TBoneTX

14,000 Iowans want the governor to pardon school snow days. She can't, but here's who can.

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
5 hours ago, spookyturtle said:

Wow. Around here they wouldn’t be able to get the streets, sidewalks and schools cleared that fast in a big storm. Then again, I think the people that live in Alaska are a very tough bunch. They deal with a harsh environment. 

It’s certainly a different place.  Rugged environment, rugged people.  In the interior, the first snowfall or two may blow away.  But by late October, it’s there to stay.  Turns to ice on the roads fairly quickly.  And stays ice thru about March or April.  Salt won’t work, only gravel.

I was amazed to see people driving 55-70 mph on roads covered with ice.  But they did.  And survival kits with blankets were a must in every vehicle.  Getting stuck or stranded on a road was a life or death situation very quickly.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Snow is just "fat water," but what a nuisance, and how avoidable (by living places where it ain't).

I remember many years ago in N. Carolina:  whenever the weather people mentioned a 0.000000001% chance of a possible, alleged, random, nonaccumulating snowflake, the natives would barnstorm the stores, clear the shelves of milk and bread and Spam, and huddle in their homes waiting for the world to end.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
14 hours ago, Póg mo said:

Great idea, what possibly could go wrong? Apart from death or losing limbs to frost bite, that is.

There's no such thing as bad weather only bad clothing. Alaskan people seem fine. I grew up in Sweden and the only time we ever closed school was when a water pipe froze and we couldn't use the bathrooms. I always walked to school. 

In what scenario would "death, losing limbs to frostbite" occur from being in school on a snowy day?

9 hours ago, ALFKAD said:

It’s certainly a different place.  Rugged environment, rugged people.  In the interior, the first snowfall or two may blow away.  But by late October, it’s there to stay.  Turns to ice on the roads fairly quickly.  And stays ice thru about March or April.  Salt won’t work, only gravel.

I was amazed to see people driving 55-70 mph on roads covered with ice.  But they did.  And survival kits with blankets were a must in every vehicle.  Getting stuck or stranded on a road was a life or death situation very quickly.

When I was a kid. We waited outside for the bus or those who lived within a certain distance walked to school. School would be cancelled at times due to snow simply because the roads or schools hadn’t been cleared in time. And this was dependent on the time and amount of snowfall. 

Today, parents sit in their SUV’s with the kids while waiting for the bus to arrive, no matter the weather, sunny, cloudy, etc. Or they  give the kids a ride to school and pick them up. Far different from when I was a child. Each generation is becoming softer. 

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

24 minutes ago, spookyturtle said:

When I was a kid. We waited outside for the bus or those who lived within a certain distance walked to school. School would be cancelled at times due to snow simply because the roads or schools hadn’t been cleared in time. And this was dependent on the time and amount of snowfall. 

Today, parents sit in their SUV’s with the kids while waiting for the bus to arrive, no matter the weather, sunny, cloudy, etc. Or they  give the kids a ride to school and pick them up. Far different from when I was a child. Each generation is becoming softer. 

You need to update your city dude!

18 hours ago, ALFKAD said:

And yet, kids in Alaska go to school every day with snow on the ground, and walk to school or wait on buses  in temps as low as -35° to -50°.  

In Colorado, it can go from 50F and sunny one day to -5F and 12" of snow the next. We had 6" of snow last night and several roads were closed, (even part of I-70) because so many vehicles are stuck that the plows can't even get past to clear the snow. So everything is delayed while emergency services are tied up trying to deal with this. Myself, I had the bad luck of getting stuck behind a car with Texas plates on the way home driving ~10 miles an hour. Saw people out walking in light coats, probably abandoned their vehicles and walking home. We had people who were over 2 hours late for work when I was leaving. Some were stuck in the road closures and had no idea when they would even arrive. 

In Alberta when I was growing up, we rarely ever closed schools for weather. When it's that cold and snowy from September to June,  you can't really close school for it. Unless it's severe, you get there if you can. If you can't you call and say you aren't coming in. However we were also set up with the infrastructure to navigate in these conditions.  Heated school buses, everyone had snow tires, and millions of dollars budgeted for snow removal. Every street you would have neighbors with plow attachments and winches would were out making a buck clearing roads or helping people who were stuck. If a state doesn't get that much snow, it's more cost effective to try to keep people at home in that kind of weather. 

