Lankyshakes

DS-160 Fees confusion?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Good afternoon, all. 

I just completed my DS-160 yesterday but wasn’t prompted to pay any fee to process it. I have no idea when, where or how to pay.

Nobody on the internet based in the UK can come to a general consensus on wether you pay the fees at the consulate on the day of interview, via one of several different websites, or by cheque sent via mail!

I’m also at a loss as to wether the $265 visa fee and the DS-160 filing fee (MRV) of $160 are one and the same or completely seperate fees.

Thanks for any assistance on this. 

(Shout out to the London Consulate’s customer service team for being utterly unhelpful, rude and evasive on the matter)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, Lankyshakes said:

Good afternoon, all. 

I just completed my DS-160 yesterday but wasn’t prompted to pay any fee to process it. I have no idea when, where or how to pay.

Nobody on the internet based in the UK can come to a general consensus on wether you pay the fees at the consulate on the day of interview, via one of several different websites, or by cheque sent via mail!

I’m also at a loss as to wether the $265 visa fee and the DS-160 filing fee (MRV) of $160 are one and the same or completely seperate fees.

(Shout out to the London Consulate’s customer service team for being utterly unhelpful, rude and evasive on the matter)

A k1 Visa fee is $265USD not $160, so ignore any reference to $160

YMMV

6 minutes ago, Lankyshakes said:

Good afternoon, all. 

First there is no DS-160 fee. Never was.

The K-1 visa interview fee is $265.00. Payment can be made following the UK website here: https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visa-fees/

It's amazing what Google and the embassy website will tell you.

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

And since your petition/application will be process via the Embassy..

K Visa Applicants –  pay the MRV application fee via the Consular Section’s Visa Information and Appointment Services contractor prior to the visa interview.  Information regarding payment will be provided to you in your visa interview appointment letter.

Have you received the appointment letter?

YMMV

Timeline

you fill out ds-160, get the number, go to the https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-gb/niv register, create new applicant, you will need your ds-160 number, pay the fee, book your appointment

Edited by theafons

Timeline
18 minutes ago, payxibka said:

K Visa Applicants –  pay the MRV application fee via the Consular Section’s Visa Information and Appointment Services contractor prior to the visa interview.  Information regarding payment will be provided to you in your visa interview appointment letter.

Sandly, but the appointment letter doesn't provide you with the link of where to pay the fee. Since K1 is half immigrant/half not it can be very confusing with all the information they give.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
28 minutes ago, Lankyshakes said:

just completed my DS-160 yesterday but wasn’t prompted to pay any fee to process it. I have no idea when, where or how to pay.

I am positive you have been directed to the London K1 instructions before and told to read the four steps. 

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/fiancee-2/applying-for-the-visa/ 

It looks like this screen shot and you have to OPEN each step IMG_1700.thumb.PNG.4adb4acabe471b16a08fd1c453fb7299.PNG

If you will open and read those, you will find the Step where visa fees are paid. Hint: it isn't Step 1 which you have done (DS-160). 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
46 minutes ago, Lankyshakes said:

You don't need everybody on the Internet. Just read and follow the four steps your embassy gives you. 

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/fiancee-2/applying-for-the-visa/

The link is provided.

Edited by Wuozopo

Timeline
49 minutes ago, payxibka said:

The only letter I’ve received was a confirmation of my petition being forwarded to my consulate. (Post NVC stage) that was over a month ago and I’ve received nothing else. 

21 minutes ago, Lankyshakes said:

The only letter I’ve received was a confirmation of my petition being forwarded to my consulate. (Post NVC stage) that was over a month ago and I’ve received nothing else. 

Here is a helper as someone who just completed their process in the UK spent time outlining what needs to be done and in what order. I would highly suggest you spend time their getting to know the document process and asking questions of real people from the UK and not from all over the world. Just my 2 cents.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline
3 hours ago, Greenbaum said:

Here is a helper as someone who just completed their process in the UK spent time outlining what needs to be done and in what order. I would highly suggest you spend time their getting to know the document process and asking questions of real people from the UK and not from all over the world. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for a completely irrelevant link to something unrelated to my question. (And I already read that months ago.)

Edited by Lankyshakes

Timeline
5 hours ago, Greenbaum said:

A thank you would have been much nicer then the ilk that you just posted. I'll just add your name to those that I don't need to help. Makes my life a little easier.

Your “help” isn’t needed. I thank those that actually help, not those who post generic links to obvious information. Enjoy your easy life, sir.

1 hour ago, Lankyshakes said:

Your “help” isn’t needed. I thank those that actually help, not those who post generic links to obvious information. Enjoy your easy life, sir.

Your extremely rude for someone trying to help you. If you don't like the help/answers given, maybe you should seek help elsewhere?

@Greenbaum has helped hundreds, if not thousands of people with their knowledge, all over VJ.

As the other posts have stated, you need to read the official UK US embassy website, all the information you need is there..

K1 Fiance Visa Journey 💍 - From sending I-129F to Visa in hand = 295 days📅

Spoiler

10th-Oct-2017 I-129F sent to Dallas Lockbox

13th-Oct-2017 - I-129F received 

17th-Oct-2017 - NOA1 

19th-Apr-2018 - NOA2 :dance:
8th-May-2018 - NVC received our case

14-May-2018 NVC case # assigned
29-June-2018 - Medical

20-July-2018 - Interview - APPROVED! :dancing:

01-Aug-2018 Visa in hand 🎉
13-Oct-2018 - POE:dancing:
17-Nov-2018- Married:wub:

AOS, EAD, AP Journey :star: - From sending I-485 to 2 year conditional Green card in hand = 152 days📅

Spoiler

6th-Dec-2018 - I-485, I-765, I-131 packet sent to Chicago Lockbox
11th-Dec-2018 - I-485, I-765, I-131 packet received in Chicago
17th-Dec-2018 - Received txt notifications
18-Dec-2018 - Check cashed
17-Dec-2018 - NOA1 on USCIS online case status
24-Dec-2018 - x3 NOA1 letter's received in the mail:thumbs:
31-Dec-2018 - Biometrics appointment letter received in the mail
31-Dec-2018 - USCIS online case status for just AOS changed to 'Request for Initial evidence mailed' :(
07-Jan-2019 - Biometrics appointment👍
07-Jan-2019 - Request for Initial evidence letter received - request is for complete Federal tax return for most recent tax year (we did send with original packet...:angry:)

10-Jan-2019 - Sent back initial evidence request documents by mail:clock:
15-Jan-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to 'Response to USCIS' Request for Evidence was received':thumbs:
20-Mar-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "Case is Ready to be scheduled an Interview" 

26-Mar-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "Interview was Scheduled"

30-Mar-2019 - Letter with interview date received in the mail!!!!!!! :D

30-Apr-2019 - AOS Interview!  :star: - APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
30-Apr-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "New Card is being produced" 
03-May-2019 - AOS (I-485) Approval notice letter received in the mail
03-May-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "Card was mailed to Me"

07-May-2019 - 2 year conditional Green card in hand! :dance:

Removal of Conditions Journey  - From sending I-751 to 10 year Green card in hand = 

16th-Feb-2021 - I-751 packet sent to Phoenix, AZ lockbox

22nd-Feb-2021 - I-751 packet received in Phoenix, AZ lockbox

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.