SydMayMac

AOS Interview Today - Dallas

16 posts in this topic

I think I may need someone to just calm my nerves.  My husband and I had his AOS interview today (marriage based, he entered the states under a K-1 visa).  The IO was super chatty and smiling and laughing about things.  She asked us for our IDs, his medical (we handed her our DS3025 since we had already done medical which she checked and OK'd).  She then asked if the last time he entered the country was when he came in with the K-1, we told her no and show her the I-94 from his most recent trip home - he has a EAD and AP card which allowed for this, so she asked to keep the form.  She then began to ask those yes or no questions from the AOS packet and laughed through some of them and mentioned they sounded so strange to say things out loud but they have to ask, my husband answered all appropriately.  She then asked him when his DOB was, when my DOB was, what his SSN was and how we met then said "Well do you have any questions for me?"  We should have asked something but we were amazed and how quick it was happening.  She did not ask for any additional proof of marriage (We had everything ready to go), then told us we can expect a decision in 3-4 weeks.  Is this normal?  I guess we were hoping for a decision today but I get that there are processes in place.  Should I be worried it was such a short interview?  My husband is super confident about it but of course my mind starts to wander!  Any advice would be nice!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Wouldn't be stressing honestly. Some get decisions right then and there, some have some processing. But wouldn't put too much thought into it honestly.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

13 minutes ago, SydMayMac said:

I think I may need someone to just calm my nerves.  My husband and I had his AOS interview today (marriage based, he entered the states under a K-1 visa).  The IO was super chatty and smiling and laughing about things.  She asked us for our IDs, his medical (we handed her our DS3025 since we had already done medical which she checked and OK'd).  She then asked if the last time he entered the country was when he came in with the K-1, we told her no and show her the I-94 from his most recent trip home - he has a EAD and AP card which allowed for this, so she asked to keep the form.  She then began to ask those yes or no questions from the AOS packet and laughed through some of them and mentioned they sounded so strange to say things out loud but they have to ask, my husband answered all appropriately.  She then asked him when his DOB was, when my DOB was, what his SSN was and how we met then said "Well do you have any questions for me?"  We should have asked something but we were amazed and how quick it was happening.  She did not ask for any additional proof of marriage (We had everything ready to go), then told us we can expect a decision in 3-4 weeks.  Is this normal?  I guess we were hoping for a decision today but I get that there are processes in place.  Should I be worried it was such a short interview?  My husband is super confident about it but of course my mind starts to wander!  Any advice would be nice!!

I wont be worried with the short interview..most people interviews are short.

Didnt the IO gave you or tell you if the interview goes well? They usually say Approved, recommend for approval or reason of denial/why cant they approve the application yet.

It felt weird to me to say to expect decision..they should let you know if its approve or recommend for approval or denied.

Edited by icanbenobody

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Korea DPR
Timeline

Not to trivialize your concerns because I know immigration processes are inherently stressful, but are you by nature just a worrier? Because it is evident from the abundance of testimonies on VJ and elsewhere that a good percentage of people do not get instant approvals but are subsequently approved without a hiccup.

What makes you think there is a problem with your case? Nothing at all from what you wrote about your experience.

I am not in this world to live up to your expectations,

Neither are you here to live up to mine.

I don't owe no one no obligation 
So everything is fine, fine

I said, I am that I am I am, I am, I am

4 minutes ago, HonoraryCitizen said:

Not to trivialize your concerns because I know immigration processes are inherently stressful, but are you by nature just a worrier? Because it is evident from the abundance of testimonies on VJ and elsewhere that a good percentage of people do not get instant approvals but are subsequently approved without a hiccup.

What makes you think there is a problem with your case? Nothing at all from what you wrote about your experience.

Oh I'm a worse-case scenario thinker about everything, without a doubt and an overthinker in the worst way - something I've always known about myself but this whole immigration process, like you said, is making me even more stressed.  I guess maybe I just expected more from the interview, ie for her to ask for proof of marriage: leases, pictures, bank accounts etc.  In most cases I've ready here - and I'm still trying to figure out how to work this site - they at least get asked for a few things of that nature so it just caught me off guard.

