MattAndOana

Do I need a joint sponsor?

53 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Trying to decide how to fill out the Affidavit of Support I-864.  I have sufficient current income, but my last three years of tax returns are essentially zero (lived abroad, filed in the US, under the $100k limit).  Will I be OK to file individually or is the Embassy likely to request a joint sponsor?

TIA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
17 minutes ago, MattAndOana said:

Trying to decide how to fill out the Affidavit of Support I-864.  I have sufficient current income, but my last three years of tax returns are essentially zero (lived abroad, filed in the US, under the $100k limit).  Will I be OK to file individually or is the Embassy likely to request a joint sponsor?

TIA

It will be the decision of the interviewing CO. They will assess current income looking for stability and ongoing sufficiency etc... if you wanted to play it safe, file your 1864 but get a joint sponsor lined up, have all  the paperwork filled out with all documents in hand.. and hold it in case you get an RFE 

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
19 minutes ago, MattAndOana said:

TIA

They will see your reported income on your tax return, including the excluded income.  Excluding it for tax purposes does not make it disappear.

Your problem might be bigger.  Unless you can show that your income will continue from the same job with the same company they credit you with (zero) income for affidavit purposes no matter what you made or are making overseas.  Leaving you with the options of self-sponsoring on (liquid) assets or getting a co-sponsor.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

They will see your reported income on your tax return, including the excluded income.  Excluding it for tax purposes does not make it disappear.

Your problem might be bigger.  Unless you can show that your income will continue from the same job with the same company they credit you with (zero) income for affidavit purposes no matter what you made or are making overseas.  Leaving you with the options of self-sponsoring on (liquid) assets or getting a co-sponsor.

I had assumed the the OPs statement if “have sufficient current income “ meant the OP was now in the US and had employment which qualified. I may be wrong ... 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Lil bear said:

I had assumed the the OPs statement if “have sufficient current income “ meant the OP was now in the US and had employment which qualified. I may be wrong ... 

If this is correct my previous comment can be disregarded.  

I was assuming the OP was relocating to the US from overseas.

If this is not the case then the combination of tax returns and current income in the US would not be an issue.

The current income, and it's continuatio from the US,  is the more important then the past tax returns.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Timeline
22 hours ago, Nitas_man said:

Unless you can show that your income will continue from the same job with the same company they credit you with (zero) income for affidavit purposes no matter what you made or are making overseas.

I currently work remote for a US company.  The past tax returns were for a company I worked for abroad. 

22 hours ago, Lil bear said:

"have sufficient current income" means that I have had a job for the past year in the US, and that job and income will continue into 2019.

21 hours ago, Nitas_man said:

I was assuming the OP was relocating to the US from overseas

Yes, this a correct assumption.  I will be relocating with my wife to the US.

18 hours ago, Paul & Mary said:

The current income, and it's continuatio from the US,  is the more important then the past tax returns.

So, would it be feasible to file the affidavit based on my income alone? 

Thanks everyone for chiming in on this.

My big question in all this is if getting a joint sponsor now will be the ideal situation.  I can have my dad as a joint sponsor no problem.

Depends on embassy and CO.  I would gather a joint sponsor as a back up. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
1 minute ago, NikLR said:

Depends on embassy and CO.  I would gather a joint sponsor as a back up. 

Agreed. If a joint sponsor is possible get the paperwork done now. Gets all bases covered . 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

If the OP will supply the complete tax returns for the past three years and a current pay stub, there should be no need for a joint sponsor.  Providing one would be belt and suspenders, IMO.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
11 hours ago, MattAndOana said:

I currently work remote for a US company.  The past tax returns were for a company I worked for abroad. 

"have sufficient current income" means that I have had a job for the past year in the US, and that job and income will continue into 2019.

Yes, this a correct assumption.  I will be relocating with my wife to the US.

So, would it be feasible to file the affidavit based on my income alone? 

Thanks everyone for chiming in on this.

My big question in all this is if getting a joint sponsor now will be the ideal situation.  I can have my dad as a joint sponsor no problem.

I do not believe that a joint sponsor is required in your situation.

Came online with my computer vs phone... OP isn't from a country known to have an issue.  I agree with a joint sponsor likely isn't necessary. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
7 hours ago, pushbrk said:

If the OP will supply the complete tax returns for the past three years and a current pay stub, there should be no need for a joint sponsor.  Providing one would be belt and suspenders, IMO.

Belts and suspenders can be very useful . May turn out to be totally unnecessary but no harm in having . . 😁

Edited by Lil bear

Timeline
12 hours ago, pushbrk said:

Providing one would be belt and suspenders, IMO.

I've seen you use this expression multiple time; can't figure out if you're pro or con 😂

The only things that makes me worry and want to go belt and suspenders is the fact that my all my tax returns 2017 and prior are for amounts earned abroad that are lower than the poverty level in the US.  These were above average salaries in Romania, but I wonder if those amounts have any sway in how the CO perceives things, especially regarding financial stability.  I'm going to file my 2018 return and submit the 1040 and W2 for my current job.  If I choose to file the I-864 without a joint sponsor, should I also include transcripts from 2017 and 2016?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
14 hours ago, MattAndOana said:

I've seen you use this expression multiple time; can't figure out if you're pro or con 😂

The only things that makes me worry and want to go belt and suspenders is the fact that my all my tax returns 2017 and prior are for amounts earned abroad that are lower than the poverty level in the US.  These were above average salaries in Romania, but I wonder if those amounts have any sway in how the CO perceives things, especially regarding financial stability.  I'm going to file my 2018 return and submit the 1040 and W2 for my current job.  If I choose to file the I-864 without a joint sponsor, should I also include transcripts from 2017 and 2016?

I would, yes.  A Consular officer in Romania will be familiar with pay scales and living expenses in Romania.  The full return or return transcript will help them fill in the blanks.  Your occupation and current earnings combined with everything else should carry the day.

When I say belt and suspenders, I mean extra insurance.  Make your own judgment.  If you like to err on the safe side in that way, there's no harm in it.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.