SteveAnna

K-1 Visa - Police Report Ukraine, Kyiv

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I am having troubles figuring out where to obtain the police report, Certification for the Interview for the K-1 Visa.  Does anyone know where to go to get such a certification in Kyiv? 

Thanks for any help.  

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Found this on the DOS website, not sure if it helps?

Police Certificates

Available

Fees: None for regular processing

Document Name: “dovidka”, followed by the number.

Issuing Authority: Departments of Information and Analysis of Ministry of Internal Affairs of Ukraine, central and local

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: Effective January 1, 2015 Police certificates are issued on secure professionally printed letterheads. They used to be produced on a laser printer on regular office paper of A5 format.  Bears a wet seal and a signature of the Department’s head

Issuing Authority Personnel Title: Head of Department

Registration Criteria: There is no registration criteria

Procedure for Obtaining: In Ukraine the certificate must be obtained in the regional centers from the Departments of Information Technology at the Ministry of Internal Affairs, or in the local MIA service centers. Detailed information and sample in Ukrainian is available at this website.

Applicants (or thirds persons with POA, on their behalf) request the records by submitting a written request at the local Department (or Embassy/Consulate if abroad). The applicants must bring the original and a copy of a passport document. Usually it takes up to 30 days to get the results. 

Certified Copies: Certified copies are not available

Alternate Documents: There are no alternate documents.

Police certificates from Crimea issued by the Russian Government are NOT accepted.

Exceptions  None

Comments: For immigrant and K visa processing the police certificates must include all previously used names and surnames. In order for a police certificate to include all the previously used names and surnames, the requestor must specifically state so. The applicants then must make sure all these names appear on the police certificate.

NOTE: Police certificates from Crimea issued by the Russian Government are not acceptable for visa purposes. Applicant must provide the standard Ukrainian police certificate issued on the territory controlled by the Ukrainian Government. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Ukraine.html

Edited by millefleur

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Thanks, I think this is the right place for information and unfortunately now I have a problem. I had no idea it would take this long to get a police report.  It says up to 30 days.  Her interview is March 11.  Maybe I need to call to get rescheduled; extended until we get the report. 

-Steve

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
9 minutes ago, SteveAnna said:

Thanks, I think this is the right place for information and unfortunately now I have a problem. I had no idea it would take this long to get a police report.  It says up to 30 days.  Her interview is March 11.  Maybe I need to call to get rescheduled; extended until we get the report.

Maybe have your fiancée double check that this 30 days processing time is accurate? Processing time could vary widely depending on how many addresses where she has lived, if she's had prior names or not, or if she has anything on her record.

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

you can get it from the local police office, in the ministry if internal affairs. My fiance got hers in about a week in Zaporozhye. i think someone else got theirs in Kyiv in about 10 days.

http://mvs.gov.ua/ua/pages/Dovidka_pro_nesudimist___katalog_poslug.htm

http://hsc.gov.ua/

i think one of these links should help. I am not very good at reading Russian or Ukrainian though

RoC sent 10/30/21

NOA 11/16/21

Check Cashed 11/18/21

Biometrics Waived 01/19/2022

Beware the fury of a patient man.- John Dryden

Political attempts to require that others share your personal truths are, in their limit, dictatorships.- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Applied online, got in a week's time in Odessa in person. No big deal and free of charge. @Shiran got their very quickly in Kyiv and he was personally involved

Timeline
8 hours ago, SteveAnna said:

-Steve

Let her lift herself and apply. When applying let her ask, they will give her an approximate idea of when it will be ready. It really doesn't matter where she lived, who she is and how many times she changed her name and where she applies, as long as she puts  her names and tax identification number correctly. All requests are processed in Kyiv all the same, all Ukrainian individuals are processed by their tax ID numbers primarily and the Internal affairs ministry IT works well due to, inter alia, American support for modernization. 

If she hears something that doesn't please you, let her call and reschedule. She/you with her login may see later available dates, which usually are plenty. It really isn't an issue, even now

Edited by HP+IC

Timeline
8 hours ago, SteveAnna said:

She essentially has lived in a local village outside of Kyiv all her life.  But now in Kyiv.  This is very disturbing news. 

