motherofmike

CR1 Visa confusion!

30 posts in this topic

Applied for my wife CR1 Visa in Jordan in June of 2017 to come to the States.

approved by USCIS, got sent to the NVC

Approved by the NVC.

Wifes interview was on November 13 of 2018, she was only there for the interview as I'm in the states. 

She told me that they asked her simple questions but handed her a white slip seeking a missing document which is a joint sponsor. 

But they explicitly told her apart from that everything is good. 

So I sent the document and the joint sponsor had excellent income so that wasn't an issue and it arrived at the embassy on December 20th, 2018. 

I checked online status and it was in Administrative Processing so I wasn't truly upset maybe it was a placeholder word until they reviewed the document. I called the embassy on the 24th and I got hold of someone

at the immigration Unit and he informed me everything is going great, just a few more days until an officer reviews the document and issues the visa. 

on the 27th, it changed from Administrative Processing to "ready" which confused me since she already had the interview. 

Lord and behold, I get a call from the embassy yesterday night asking for a current phone number from my wife.  They gave her a call and asked her a few peculiar and unrelated questions about one of her relatives. 

I won't dive into detail about that but it wasn't ANY question regarding her. 

So should I be freaking out that all of the sudden they start asking her questions not even about her after all these great news they keep giving me?

Had anyone experienced such an odd scenario?

If her case gets denied for an uncommon reason what would be the proper steps to go forward.

Thank you all kindly for any input.

Edited by motherofmike
added tags

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Freaking out would not be productive.  Unless you delve into what the questions were, I can't give a meaningful opinion about what this means.  However, they may simply be investigating a connection to some undesirable activity by a relative and determining whether that impacts the need for further security checks on your wife.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Was the relative what might be described as a person of interest?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, pushbrk said:

Freaking out would not be productive.  Unless you delve into what the questions were, I can't give a meaningful opinion about what this means.  However, they may simply be investigating a connection to some undesirable activity by a relative and determining whether that impacts the need for further security checks on your wife.

But heres how im confused, whether the relative might have undesirable activity why should that affect my wifes application? Would they try and find a justifiable reason to deny her visa simply because of a relative? 

40 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Was the relative what might be described as a person of interest?

Thats what im trying to figure out, but regardless why should that relative affect her outcome on a visa if whatever they are possibly investigating has nothing to do with my wife?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
4 minutes ago, motherofmike said:

But heres how im confused, whether the relative might have undesirable activity why should that affect my wifes application? Would they try and find a justifiable reason to deny her visa simply because of a relative? 

Thats what im trying to figure out, but regardless why should that relative affect her outcome on a visa if whatever they are possibly investigating has nothing to do with my wife?

They could be making sure that what ever the issue is has nothing to do with your wife.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
5 minutes ago, motherofmike said:

It's called guilt by association.  Could be more extensive security check because of it to ensure your wife is not involved.

Edited by gregcrs2

Timeline
4 minutes ago, motherofmike said:

I didn't say "deny".  I said "further security checks".  What kind of questions were asked about the relative?

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
1 minute ago, gregcrs2 said:

It's called guilt by association.  Could be more extensive security check because of it.

Yes, or potential guilt by association.  More like a risk assessment.  What were the questions????

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Just now, Ontarkie said:

They could be making sure that what ever the issue is has nothing to do with your wife.

Would it be a possibility though that they might refuse a visa application due to a 3rd party issue, aka the relative, even though it most certainly has nothing to do with my wife?

I'm just wondering if that ever happens, where something she never has done and has no involvement, because she's related to someone that did something they deny her. 

It is all speculation if we don't know what the questions were.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, motherofmike said:

Would it be a possibility though that they might refuse a visa application due to a 3rd party issue, aka the relative, even though it most certainly has nothing to do with my wife?

I'm just wondering if that ever happens, where something she never has done and has no involvement, because she's related to someone that did something they deny her. 

Since all we are doing is guessing on very little. I'm going to say yes it is possible because really anything is possible. They won't just say hey this guy is a relative so no visa for you. They will have enough evidence or proof before they act.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline
1 minute ago, motherofmike said:

They were inquiring about the whereabouts of the relative back in 2000, and where that person went and why. Questions my wife even doesnt know. 

OK.  How close a relative?  Brother, father, cousin etc. male, female?

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.