MattAndOana

Do I need a joint sponsor?

53 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline
On 1/15/2019 at 7:47 PM, pushbrk said:

If you like to err on the safe side in that way, there's no harm in it.

So I submitted things the following way:

Me: Sponsor via I-864, taxes from 2017, 2016, 2015 + proof of current income, etc.

My Dad: Joint Sponsor via I-864, plus his tax documents, proof of income, etc.

My Mom: Household Member to my Dad via I-864A, plus her tax documents, proof of income, etc.

NVC is telling me to resubmit both my parents' documents via I-864A as MY household members.  I can't for the life of me understand why that would be the case. Wouldn't that mean that my salary need to cover 4 household members (me, my wife, my mom, my dad) according to their financial rules?  Has anyone else seen NVC ask a joint sponsor to be considered as a household member to the main sponsor? Any thoughts?

55 minutes ago, MattAndOana said:

Me: Sponsor via I-864, taxes from 2017, 2016, 2015 + proof of current income, etc.

My Mom: Household Member to my Dad via I-864A, plus her tax documents, proof of income, etc.

NVC is telling me to resubmit both my parents' documents via I-864A as MY household members.  I can't for the life of me understand why that would be the case. Wouldn't that mean that my salary need to cover 4 household members (me, my wife, my mom, my dad) according to their financial rules?  Has anyone else seen NVC ask a joint sponsor to be considered as a household member to the main sponsor? Any thoughts?

I think they are more asking you to resubmit the documents saying you are your PARENTS' household members. 

I'm in a similar situation (I'm working as a consultant for a US company and claim FEIE, so my 1040 shows $0 income, even though my 1099 shows I earn enough to sponsor). Anyways, my lawyer also advised belt and suspenders, so we added my parents as cosponsors. NVC eventually asked us to re-file as a single household with my parents, since I use my parents' home address as my US mailing address.

If your parents' income was sufficient as a cosponsor, it shouldn't make any difference if you change them to a household member. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, peteagus said:

I think they are more asking you to resubmit the documents saying you are your PARENTS' household members. 

This is not the case. They are explicitly telling me to re-submit with my parents as my household members.  Here is a redacted copy/paste of what they sent me:

Regarding the Tax Returns:

We are unable to accept these documents as uploaded. Please add <FATHER> as <ME>'s Household Member, and submit all of their documents under <FATHER>'s name.

Regarding the U.S. Status document:

We are unable to accept these documents as uploaded. Please add <MOTHER> as <ME>'s Household Member, and submit all of their documents under <MOTHER>'s name.

Regarding the I-864 form:

<FATHER>'s Form I-864A, Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member is missing. Please visit https://www.uscis.gov/i-864a to complete this form to submit and add <FATHER> as <ME>'s Household Member, and submit all of their documents under <FATHER>'s name.

Regarding the  I-864A form:

We are unable to accept these documents as uploaded. Please add <MOTHER> as <ME>'s Household Member, and submit all of their documents under <MOTHER>'s name.

Timeline

Follow up:

I called NVC (over 30 times to get past the busy message and into the menu).  The agent I talked to seemed confused by the messages I posted above.  She couldn't explain them, and admitted that I filed the AOS as it should have been.  She then put me on hold to investigate, and....

well, she never came back.  I waited an hour.  So where does that leave me?  Call back when I get a few hours?  Submit the forms like they're asking even though it doesn't seem to make much sense?

Timeline
51 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

You're filing AOS from Romania?

By AOS, I mean Affidavit of Support, not Adjustment of Status (if that's what surprised you).  We need new acronyms.  May wife and I thought that was something we had to do because of the overuse of AOS on this site.  Go figure.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
8 hours ago, MattAndOana said:

What is the exact wording of the request.  Something is being misinterpreted by you or by NVC.  Did you also send evidence your parents are US Citizens?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

10 hours ago, MattAndOana said:

This is not the case. They are explicitly telling me to re-submit with my parents as my household members.  Here is a redacted copy/paste of what they sent me:

Regarding the Tax Returns:

We are unable to accept these documents as uploaded. Please add <FATHER> as <ME>'s Household Member, and submit all of their documents under <FATHER>'s name.

Regarding the U.S. Status document:

Regarding the I-864 form:

<FATHER>'s Form I-864A, Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member is missing. Please visit https://www.uscis.gov/i-864a to complete this form to submit and add <FATHER> as <ME>'s Household Member, and submit all of their documents under <FATHER>'s name.

Regarding the  I-864A form:

2 hours ago, pushbrk said:

What is the exact wording of the request.  Something is being misinterpreted by you or by NVC.  Did you also send evidence your parents are US Citizens?

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

I think the NVC is misinterpreting.  I think the OP needs to speak to a supervisor and have the request fixed.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
1 hour ago, NikLR said:

I think the NVC is misinterpreting.  I think the OP needs to speak to a supervisor and have the request fixed.  

Perhaps.  My other theory is that the OP's own (Petitioner's) I-864 mentions father and mother as household members.  They should not be mentioned on the petitioner's I-864 in any way.  Talk to a supervisor, yes, but completing the forms correctly for the circumstances is critical.  If my "other theory" is not correct, then there is probably a REASON NVC is confused.  Somebody is confused.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
3 hours ago, pushbrk said:

My other theory is that the OP's own (Petitioner's) I-864 mentions father and mother as household members.

I didn't do anything like this.  I was very careful about keeping my household (me and my wife) separate from my parents'.

3 hours ago, pushbrk said:

there is probably a REASON NVC is confused.  Somebody is confused.

This was exactly what the agent I spoke to said.  Too bad when she put me on hold to go check, no one ever came back.  It looks like my only recourse is to spend another few hours trying to get through to a supervisor.

Timeline
13 hours ago, pushbrk said:

Somebody is confused.

Now that somebody is me.  I called today and the agent told me that she doesn't see the requests any more, but sees that my case is in administrative processing.  Her only clue was that AP at this stage means someone needs to be added or removed as joint sponsor or household member.  There is no indication in CEAC or otherwise that I am in AP, or that I should or shouldn't do anything at the moment.  She said all I can do is wait until they decide and send me an email with their decision.

52 minutes ago, MattAndOana said:

Now that somebody is me.  I called today and the agent told me that she doesn't see the requests any more, but sees that my case is in administrative processing.  Her only clue was that AP at this stage means someone needs to be added or removed as joint sponsor or household member.  There is no indication in CEAC or otherwise that I am in AP, or that I should or shouldn't do anything at the moment.  She said all I can do is wait until they decide and send me an email with their decision.

Strange. Keep us updated as to what happens. 

Timeline

I keep getting email notifications to check my messages in CEAC.  There is nothing changed or updated in our document statuses, nor is there any new message to read.  Now they're just testing my patience.

Timeline
On 2/28/2019 at 11:33 AM, peteagus said:

NVC eventually asked us to re-file as a single household with my parents, since I use my parents' home address as my US mailing address.

Apparently this is what is happening to us as well.  I called NVC again today, and the agent I spoke to said the reason we are in administrative processing is because I can't have a joint sponsor who lives at the same address.  So all the things I've posted here regarding the AOS documents are essentially true:

• they won't accept my joint sponsor
  • they want me to add my parents as my household members
  • our case is definitely in administrative processing (since Feb 27)
  • all we can do is wait and see

@peteagus How long did this shake up take for you?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.