student Visa with not enough money really to afford it and no intention of going back.

Often working outside the very limited hours allowed on a F1. Maximise OPT, CPT which is legal.

They get their degree and want to stay but options are limited, need to find someone to sponsor them for a work visa, and they are limited and not that many Companies want to go to the hassle and expense of sponsoring someone when it is a long shot anyway.

So they then look for the cheapest option to continue their studies and continue working. So there is a demand for Colleges with little education but keep them in status.

but ICE set the school up. entrapment ?

Timeline

I think it is more like that situation where some Police Dept sent notices to their wanted felons that they had money and to come and get it, and many did.

The College web site has been taken down, there was a College in CA that was basically doing the same thing but for profit, big fuss a years or so ago, if these Students were still in status, studying etc then there would be no cause for deportation

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Confusing to say the least. The intention seems to be luring in students who were running out of status, I read another article detailing an email conversation between a student and one of the "university officials" where the student asked to be enrolled in December but then requested earlier admission in October because his OPT was running out.  

But the extent they went to here makes me think some of these students may have actually thought it was a real university. They got a fake accreditation, were listen as OK on the ICE website, had university officials, a building, and a credible web site with a fake history of the university. When classes didn't start, some students kept asking what was going on, and some even transferred out. How are they going to prove these students had bad intent, when they did such a great job with deceiving them? There must be better ways to prevent people from enrolling in coursework just to stay legal.

h

Timeline

It is simple, no OPT and they need to go, so they need something and forgetting money and status would you be looking to do a Masters at a no name College?

Hm, I guess it wasn't clear exactly what these students statuses were. I agree in the case of the student whose OPT was expiring. I honestly didn't even know you could come on F1, do OPT, and then go back to F1 status while still in the country - but my understanding is that only way of doing this would be applying for reinstatement (I-539). Why don't they just deny reinstatement requests for people who can't necessarily require more education, and deport based on that if unlawful presence were to follow - seems easier, and cheaper than setting up a fake university.

h

Timeline

I would guess there are millions in the US who have denied requests but are still here.

1 hour ago, LizM said:

Confusing to say the least. The intention seems to be luring in students who were running out of status, I read another article detailing an email conversation between a student and one of the "university officials" where the student asked to be enrolled in December but then requested earlier admission in October because his OPT was running out.  

But the extent they went to here makes me think some of these students may have actually thought it was a real university. They got a fake accreditation, were listen as OK on the ICE website, had university officials, a building, and a credible web site with a fake history of the university. When classes didn't start, some students kept asking what was going on, and some even transferred out. How are they going to prove these students had bad intent, when they did such a great job with deceiving them? There must be better ways to prevent people from enrolling in coursework just to stay legal.

Yeah the intention was to lure the students in that were trying to keep their status by signing up to a fake university. This way they can have a status and still work here legally. The original post about this had a link showing that people were applying from all over the USA to this online school. 

I would say the vast majority knew this school was ####### and just wanted to stay here Legally. Then you had the small amount thought it was a real school.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

We had the original story a month or so ago.  At that time they were going after folks that were taking money from these students and committing immigration fraud.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/2019/01/30/farmington-university-immigrant-arrests/2724992002/

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

31 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Yeah the intention was to lure the students in that were trying to keep their status by signing up to a fake university. This way they can have a status and still work here legally. The original post about this had a link showing that people were applying from all over the USA to this online school. 

I would say the vast majority knew this school was ####### and just wanted to stay here Legally. Then you had the small amount thought it was a real school.

Sounds like it was a sting and they put some significant effort into deceiving the students to get them to enroll. Technically they were here illegally after all was said and done, but maybe they wouldn't have been here if they weren't lured to the university in the first place. 

Not sure how easy it is to determine they are signing up at a fake university when DHS got a legitimate accrediting agency to list the university as real. Legally, there is a point where a sting operation becomes entrapment if you make people do something they would not have done of their own accord. I'd bet attorneys will be all over this one.

Edited by Steeleballz

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Timeline

Seems it was an on line College.

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

Seems it was an on line College.

Perhaps, but it's not, as they advertised, "A nationally accredited institution authorized to enroll international students by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security."

Either way, they are not wrong to detain the students. Just have to wonder if some of them would have already went home if they were not being recruited by a fake university. Reminds me how my parents would tell me not to eat cookies then they would fill up the cookie jar every day. Like what else would I do with cookies? If you really don't want me to eat them, stop putting them there.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

58 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

IC  these students were already in the US?