Sandy05

Saudi won't give police certificate

31 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

Why can't the P3 letter where it states the required police certificate is required. It's normally official as it contains the embassy seal. Thoughts?

This might be why:

In order to obtain the police certificate for immigration purposes, applicants will need to obtain a request letter addressed to the Saudi authorities from the U.S. Embassy 

P3 is not addressed as such

YMMV

3 minutes ago, payxibka said:

This might be why:

In order to obtain the police certificate for immigration purposes, applicants will need to obtain a request letter addressed to the Saudi authorities from the U.S. Embassy 

P3 is not addressed as such

I know that such a letter exist from the PI embassy, USEM. I'm surprised that one is not available in Jordan.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, Greenbaum said:

I know that such a letter exist from the PI embassy, USEM. I'm surprised that one is not available in Jordan.

In P3?

YMMV

3 minutes ago, payxibka said:

In P3?

No separate from P3. Here is what I have. The link is dead now as this was captured in 2015.

Did you go to Window 38 at the US embassy in Manila and ask for the consulate letter requesting the PC if not, then email:
 IVMANILAREPLIES@STATE.GOV

***Request for the consulate to issue a letter officially requesting the Singapore Police Force to release a COC or certificate of Clearance. Make sure that the letter states that "A STATUTE OF DECLARATION IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.

The US embassy can send this to you by Mail or by email

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Removal of Conditions

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline

I’m applicant for CR1 Visa and my case at NVC and I’m indian citizen but staying in kuwait since.  4 years so I got PCC from kuwait police department..I think this way u can get PCC from Saudi,First I sent one request email to kuwait US Embassy they give me a letter for requesting to be give PCC so I submit that letter in kuwait police department and after 1 week they issue me Kuwait PCC so same ways u can also get..U should sent a request email to US Embassy and they will give a letter ok 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
9 hours ago, Sandy05 said:

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has run into this problem before. My fiance is a Jordanian national, living in Jordan, with an active residency in Saudi Arabia. His interview for the K1 is in two weeks. We have tried to no avail to get the required police certificate from Saudi but they have given us a hard time. At first the Saudi embassy told us they do not give this document out. We checked with the US embassy and they told us that he does need it because his resident status there is still active. We went back and forth with the Saudi embassy and even showed them the email from the US embassy. We were told they want an official letter from the US embassy requesting it before they will give us the police certificate. We again tried contacting the US embassy and have yet to hear back. Interview date is approaching, I can't push back the interview as the NOA2 expires early January and the next available date for an interview is in February. I called the customer service number to try to get some help with no luck. The lady told me to wait until I hear back via email. Has anyone gone to the interview without one of the required documents? Will this cause the visa to get denied? We have a couple of days left before we have to send in his packet to the US embassy. What should we do?

He should not need it. Saudi arabia will not issue this for non saudi citizens who are not residing in the country. The embassy should be aware of this. My husband is from pakistan and he lived in Saudi for 4 years, when NVC asked for police certificate he stated this and had no problems with this at NVC stage or his interview.

20181204_205052.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
22 hours ago, Sandy05 said:

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has run into this problem before. My fiance is a Jordanian national, living in Jordan, with an active residency in Saudi Arabia. His interview for the K1 is in two weeks. We have tried to no avail to get the required police certificate from Saudi but they have given us a hard time. At first the Saudi embassy told us they do not give this document out. We checked with the US embassy and they told us that he does need it because his resident status there is still active. We went back and forth with the Saudi embassy and even showed them the email from the US embassy. We were told they want an official letter from the US embassy requesting it before they will give us the police certificate. We again tried contacting the US embassy and have yet to hear back. Interview date is approaching, I can't push back the interview as the NOA2 expires early January and the next available date for an interview is in February. I called the customer service number to try to get some help with no luck. The lady told me to wait until I hear back via email. Has anyone gone to the interview without one of the required documents? Will this cause the visa to get denied? We have a couple of days left before we have to send in his packet to the US embassy. What should we do?

If he has lived in Saudi for at least 6 months, then he NEEDS to get a police clearance from there. If you read the K1 instructions thoroughly, you'll find that police clearances are needed from countries one has lived in for at least 6 months.

What I think could work is have him try and contact the US embassy in Saudi if they can help sort this out by giving him an official letter stating why it's required so that he can take it straight to the MOFA (Ministry of Foreign Affairs) to get it authorized and then to any police department to get his clearance.

16 minutes ago, SMK&JDR said:

If he has lived in Saudi for at least 6 months, then he NEEDS to get a police clearance from there. If you read the K1 instructions thoroughly, you'll find that police clearances are needed from countries one has lived in for at least 6 months.

That's the general rule. This requirement is often waived for some countries (mainly in the Gulf) that make it impossible or very difficult for non-residents to obtain certificates.

