sullygomez

Applying for a K1 before two year rule is up? (split)

13 posts in this topic

Hi guys!

this info has been really helpful but I am still a little worried.

we have everything ready to apply but my two years will be up till December, could they deny our petition because of that?

or the real problem will be the day of the interview?

we want to do everything with enough time because our "plan" is that the whole process will take one year.

Please tell me how did it work for you, I really appreciate any help.

Greetings from Colombia

Sully

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 1/24/2019 at 6:52 AM, sullygomez said:

Hi guys!

we have everything ready to apply but my two years will be up till December, could they deny our petition because of that?

we want to do everything with enough time because our "plan" is that the whole process will take one year.

Greetings from Colombia

Sully

Immigration is a very complicated thing. Officers interpret the law differently all the time. My experience: Counted the J1 2yr requirement days precisely to make sure that on the INTERVIEW DAY at the consulate I completed the 2yr requirement. While in process at USCIS and NVC before going to the consulate I had not completed the 2yr yet and they did approve it. Of course, in all the forms asking if I had a previous visa I stated J1 and wrote that I would be done with the 2yr requirement soon(dont really remember which forms, it's been a while, I believe only the DS160 for the consulate asked for it? maybe another one for the I129f.) Anyways, you should be fine, they should approve it here in the U.S. and send it to the consulate/embassy. I even remember of asking the consul in the interview day about it and he was like "you're good, you completed your 2yr already, you are approved." Long story short, 2yr for J1 should be counted in the interview day and when you least expect you'll be living here for years already. Can't believe time flew and I am already applying for the 10yr GC. Good luck!

On 1/26/2019 at 11:05 AM, F & D said:

Immigration is a very complicated thing. Officers interpret the law differently all the time. My experience: Counted the J1 2yr requirement days precisely to make sure that on the INTERVIEW DAY at the consulate I completed the 2yr requirement. While in process at USCIS and NVC before going to the consulate I had not completed the 2yr yet and they did approve it. Of course, in all the forms asking if I had a previous visa I stated J1 and wrote that I would be done with the 2yr requirement soon(dont really remember which forms, it's been a while, I believe only the DS160 for the consulate asked for it? maybe another one for the I129f.) Anyways, you should be fine, they should approve it here in the U.S. and send it to the consulate/embassy. I even remember of asking the consul in the interview day about it and he was like "you're good, you completed your 2yr already, you are approved." Long story short, 2yr for J1 should be counted in the interview day and when you least expect you'll be living here for years already. Can't believe time flew and I am already applying for the 10yr GC. Good luck!

Thank you very for sharing for experience is very helpful!

Sully

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
On 1/24/2019 at 8:52 AM, sullygomez said:

Hi guys!

Greetings from Colombia

Sully

As long as you have met within the last 2 years when you file the I-129F, you are 100% fine. Make sure you include proof of this meeting, such as passport stamps, dated photos together, hotel booking, etc. 

I would highly suggest checking out the Colombia portal, as country-specific information will help you greatly to make sure you are prepared throughout the whole process. https://www.visajourney.com/portals/index.php?country=Colombia

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

4 hours ago, beloved_dingo said:

As long as you have met within the last 2 years when you file the I-129F, you are 100% fine. Make sure you include proof of this meeting, such as passport stamps, dated photos together, hotel booking, etc. 

I would highly suggest checking out the Colombia portal, as country-specific information will help you greatly to make sure you are prepared throughout the whole process. https://www.visajourney.com/portals/index.php?country=Colombia

I believe OP is referring to a two year home country residency requirement from a previous J-1 visa, rather than the requirement to have met two years prior to filing a 129-F petition for a K-1.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
On 1/24/2019 at 9:52 AM, sullygomez said:

Hi guys!

Greetings from Colombia

Sully

You can obtain a waiver for the 2 year home rule. I don't have experience with it, so it might turn out as F & D said if your interview is after you completed the 2 year rule, but since you're meeting the requirement in December this year, there is a chance that you have to request the waiver anyway to obtain the visa if the interview is before that. I believe it's a fairly easy waiver to obtain, so I would choose the safe way but that's just my opinion :) 

Hi guys!

Greetings from Colombia

Sully

I applied in Dec. 2016 and my 2-year-rule was going to expire in Aug. 2017.

When I went to the interview in May 2017, the consulate officer calculated when my 2-year-rule was going to expire since I left the country for a few weeks. He said my visa would be issued in September. I waited from May to September with my case status `Pending`. In September I received the k1 package on the mail and my case status changed to `Approved`.

I hope this info helps

11 hours ago, martinianodl said:

I applied in Dec. 2016 and my 2-year-rule was going to expire in Aug. 2017.

