Jump to content
ChristopherCham

J1 visa that is terminated and marriage

62 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello I am new to this forum and not entirely sure if I am posting in the correct place but i could use some help and direction. My fiance came here from Thailand on a J1 visa around 5 years ago. She was part of an Au pair family and things did not work out for her with the family. She was taken advantage of and was placed with another family and was expected to care for a child that was autistic and was not really experienced enough to care for the child and other children. She then found work here in Ohio and continued to work this entire time. She then moved in with a boyfriend and until about 6 months ago lived with him and they never married and it was mostly a bad situation all around. It was very difficult for her to get out of that situation but she finally did. I met her at a restaurant that we work at and I quickly fell in love with her. We started living together quickly and started spending the majority of our time together. I want to marry her and i have already got a marriage licence and we plan to marry on the 4th of February. I have some fear about the process of getting her status updated since she has been here so long and also been working. She has become a part of my family and I truly love her and want to stay with her forever but i have little direction or really anyone to help me through this process. Any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ChristopherCham said:

Hello I am new to this forum and not entirely sure if I am posting in the correct place but i could use some help and direction. My fiance came here from Thailand on a J1 visa around 5 years ago. She was part of an Au pair family and things did not work out for her with the family. She was taken advantage of and was placed with another family and was expected to care for a child that was autistic and was not really experienced enough to care for the child and other children. She then found work here in Ohio and continued to work this entire time. She then moved in with a boyfriend and until about 6 months ago lived with him and they never married and it was mostly a bad situation all around. It was very difficult for her to get out of that situation but she finally did. I met her at a restaurant that we work at and I quickly fell in love with her. We started living together quickly and started spending the majority of our time together. I want to marry her and i have already got a marriage licence and we plan to marry on the 4th of February. I have some fear about the process of getting her status updated since she has been here so long and also been working. She has become a part of my family and I truly love her and want to stay with her forever but i have little direction or really anyone to help me through this process. Any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated.

this link might help you in knowing if she can adjust status from the J1

 

https://www.boundless.com/immigration-resources/how-to-change-your-status-from-a-j-1-visa-to-a-green-card-through-marriage/

 

I have little knowledge of what can be done but might be helpful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

Does her J1 have a 2 years home residency requirement?

 

Did she claim to be a US citizen to get a job?  What documents did she use?

She did not claim to be a US citizen, the people were aware of her situation and paid her under the table. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, ChristopherCham said:

Hello I am new to this forum and not entirely sure if I am posting in the correct place but i could use some help and direction. My fiance came here from Thailand on a J1 visa around 5 years ago. She was part of an Au pair family and things did not work out for her with the family. She was taken advantage of and was placed with another family and was expected to care for a child that was autistic and was not really experienced enough to care for the child and other children. She then found work here in Ohio and continued to work this entire time. She then moved in with a boyfriend and until about 6 months ago lived with him and they never married and it was mostly a bad situation all around. It was very difficult for her to get out of that situation but she finally did. I met her at a restaurant that we work at and I quickly fell in love with her. We started living together quickly and started spending the majority of our time together. I want to marry her and i have already got a marriage licence and we plan to marry on the 4th of February. I have some fear about the process of getting her status updated since she has been here so long and also been working. She has become a part of my family and I truly love her and want to stay with her forever but i have little direction or really anyone to help me through this process. Any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated.

 

I assume you're a US citizen, correct? Yes, you can marry her. She can apply for a green card based on that marriage with you. After you get married, file form I-130, I-485, I-765 and I-131 concurrently. I-130 is the petition for an immediate relative (your wife) to a US citizen (yourself). Form I-485 is Adjustment of status to Lawful Permanent Resident (Green card) for her. Form I-765 is Employment Authorization so she can work legally and form I-131 is Advanced Parole so she can travel and return to the US.

 

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: Because she entered the US legally with a valid visa, that is why she can legally change her status to LPR. Basically the part that she became "illegal immigrant" and overstaying her visa is "forgiven" because she married you. However, she MUST NOT leave the US until at least her I-131 is approved. Otherwise, she will NOT be able to enter the US for 10 years.

Edited by USS_Voyager

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, ChristopherCham said:

She did not claim to be a US citizen, the people were aware of her situation and paid her under the table. 

Does the two-year home residency requirement apply to you?

There are multiple ways to find out:

1. Check your visa. Toward the bottom of your visa (a document that’s affixed to a page of your passport), look for a note that indicates whether or not you’re subject to the requirement:

  • If you are, the notation might read: “BEARER IS SUBJECT TO INA(212)E. TWO YEAR RULE DOES APPLY.” (This refers to the specific section of the Immigration and Nationality Act creating the requirement.)
  • If you are not, the notation might read: “NOT SUBJECT TO TWO-YEAR RESIDENCE REQUIREMENT.”