My own experience was in the UAE. I was aware that the requirement for the police certificate might be waived, but I went through the process to obtain one anyway, since I had months of time waiting for k1 to be processed. As with most Gulf countries, it was extremely bureaucratic, and frequently my friend who was obtaining it for me (since I was not in the country) was refused by officials who didn't know their own guidelines and rules. He'd have to revisit when other staff were on duty, and hope they didn't make up excuses to process it.

I feel for original poster. Dealing with such bureaucracy is frustrating and demoralizing. Its definitely good to get any refusal in writing, so this can be used as evidence to request a waiver.

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Limey said:

That's the general rule. This requirement is often waived for some countries (mainly in the Gulf) that make it impossible or very difficult for non-residents to obtain certificates.

My own experience was in the UAE. I was aware that the requirement for the police certificate might be waived, but I went through the process to obtain one anyway, since I had months of time waiting for k1 to be processed. As with most Gulf countries, it was extremely bureaucratic, and frequently my friend who was obtaining it for me (since I was not in the country) was refused by officials who didn't know their own guidelines and rules. He'd have to revisit when other staff were on duty, and hope they didn't make up excuses to process it.

I feel for original poster. Dealing with such bureaucracy is frustrating and demoralizing. Its definitely good to get any refusal in writing, so this can be used as evidence to request a waiver.

I'm assuming you were able to get it waived? It's sad how they can't just do their jobs right.

Hopefully @Sandy05 could get it sorted out just like you did.

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

He needs to obtain  from the U.S embassy "a letter of endorsement" addressed to Saudi Police, the Embassy will give the letter, after obtaining the letter bring the letter to the Saudi Ministry of Foreign affairs for authentication, tell him to take his iqama and it will take one week to get the police clearance.

Edited by sandranj

On 12/5/2018 at 1:46 PM, SMK&JDR said:

I'm assuming you were able to get it waived? It's sad how they can't just do their jobs right.

Hopefully @Sandy05 could get it sorted out just like you did.

I didn't need a waiver as I was able to get the certificate. But it was a real struggle, so I can see why its commonly waived for the UAE.

Getting a UK one was incredibly easy and quick - filled in a form (no fingerprints etc), paid the money, and a few days later I had my certificate. No need to request letters from the US asking for it, or notarized and legalized finger prints etc - just apply - they don't care why you want it.

It seems so pointless for these countries to make it difficult. You'd think that if they've given you a criminal record in their country, they'd want to further punish you by making that information affect your future life, like applying for US visas. Instead their actions have meant that ex-residents with convictions (even serious ones) could conceal those from the US (that would be lying to US immigration of course, hence illegal and risking lengthy bans, but there is a reason the US requests police certificates rather than taking applicants at their word)

Edited by Limey

--- k1 visa ---

Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

-- Citizenship --

1 hour ago, Limey said:

It seems so pointless for these countries to make it difficult.

Agreed. But it's out of the US's hands. While not too common with KSA specifically, these type of PCC issues can be the cause for extended delays for background checks.

That said, KSA isn't exactly known for being open and upfront...journalist or not.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

If a PCC is needed from UAE and because UAE requires you to be in country then print off the verbiage which states this from the link below. During the interview when it is asked for then present the printed copy from the link. Most who I recommend this to have no problems once the CO is "educated".

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/UnitedArabEmirates.html

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

17 hours ago, Greenbaum said:

If a PCC is needed from UAE and because UAE requires you to be in country then print off the verbiage which states this from the link below. During the interview when it is asked for then present the printed copy from the link. Most who I recommend this to have no problems once the CO is "educated".

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/UnitedArabEmirates.html

I was aware it was frequently waived. I had a friend who was Bangladeshi but spent most of his adult life in UAE. In his case they would not waive it - presumably since he'd spent such a large part of his life there. Since I knew I had many months to wait for my NOA2 I figured I may as well try (one less thing to worry about).

Despite what the US site stays, it IS possible to get the UAE certificate from outside the UAE (I did it). But its difficult and you'll need someone in the UAE to do some running around on your behalf. Even better if they speak Arabic. And if you can't get it, fingers crossed they'll give you the waiver (its only "recommended").

--- k1 visa ---

-- Citizenship --

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Thank you everyone for all of your responses! We appreciate it more than you know. This was such a stressful time for us and it helped having so many kind people offering different ideas to help us.

Just to update everyone in case someone goes through this too and wants to know the outcome. We asked at the embassy when my fiance dropped off the packet about the police clearance from Saudi. He was told the embassy is aware and not to worry about it. We had emailed the US and Saudi embassies, they never replied by email. The US embassy called my fiance before the interview and told him they were aware getting it was an issue and that they were going to work on it...They never followed up about it. It was not brought up at the interview and no additional documents were requested. Thankfully we were approved, the happiest day of our lives. Good luck to everyone going through this process. It is long, difficult, and requires a lot of patience but it is so worth it to finally get to start our lives together! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.