When I went to the interview in May 2017, the consulate officer calculated when my 2-year-rule was going to expire since I left the country for a few weeks. He said my visa would be issued in September. I waited from May to September with my case status `Pending`. In September I received the k1 package on the mail and my case status changed to `Approved`.

I hope this info helps

Hi Martin!!!

Absolutely, this is very helpful!

So, did they take your passport the day of the interview and then, they gave you the visa or what happened exactly?

how did you get the interview the first time without the k1 package? Because for what i know you have to have the approval from the USCIS in order to schedule your interview, isn't?

sorry, I am confused, could you please give more details

thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Hi guys!

Greetings from Colombia

Sully

If I understand you, you last met December, 2017. If you apply today you will be fine. 

On the day of the interview at the embassy, the CO will ask the beneficiary when was the last meeting with the petitioner. My suggestion is to make sure your answer is something other than "December, 2017". My fiancee answered: "today, he's waiting for me outside the embassy." Visa approved.

If the couple cannot afford to travel to meet one more time before the interview, the petitioner cannot afford import a fiance(e). Best wishes for your future. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2019 at 10:00 AM, sullygomez said:

Hi Martin!!!

Absolutely, this is very helpful!

So, did they take your passport the day of the interview and then, they gave you the visa or what happened exactly?

how did you get the interview the first time without the k1 package? Because for what i know you have to have the approval from the USCIS in order to schedule your interview, isn't?

sorry, I am confused, could you please give more details

thanks

So my entire process in a very simple way (on top of my head) was:

1. The fiance applies for the K1 visa in the US (pay the fees)

2. The Process is approved and they send it to the embassy in your country

3. Once the fiance receives a notification with a new application number, You can "apply" for the interview with it (more fees)

4. You do Medical exams, Vaccines and gather More documentation (more fees)

4.1. The doctor mail you the exams

5. Go to the interview

5.1 (after approved) The consular officer calculates when your 2-year-rule will expire and will tell you they will mail everything the day after it expires

6. Receive the passport and the package in the mail

7. Fly to the US, handle the K1 package to the immigration officer and go to a room and wait quite a bit

8. Done :) 

I hope it helps.

Let me know if missed something, it was a while ago.

On 1/31/2019 at 12:30 PM, Mike E said:

If I understand you, you last met December, 2017. If you apply today you will be fine. 

On the day of the interview at the embassy, the CO will ask the beneficiary when was the last meeting with the petitioner. My suggestion is to make sure your answer is something other than "December, 2017". My fiancee answered: "today, he's waiting for me outside the embassy." Visa approved.

If the couple cannot afford to travel to meet one more time before the interview, the petitioner cannot afford import a fiance(e). Best wishes for your future. 

The requirement for meeting within the prior two years is not what this thread is about.   Please see previous posts.

• 6 months later...
On 2/12/2019 at 10:48 AM, martinianodl said:

So my entire process in a very simple way (on top of my head) was:

1. The fiance applies for the K1 visa in the US (pay the fees)

2. The Process is approved and they send it to the embassy in your country

3. Once the fiance receives a notification with a new application number, You can "apply" for the interview with it (more fees)

4. You do Medical exams, Vaccines and gather More documentation (more fees)

4.1. The doctor mail you the exams

5. Go to the interview

5.1 (after approved) The consular officer calculates when your 2-year-rule will expire and will tell you they will mail everything the day after it expires

6. Receive the passport and the package in the mail

7. Fly to the US, handle the K1 package to the immigration officer and go to a room and wait quite a bit

8. Done :) 

I hope it helps.

Let me know if missed something, it was a while ago.

hi again guys!!!

I am waiting for 6 moths the package to the interview from the embassy, everything os goin very well so far.

I was planning to re-schedule the appointmen and have it after the 2 years but i have heard is not a good thing to re-schedule the interview.

do you thing I'll be ok if I just go the they they gibe the appointmen? wich I think will be soon.

the 2 years will be up in december.

thanks a lot

sully

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 hours ago, sullygomez said:

hi again guys!!!

I am waiting for 6 moths the package to the interview from the embassy, everything os goin very well so far.

I was planning to re-schedule the appointmen and have it after the 2 years but i have heard is not a good thing to re-schedule the interview.

do you thing I'll be ok if I just go the they they gibe the appointmen? wich I think will be soon.

the 2 years will be up in december.

thanks a lot

sully

There is not a 2 year requirement with the visa application process at the embassy.    

Your initial NOA2 Approval Notice give you 4 months, the embassy can extend the validity of the petition for up to one year (most embassies do this automatically).   You need to have completed everything within "that 1 year".  If you want to reschedule your interview their isn't much to restrict you from doing so.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.