Geewas

Consulate is wrong I proved enough income

47 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Chris&Ale said:

If they are married, I think they do have the right to appeal.

Doesn’t matter if married or not. This is only a visa refusal, not a petition being returned to USCIS.

That said, the public charge issue is at the CO’s discretion. It’s not even subject to a lawsuit due to the doctrine of consular non-reviewability. One can try to appeal at the embassy, but honestly that’s not likely to do anything. It’s better - IMO - to overcome the reason for the refusal (either via satisfactorily showing a sufficient income/assets for the CO, or via a joint sponsor).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Do you have any life circumstances that would lead them to believe you may be struggling financially? A disabled child or family member you take care of? Living with family because rent is high in the area? Anything that may make them believe that even though you make the threshold that it may not be enough to secure support for your spouse?

We had this happen in the K-1, but it was because even though my mother made over the limit for years to cosponsor my fiance at the time, I wasn't working and I had a daughter to take care of that is special needs. We were asked to provide a second cosponsor as insurance. While we met the technical requirements, consular discretion was put into play due to my situation.

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

There is a recent example (different consulate) similar fact pattern.  

They submitted the Affidavit.

The applicant had the updated and current financial data (2018 pay stubs, employer letter, etc..) in her hand and the CO refused to look at it.

CO told the applicant that they are refusing the visa and gave them a 212(a)(4) without any guidance how to overcome.  As an aside, this was at a NO ASSET/NO JOINT SPONSOR consulate.

She was distraught and ready to give up.  VJ members encouraged her and her husband, to resubmit a brand new affidavit that had the proper evidence in the form the consulate was looking for. 

They did it. Visa was approved.

Different consulate but what does the OP have to lose at this stage

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 hour ago, Chris&Ale said:

If they are married, I think they do have the right to appeal.

appeal takes over a year for court to decide 

i won my appeal and they said marriage bona fida / reapply

Timeline
13 hours ago, payxibka said:

If they will accept a 2018 return later then they would accept it now if she can get it done without having to endure a returned petition or a new filing

but they didn't accept the 2018 income infromation according to her

so, without a cosponsor as embassy requested the case will be returned 

she will get the NOIR / NOID and it is possible at this stage to use 2018 tax returns

when an African embassy says need a cosponsor , they mean exactly that 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Yes, you made enough income for 2018, 2016, and 2015 for a household of 3 but the consular officer based his/her judgement/discretion/decision on the most current Tax Year Returns which is 2017 and that’s way below the FPG (Federal Poverty Guidelines) level for a household of 3.

They use the most recent Tax Year Returns but most people like submitting 3 Tax Years Returns just to be in  safe waters. They don’t really need the previous 2 years (2015 and 2016) but if you think they can help you proof to them that you can maintain sufficient income, fine, file them as well. 

Now the possible solutions to your dilemma is one of two options, either ;

1. You get the co-sponsor as requested by the Consular Officer to meet the FPG, or 

2. You file your 2018 Tax Returns and wait till beyond April 17, 2019, when 2018 Tax Returns become the most current year in their system so they can use it to evaluate your case if you meet the FPG for a household of 3 which you’re already well above with your 2018 Tax Returns. 

PS. Don’t be distraught, I know it can be a difficult process but keep the faith, you’re already at the finish line. 

Edited by Major

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Michael2017 said:

Really there is a court involved? 

yes

but NOIR and NOID are different   

one you reply to with evidence  within a certain amount of time/ the other has to be appealed with evidence to the court

there is also a small fee (mine was $110 in 2011) 

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/questions-and-answers-appeals-and-motions

An appeal is a request to a different authority to review an unfavorable decision. You may appeal certain USCIS decisions to the USCIS Administrative Appeals Office (AAO) or the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA), an office within the Department of Justice. The BIA and the AAO are administrative appellate entities that have jurisdiction over different types of immigration cases. Your denial or revocation notice will provide information about whether the decision may be appealed and where to file your appeal.

Edited by adil-rafa

15 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

appeal takes over a year for court to decide 

i won my appeal and they said marriage bona fida / reapply

Your petition was returned to USCIS and then reaffirmed. This case is only a visa refusal due to the public charge concern. The petition is still valid.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Maybe it is also the work history and education level of the intending immigrant.

Does he have an impressive CV and good education? Maybe this plays into the assessment. 

For example, someone who can`t read or write will receive extra scrutiny. 

Edited by Michael2017

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
10 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

but they didn't accept the 2018 income infromation according to her

so, without a cosponsor as embassy requested the case will be returned 

she will get the NOIR / NOID and it is possible at this stage to use 2018 tax returns

when an African embassy says need a cosponsor , they mean exactly that 

Because if you break it down it wasn't in the format they wanted

YMMV

Timeline

they ask for cosponsor

if she does not provide it,  the case is returned

this is nothing about the OP but the Africian embassies have seen too many fake documents and only want to see IRS or offical tax returns

so without a 2017 income level that meets the requirement amount they ask for cosponsor

they know we can not get 2018 tax transcrpits at this time

if she had provided the 2 years prior to support her income level and sent an email to explain the difference in 2017 ,  they might have overlooked 2017 being too low

but now,  they want a cosponsor

must also consider that she is by own adminission of child bearing age and income may dip again for 6 week leave of absence/ this was suggested at an interview in another embassy and stated the spouse may not find work here 

embassies look at the totality of the entire situation

Edited by adil-rafa

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I have seen other cases and they said they would keep the case for 6-12 months at the embassy before returning, giving them enough time.

Is that not a usual approach? By that time 2018 numbers hit in...

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline
6 hours ago, adil-rafa said:

they ask for cosponsor

if she does not provide it,  the case is returned

this is nothing about the OP but the Africian embassies have seen too many fake documents and only want to see IRS or offical tax returns

so without a 2017 income level that meets the requirement amount they ask for cosponsor

they know we can not get 2018 tax transcrpits at this time

if she had provided the 2 years prior to support her income level and sent an email to explain the difference in 2017 ,  they might have overlooked 2017 being too low

but now,  they want a cosponsor

must also consider that she is by own adminission of child bearing age and income may dip again for 6 week leave of absence/ this was suggested at an interview in another embassy and stated the spouse may not find work here 

embassies look at the totality of the entire situation

I did provide 3 years tax returns and a thorough explanation for the dip along with everything. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.