11 minutes ago, icanbenobody said:

I wont be worried with the short interview..most people interviews are short.

Didnt the IO gave you or tell you if the interview goes well? They usually say Approved, recommend for approval or reason of denial/why cant they approve the application yet.

It felt weird to me to say to expect decision..they should let you know if its approve or recommend for approval or denied.

We didn't even think to ask what the expected decision would have been.  We didn't want to cross the line or anything and honestly we were so caught of guard with how quick it was, it caught us by surprise. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

You are most definitely overthinking. :) But as a fellow excessive worrier, I can relate and don't fault you for it. This has been the biggest test of my anxiety so far, for sure.

Most AOS interviews are quick. Yours sounds a lot like how ours went, honestly. If you are prepared, legitimate, and no major complications, it SHOULD be that streamline.

Some officers will say whether or not they are recommending you for approval, but they don't always necessarily do that. They do run another background check, so this is why you don't normally get "approved" on the spot. So long as that checks out, he'll probably have his green card soon. But you do get a letter either way, I do believe.

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

My wife and I had the same experience. Only difference was the Io explicitly said she would recommend an approval (otherwise I would have asked). We were in & out in 5 minutes, of which 2 minutes was asking the IO questions and talking about her kid's drawing on the wall. No documents were requested.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

19 minutes ago, SydMayMac said:

We didn't even think to ask what the expected decision would have been.  We didn't want to cross the line or anything and honestly we were so caught of guard with how quick it was, it caught us by surprise. 

Well there could be a key words..

But how you say it in original post it seems went well.

Wait for few days to see if your status online change.. mine never say approve but the IO recommend it for approval and said wait 4 to 6 weeks for greencard..well after my husband got out from the interview i innocently ask the IO if we are approve or denied and he gave me a BIG smile and show the paper of recommendation of approval..2 days after interview case status online say interview was completed and case must review then 6 days since interview i received my GC and the approval/welcome letter at the same time.

Trust your genuine relationship and try to relax..The GC might be in your hand soon.

Update us

Edited by icanbenobody

3 minutes ago, geowrian said:

My wife and I had the same experience. Only difference was the Io explicitly said she would recommend an approval (otherwise I would have asked). We were in & out in 5 minutes, of which 2 minutes was asking the IO questions and talking about her kid's drawing on the wall. No documents were requested.

Very similar to mine..we spend more chat about my country ..it doesnt really feel like a scary interview it was just like two best friends talking about random stuff😂😂

45 minutes ago, Paul & Mallory said:

You are most definitely overthinking. :) But as a fellow excessive worrier, I can relate and don't fault you for it. This has been the biggest test of my anxiety so far, for sure.

Most AOS interviews are quick. Yours sounds a lot like how ours went, honestly. If you are prepared, legitimate, and no major complications, it SHOULD be that streamline.

Some officers will say whether or not they are recommending you for approval, but they don't always necessarily do that. They do run another background check, so this is why you don't normally get "approved" on the spot. So long as that checks out, he'll probably have his green card soon. But you do get a letter either way, I do believe.

Thanks for empathizing with me!  It's honestly been the biggest test of anxiety and stress thus far in my life.  You just begin to nitpick everything from the interview, but you're right, we do have to trust that we were prepared, legitimate and have not had an issue with any filings, so I think it's just my mind getting away from me. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Agree with everybody else, just like mine.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
10 minutes ago, SydMayMac said:

Thanks for empathizing with me!  It's honestly been the biggest test of anxiety and stress thus far in my life.  You just begin to nitpick everything from the interview, but you're right, we do have to trust that we were prepared, legitimate and have not had an issue with any filings, so I think it's just my mind getting away from me. 

I did the same thing! We just had ours this past September. We (fortunately, but unexpectedly) got scheduled for the interview very quickly, compared to what we were anticipating. My husband came here in May, we filed the paperwork end of June, and the interview was that soon after. So we were worried. Well...correction...I was worried. :P

I just kept replaying every possible BAD scenario. And I think, it being so underwhelming once it's over and it goes that way, makes you feel like something must be wrong. Because it's built up to be this big deal (which it is), that you expect it to be much more complicated. But then it isn't!!

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.