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Here we have hurricane days.  There are a few days set aside in the fall semester just in case.  If there is no hurricane the kids get a few extra days for Christmas break.

I remember when my daughter, that grew up in SW Florida and went to FSU, started dental school in Louisville KY.  That first winter was especially icy and snowy.  She called me and told me how bad the weather had been, and she was amazed that school had been cancelled for a couple of days.  She said " Dad, they cancelled school.  They called it, uh, uh, snow days!  Can you believe it?"

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

2 hours ago, Unidentified said:

There's no such thing as bad weather only bad clothing. Alaskan people seem fine. I grew up in Sweden and the only time we ever closed school was when a water pipe froze and we couldn't use the bathrooms. I always walked to school. 

In what scenario would "death, losing limbs to frostbite" occur from being in school on a snowy day?

We have had deaths here where people were found frozen in their vehicles after snow has cleared. It's one of the reasons they have moved towards doing what they can to minimize the number of people driving in those conditions. We get situations like last night where they predict a couple of inches of snow and a quick moving cold front. Then it get's hung up and we get 10 inches of snow in an hour and freezing temperatures.

It's just the nature of our local climate. I always keep a winter coat and supplies in my vehicle. I didn't always. I have had days when I went to work in light jacket and came out 8 hours later to -10F weather. As I said, when it's predictably -20 and snowy all winter, people are prepared for that it's easy to continue as normal with that type of weather. When I lived in Victoria BC, 1 inch of snow paralyzed the city for 3 days. They only had one snow plow and that broke down the second day form over use. Meantime, I was out driving around for fun and I was the only person on the road for miles. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline
2 hours ago, Unidentified said:

Alaskans expect bad weather. It is part and parcel of living in Alaska. Here in Minnesota schools will often open on days when other parts of the country would have closed them in much less harsh conditions, but Minnesotan schools do close when travel to and from school is dangerous. Imagine the law suits that would arise if schools decided to stay open, and something terrible happens to some of the children because of the cold? Why risk lives unnecessarily, especially when there zero visibility. 

Oct 19, 2010 I-130 application submitted to US Embassy Seoul, South Korea

Oct 22, 2010 I-130 application approved

Oct 22, 2010 packet 3 received via email

Nov 15, 2010 DS-230 part 1 faxed to US Embassy Seoul

Nov 15, 2010 Appointment for visa interview made on-line

Nov 16, 2010 Confirmation of appointment received via email

Dec 13, 2010 Interview date

Dec 15, 2010 CR-1 received via courier

Mar 29, 2011 POE Detroit Michigan

Feb 15, 2012 Change of address via telephone

Jan 10, 2013 I-751 packet mailed to Vermont Service CenterJan 15, 2013 NOA1

Jan 31, 2013 Biometrics appointment letter received

Feb 20, 2013 Biometric appointment date

June 14, 2013 RFE

June 24, 2013 Responded to RFE

July 24, 2013 Removal of conditions approved

17 minutes ago, Neonred said:

Here we have hurricane days.  There are a few days set aside in the fall semester just in case.  If there is no hurricane the kids get a few extra days for Christmas break.

I remember when my daughter, that grew up in SW Florida and went to FSU, started dental school in Louisville KY.  That first winter was especially icy and snowy.  She called me and told me how bad the weather had been, and she was amazed that school had been cancelled for a couple of days.  She said " Dad, they cancelled school.  They called it, uh, uh, snow days!  Can you believe it?"

As much as snow driving doesn't bother me, I often have to pull over when the rain get's too heavy when we are in Florida. At the same time all the local drivers seem to continue on unabated at highway speed. I guess it's just what you are used to. I'm not used to having a waterfall running down my front windshield but I can somehow see through a tiny clear space on a window covered with frost and ice..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Steeleballz said:

As much as snow driving doesn't bother me, I often have to pull over when the rain get's too heavy when we are in Florida. At the same time all the local drivers seem to continue on unabated at highway speed. I guess it's just what you are used to. I'm not used to having a waterfall running down my front windshield but I can somehow see through a tiny clear space on a window covered with frost and ice..

Rain-X

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Large swath of Iowa to get 6" to 9" of snow tonight.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).