Go to https://dpvs.hsc.gov.ua/ order it there. Do not bother going to MVS in person, they will give you paper form, but that will take LONGER than doing it online as someone will have to do enter data from your form. You will need to select where to send police certificate. Also make sure to select you want full form, not abridged. You can go to same site, https://dpvs.hsc.gov.ua/ and check there when the thing is ready. For us it took about 5 days. You will need to go in person now to the local MVS office and pick up your paper there. They will actually print it and stamp it in front of you. 

At the embassy they WILL ask for it, so there is no point to go to interview if you don't get it ready just cancel interview and  reschedule, do not panic, there is no shortage of interview slots in Kyiv. 

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Shiran said:

Also make sure to select you want full form, not abridged. 

That's totally the point. It is a very important comment

Timeline
21 minutes ago, HP+IC said:

Nope, '6 months or longer'. I'm afraid the lady was in breach of visa regime and will not be able to get anything. Normally, over 6 mos qualifies as residence, at least for tax purposes. As far as I can see, Ukraine and Brazil allow/allowed visa free stay for up to 90 days only. 

But visa stay violation (if there was one) is different from police certificate, which is based on criminal records? Regardless it strange to me that embassy would blatantly refuse it, since it is kinda specifically a type of thing embassies exist for. Then again, I just called Ukraine embassy in San Francisco to ask a question about passport and I can't even get them to answer the bloody phone. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 hour ago, Shiran said:

But visa stay violation (if there was one) is different from police certificate, which is based on criminal records? Regardless it strange to me that embassy would blatantly refuse it, since it is kinda specifically a type of thing embassies exist for. Then again, I just called Ukraine embassy in San Francisco to ask a question about passport and I can't even get them to answer the bloody phone. 

Same in Washington - never answer the phone. And when we were there, for passport renewal and other stuff - I understood why they don't answer... Bunch of people (customers) and only 3 or 4 employees. They simply can not answer the phone - people at the lobby are priority. :(

But they reply, pretty quickly, if you email them. I had my response within an hour.  May San Francisco the same way? Try to email them your question(s)?

if she  was not in Ukraine as a resident, then, most likely, there is  no record of her with Ministry of Interior Affairs . And it may be  impossible to get a police certificate., since there is no record.

Edited by Ksenia_O

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Ksenia_O said:

Same in Washington - never answer the phone. And when we were there, for passport renewal and other stuff - I understood why they don't answer... Bunch of people (customers) and only 3 or 4 employees. They simply can not answer the phone - people at the lobby are priority. :(

But they reply, pretty quickly, if you email them. I had my response within an hour.  May San Francisco the same way? Try to email them your question(s)?

if she  was not in Ukraine as a resident, then, most likely, there is  no record of her with Ministry of Interior Affairs . And it may be  impossible to get a police certificate., since there is no record.

I got through eventually, though answer was in conflict to what we heard in Kyiv. She is trying to get her biometric passport as her current passport (with Visa!) expires in couple of years. She tarried a bit too long in Kyiv, and passport is still not ready, so they told her they can sent it to San Francisco embassy to be picked up later, but embassy says no, it is impossible, and you need to in fact apply in person at the embassy. I guess we will figure it out once she gets here. There is no immediate urgency to it as her passport still have over a year on it. 

As to police record, having no record is kinda the point? I mean that what most police certificates are "We have no record on this person" which means presumably they committed no crimes (or at least didn't get caught in one)  :)  We were able to obtain police record from Israel where she spend about a year as a student. Granted, there was an actual visa to go with it so that might've been different. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
31 minutes ago, Shiran said:

As to police record, having no record is kinda the point? I mean that what most police certificates are "We have no record on this person" which means presumably they committed no crimes (or at least didn't get caught in one)  :)  We were able to obtain police record from Israel where she spend about a year as a student. Granted, there was an actual visa to go with it so that might've been different. 

I might be mistaken here, but why then you have to provide your interior passport or resident ID (usually registered with local authority as well) and list all names used to get the Police certificate?.. they don't ask for an  International passport - only interior....

Don't see how they can even run a background check on a every overstayed tourist (which seems was the case)..  These people don't even 'exist" for MVD - it's a job for Ministry of Foreign Affairs /Custom, but they have nothing to do with issuance of  Police certificate.  

But again - I might be mistaken. 

P.S. Glad you got someone alive  on hold at the Embassy :)

Edited by Ksenia_O

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.