IMPORTANT: Not all J-1 visas will contain this note. If you don’t find this note in your visa, you must try one of the other following methods instead.


2. Check your Form DS-2019. This form (officially called the “Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status”) should indicate whether the requirement applies to you. You should have received this form from your program sponsor prior to applying for your J-1 visa. If you can’t locate your Form DS-2019, contact your program sponsor.

1 minute ago, USS_Voyager said:

 

I assume you're a US citizen, correct? Yes, you can marry her. She can apply for a green card based on that marriage with you. After you get married, file form I-130, I-485, I-765 and I-131 concurrently. I-130 is the petition for an immediate relative (your wife) to a US citizen (yourself). Form I-485 is Adjustment of status to Lawful Permanent Resident (Green card) for her. Form I-765 is Employment Authorization so she can work legally and form I-131 is Advanced Parole so she can travel and return to the US.

 

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: Because she entered the US legally with a valid visa, that is why she can legally change her status to LPR. Basically the part that she became "illegal immigrant" and overstaying her visa is "forgiven" because she married you. However, she MUST NOT leave the US until at least her I-131 is approved. Otherwise, she will be able to enter the US for 10 years.

if she is here on a J1 I do know that she might be subject to the residency requirement, that means she might not be able to adjust without going the other CR1 route of her going back to her home country

Edited by Khallaf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, ChristopherCham said:

She did not claim to be a US citizen she has been paid under the table. I am unclear about the 2 year home residency requirement. I have asked her about this and she too is unclear.

She needs to figure out if she has the 2-year home residency requirement because if she does she HAS TO obtain a waiver BEFORE she can file for a GC (after you get married, of course as that'd be her basis for filing for a GC).

Edited by EM_Vandaveer

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

 

I assume you're a US citizen, correct? Yes, you can marry her. She can apply for a green card based on that marriage with you. After you get married, file form I-130, I-485, I-765 and I-131 concurrently. I-130 is the petition for an immediate relative (your wife) to a US citizen (yourself). Form I-485 is Adjustment of status to Lawful Permanent Resident (Green card) for her. Form I-765 is Employment Authorization so she can work legally and form I-131 is Advanced Parole so she can travel and return to the US.

 

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: Because she entered the US legally with a valid visa, that is why she can legally change her status to LPR. Basically the part that she became "illegal immigrant" and overstaying her visa is "forgiven" because she married you. However, she MUST NOT leave the US until at least her I-131 is approved. Otherwise, she will NOT be able to enter the US for 10 years.

Let's not forget the possibility that her J-1 had a 2-year home residency requirement. If it did, they can marry but cannot file for AOS without obtaining a waiver first, otherwise AOS would be denied and she would potentially be deported.


Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

~~moved to what visa do I need from student and exchange visas.  This may be moved again to AOS from work, tourist and student visas should her visa not contain the 2 year requirement OR IR1/CR1 process and procedures if it does ~~


You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, EM_Vandaveer said:

Let's not forget the possibility that her J-1 had a 2-year home residency requirement. If it did, they can marry but cannot file for AOS without obtaining a waiver first, otherwise AOS would be denied and she would potentially be deported.

Of course, I forgot about that. OP, please check her J-1 visa about the 2 year rule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Usually Au pairs do not have the 2YHRR, but definitely check to confirm this for her individual case.

 

And she should have reported her income on taxes, even if it was under the table. Not an immigration issue, but Uncle Sam wants their cut.


Timelines:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago

9/27/17: received by USCIS

10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received

10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received

10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update)

1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed

1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received

1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice

10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice

10/25/18: Formal approval

10/31/18: Green card received

 

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/17: sent

12/14/17: NOA1 hard copy received

3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification)

3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved!

3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

 

NVC

4/6/2017: Received

4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy

4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy

4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

 

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, USS_Voyager said:

Of course, I forgot about that. OP, please check her J-1 visa about the 2 year rule.

I will check her visa tonight and see if it says anything about the 2 year rule, I asked her about it and she says she doesn't know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, geowrian said:

Usually Au pairs do not have the 2YHRR, but definitely check to confirm this for her individual case.

 

And she should have reported her income on taxes, even if it was under the table. Not an immigration issue, but Uncle Sam wants their cut.

We have been advised to not be honest about her working and I'm not really comfortable with being dishonest about any of this when the time comes to tell how we met and everything. There is concern that the people that have employed her will get into trouble

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×