Shemp

Intent to Marry was Bonafide? I-130 Request for Evidence

14 posts in this topic

What could be expected from a newly married couple who part to live in different hemispheres? We were married last March, I departed in April, and I filed this case in May. So what could possibly be "established" in a 2 month period to prove intent of marriage was "to establish a life together"? They are asking for all this frickin' financial info: life insurance naming her as beneficiary, joint property leases, registrations, mortgages (yeah, i bought a house in the interim of the expenses of entire overseas wedding) , joint income tax filings, bank and credit card accounts. Ok, i'll put a credit card in her name.  So, what else? We've already submitted all the wedding photos and relative letters of courtship testimony, etc., when I filed the I-130. Why are they asking for THAT again? She's already BEEN here on K-1. We didn't marry and she returned pursuant to the visa. So, what is this? Have i stepped into Donald Drumpft territory? thank you

Edited by Shemp

They don't know your personal circumstances so the list is just a string of examples of things to help you with document gathering. It has nothing to do with Donald Trump. We filed before he was elected and the requirements were exactly the same and have been for many, many years.

Surely she is listed as the beneficiary on your life insurance? You are never too young to have wills. When she was here on the K-1 did you add her to your bank account? Car insurance? Did you purchase any big ticket items together on credit such as furniture or a vehicle in both names? Was she added to the utility bills? At the time, she was planning on being here for good so surely she was added to bills and things. Have you received any mail addressed to both of you? You have the advantage that you have at least lived together, albeit briefly. Many of us don't have that advantage and still manage to present a convincing case that the marriage was entered into for love, not a green card. What exactly did you send with the I-130?

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

*~*~*moved from "bringing family members of USCs" to "IR-1/CR-1 spouse visa process and procedures"*~*~*

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

Just do what you can to be like a married couple.   Add her to some credit cards, life insurance, will, any utilities or bank accounts.  You want to show you are commingling your assets.  See if you can make another visit to see her.  Too bad she is going to have to do the medical again. 

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Is this a question about how you respond to an RFE for the I-130 you filed in May of last year?  If so, send them whatever they are asking for.  No more, no less, by the date specified in the RFE.

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
12 hours ago, Shemp said:

What could be expected from a newly married couple who part to live in different hemispheres? We were married last March, I departed in April, and I filed this case in May. So what could possibly be "established" in a 2 month period to prove intent of marriage was "to establish a life together"? They are asking for all this frickin' financial info: life insurance naming her as beneficiary, joint property leases, registrations, mortgages (yeah, i bought a house in the interim of the expenses of entire overseas wedding) , joint income tax filings, bank and credit card accounts. Ok, i'll put a credit card in her name.  So, what else? We've already submitted all the wedding photos and relative letters of courtship testimony, etc., when I filed the I-130. Why are they asking for THAT again? She's already BEEN here on K-1. We didn't marry and she returned pursuant to the visa. So, what is this? Have i stepped into Donald Drumpft territory? thank you

What exactly are your circumstances?  She entered on K1, married, and returned to her home country or she entered, returned, and you got married in her home country?

Many of us married overseas and never lived together at all before we filed.  We had days or weeks together in many cases.

As to your Trump question, we originally filed back in 2007.  The list you are referring to predates several presidents.  In our case (lol) I processed once under Bush, once under Obama, and once under Trump.  I print out and staple the same #### every time.

What exactly did you send and what exactly did they ask for?

Was she added to your health insurance?  Beneficiary on your 401k or life insurance?  While here was she added to your lease?  There is a long list of things that demonstrate “co-mingling” of your lives and assets together.  Gather what you have and send it in.

Edited by Nitas_man

On 1/13/2019 at 10:39 AM, Nitas_man said:

What exactly are your circumstances?  She entered on K1, married, and returned to her home country or she entered, returned, and you got married in her home country?

Many of us married overseas and never lived together at all before we filed.  We had days or weeks together in many cases.

