Jump to content
Eric&Mirella

K1 interview: is a decision already made even before the interview?

12 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

My case is going through AP since yesterday despite my interview date being March 1st. I read it means the embassy is checking the USCIS package. My question is: 

Could the approval or denial of a k1 visa happen even before the interview? 🤨

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When my now-husband had his K1 I feel the decision was made prior to his interview.  When he walked up to the window they already had his 221G. 

 

If your interview was that long ago are you sure it's still at the Consulate and hasn't been returned? Have you contacted your congressman representative for assistance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Eric&Mirella said:

My case is going through AP since yesterday despite my interview date being March 1st. I read it means the embassy is checking the USCIS package. My question is: 

Could the approval or denial of a k1 visa happen even before the interview? 🤨

 

It seems in some cases that yes a decision is made upon review of the I-129f packet by the CO. The interview then is conducted to perhaps sway their decision but it has been seen in cases where seems like the case was dead in the water before anything was said.

 

Is this always the case? No, of course not, but they do review the original petition before hand, that's where majority of the information comes from. Naturally ongoing proof or evidence of relationship can be considered but they don't have to even look at it if they don't want to.

 

This is something you really can't stress over though because it is kind of an unknown for sure. 

 

This seems to mostly occur in high fraud countries for the most part, least that's been the case for several ones here on VJ where this seemed to be the case.


08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

07/08/2016 : NOA 1 Received

08/25/2016 : NOA 2 Received (48 days)

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/18/2016 : Visa in hand

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

 

02/03/2017 - Married 

 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

03/06/2017 - NOA1's received via text

03/31/2017 - Biometrics appointment Completed

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

 

 

giphy.gifvd9wauve2wlsd9fuctxk.gifgiphy.gif     

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Technically, no. But COs at some embassies/consulates do appear to make very strong impressions beforehand.


Timelines:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago

9/27/17: received by USCIS

10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received

10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received

10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update)

1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed

1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received

1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice

10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice

10/25/18: Formal approval

10/31/18: Green card received

 

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/17: sent

12/14/17: NOA1 hard copy received

3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification)

3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved!

3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

 

NVC

4/6/2017: Received

4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy

4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy

4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

 

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, EandH0904 said:

When my now-husband had his K1 I feel the decision was made prior to his interview.  When he walked up to the window they already had his 221G. 

 

If your interview was that long ago are you sure it's still at the Consulate and hasn't been returned? Have you contacted your congressman representative for assistance?

My interview is going to happen on March 1st 2019. But is under AP since yesterday. Apparently that's pretty common for my country. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

 

It seems in some cases that yes a decision is made upon review of the I-129f packet by the CO. The interview then is conducted to perhaps sway their decision but it has been seen in cases where seems like the case was dead in the water before anything was said.

 

Is this always the case? No, of course not, but they do review the original petition before hand, that's where majority of the information comes from. Naturally ongoing proof or evidence of relationship can be considered but they don't have to even look at it if they don't want to.

 

This is something you really can't stress over though because it is kind of an unknown for sure. 

 

This seems to mostly occur in high fraud countries for the most part, least that's been the case for several ones here on VJ where this seemed to be the case.

I agree with no overthinking/stressing about that. It's uncertain for sure. But made me curious. I've read somewhere that 97-99% of k1 visas in my country are approved.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Eric&Mirella said:

My interview is going to happen on March 1st 2019. But is under AP since yesterday. Apparently that's pretty common for my country. 

I'm sorry I don't understand how you are in AP before an interview?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Eric&Mirella said:

My case is going through AP since yesterday despite my interview date being March 1st. I read it means the embassy is checking the USCIS package. My question is: 

Could the approval or denial of a k1 visa happen even before the interview? 🤨

interview is scheduled for March 1 2019 according to your timeline

AP is the process after interview so strange if CEAC site says AP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

interview is scheduled for March 1 2019 according to your timeline

AP is the process after interview so strange if CEAC site says AP

Apparently is a normal thing the embassy does in my country. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×