As to your Trump question, we originally filed back in 2007.  The list you are referring to predates several presidents.  In our case (lol) I processed once under Bush, once under Obama, and once under Trump.  I print out and staple the same #### every time.

What exactly did you send and what exactly did they ask for?

Was she added to your health insurance?  Beneficiary on your 401k or life insurance?  While here was she added to your lease?  There is a long list of things that demonstrate “co-mingling” of your lives and assets together.  Gather what you have and send it in.

She was here 18 months ago on K-1, but we did not marry. She returned to Ph. I married here last march in Ph.  The first thing immigration asks for is my entire divorce decree (i only sent the front and back portions). Can't see their concern over my divorce again, since they already approved new wife for K-1 (duh-huhuh!). The other evidence requirement they listed is this "Intent to Marry was Bona-fide". I have not added her to any documents. There just hasn't been any time or necessity. thank you

Edited by Shemp

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
4 hours ago, Shemp said:

She was here 18 months ago on K-1, but we did not marry. She returned to Ph. I married here last march in Ph.  The first thing immigration asks for is my entire divorce decree (i only sent the front and back portions). Can't see their concern over my divorce again, since they already approved new wife for K-1 (duh-huhuh!). The other evidence requirement they listed is this "Intent to Marry was Bona-fide". I have not added her to any documents. There just hasn't been any time or necessity. thank you

Each petition stands alone.  They will know about the previous case but you can't get by showing them only part of a divorce decree.  What exactly was requested and with exactly what wording?  Don't give us your interpretation of the wording, or your complaints about it.  They are not helpful.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

4 hours ago, Shemp said:

Can't see their concern over my divorce again, since they already approved new wife for K-1 (duh-huhuh!)

They're probably not concerned about it. But they need full documentation in accordance with the requirements of the petition.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
7 hours ago, Shemp said:

It appears there was a necessity and it would have been a really great idea to make time.  

There is also a necessity to include the minimum requested documents to petitions that you mail in. 

As you seem to know what you are doing, good luck.  

On 1/14/2019 at 4:13 PM, pushbrk said:

Each petition stands alone.  They will know about the previous case but you can't get by showing them only part of a divorce decree.  What exactly was requested and with exactly what wording?  Don't give us your interpretation of the wording, or your complaints about it.  They are not helpful.

I got by with the same abbreviated divorce decree with the k-1, so i slammed the same pages through for the 130. My big concern is the financial "bona-fide intent" request. There is no marriage duration requirement before you can apply.  I don't know what they expect for after only 3 months of marriage. I was hoping for quick answers here, before i had to make that long, USCIS stranglehold call again.  Don't you hate that music they play? 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
33 minutes ago, Shemp said:

I got by with the same abbreviated divorce decree with the k-1, so i slammed the same pages through for the 130. My big concern is the financial "bona-fide intent" request. There is no marriage duration requirement before you can apply.  I don't know what they expect for after only 3 months of marriage. I was hoping for quick answers here, before i had to make that long, USCIS stranglehold call again.  Don't you hate that music they play? 

Last try to help you.  What exactly was requested and with exactly what wording?  Don't give us your interpretation of the wording, or your complaints about it.  They are not helpful.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

32 minutes ago, Shemp said:

I gave you some hints regarding the financial side of things already. When she arrived with her K-1, surely her intention was to marry and stay? I know it didn’t pan out that way but when her feet touched the soil that was surely the intent? Therefore it’s logical to assume that you would have added her to your checking account, got a debit or credit card in her name for her to use. Did you add her to any health care plan or insurances? As I said before, thousands of us manage to present a clear and and convincing case each year without ever having lived together. You’re one step ahead of rest of us. There are plenty who have gone through this by filing within days of getting married. 

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

My wife is in the Philippines too.  We cannot be on a joint account there because I am not a citizen.  She cannot be on a joint account here because she doesn't have a SSN.  I can't add her to my lease because they need her SSN and biometrics.  I can add her name to my bills.  She is on my work insurance.  She is my life insurance beneficiary.  It isn't easy but you can come up with something that will work.  

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.