AnneA

Beneficiary on disability

16 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm 57, Danish and on disability, which I can bring with me to the US and my fiance is 54 USC, he has a good job and meets the financial criteria without problems. I have 6 adult kids and 5 grandkids so far in Denmark. My concern is the medical (and the Embassy interview) as it seems that the main focus is on infections (which I don't have) and on ability to work (which I don't have either - not very much anyway). Do I need to prove that I have absolutely no intentions of staying in the US if for whatever reason I'm not with my fiance/husband? If that's the case - any suggestions to how to prove it?

Edited by AnneA

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

They are more concerned about the petitioner being able to support you. Having health insurance in place for you will help alleviate public charge concerns.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

If your husband exceeds the required financial requirements for support, then you can stop worrying.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

For K1 you will be staying in the US and u need to show u will marry and have intentions to stay with finance not the other way

and u and you do not have to prove u can work

your husband with a good job will be able to add u to his health insurance

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I wouldn't worry since he has a good job as you say and meet the financial criteria. 

The medical in DK is not bad at all the doctor is very nice. And your interview in Sweden will not be a problem either it's

like 10 min and you are out again. 

Thank to you all for your respons :)

So just for me to be sure I got it right - since I'll be on my husbands insurance once we marry and his income is sufficient to meet the requirements and I'll get about $1100 a month from Denmark after taxes - we're good and I don't need to prove that in the worst case scenario my husband dies before me that I have no intension of staying in US and thereby maybe becoming a public charge ?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
6 minutes ago, AnneA said:

I don't need to prove that in the worst case scenario my husband dies before me that I have no intension of staying in US and thereby maybe becoming a public charge ?

After Adjustment of Status from the K-1, you are allowed to stay as long as you wish. If your husband dies you can legally stay, if you want.

Edited by TM92

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
3 minutes ago, AnneA said:

that in the worst case scenario my husband dies before me that I have no intension of staying in US and thereby maybe becoming a public charge ?

I have never heard of that even being addressed at all....Don't worry about that.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 minutes ago, AnneA said:

I don't need to prove that in the worst case scenario my husband dies before me that I have no intension of staying in US and thereby maybe becoming a public charge ?

You don't need to prove a future "what if" scenario 

YMMV

7 minutes ago, TM92 said:

After Adjustment of Status from the K-1, you are allowed to stay as long as you wish. If your husband dies you can legally stay, if you want.

Thanks - there would be no reason for me to stay - my kids and grandkids are here in Denmark - I move to the US because right now it's the best solution since he has a good job there :)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
11 minutes ago, AnneA said:

Thanks - there would be no reason for me to stay - my kids and grandkids are here in Denmark - I move to the US because right now it's the best solution since he has a good job there :)

In that case, you can surrender the Green Card, if you wish; recommended since IRS taxes worldwide income of Green Card holders. You send Form I-407 (Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status), the Green Card, and an enclosed stamped self-addressed envelope* via mail to the USCIS London office: https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/international-offices/united-kingdom-uscis-london-field-office "Form I-407, Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status" tab

*They use the stamped self-addressed envelope you provide to send you a copy for your personal record keeping.

Edited by TM92

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

Filed: Other Timeline

You need to understand the Social Security benefits for the spouses and widows of US workers as you plan for the future. He should visit the SSA website for a benefits statement which provides the numbers. You need to determine whether your income is taxable; I suspect it is.   You need to understand that after he retires $1100, barely covers Medicare, supplement, dental, and prescription insurance for one person depending on your combined income.  Depending on what prescriptions you require, drug costs can be astronomical. Both my husband and I forego the first choice of our physician because of the costs; I could easily spend over $10,000 per month just for drugs for us and our disabled child if I did not decline the prescriptions that are not on the formulary for our drug plan.

IMO, the minimum income to sponsor is totally inadequate for a decent lifestyle especially in a high cost of living area. The cost of a residence, household assistance if you need it as well as the other budget items as well as taxes can be a shock. Just be informed so you know what to expect.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, CEE53147 said:

IMO, the minimum income to sponsor is totally inadequate for a decent lifestyle especially in a high cost of living area. The cost of a residence, household assistance if you need it as well as the other budget items as well as taxes can be a shock. Just be informed so you know what to expect.

i do think the income requirements are too low, too. And i live in a low cost of living area, have no mortgage (house paid for in cash), no loans and no car payment.

Anything less than 30K a year for 2 or 3 and I can not imagine someone living a comfortable (not even SUPER comfortable) life. and thats without me taking into consideration those larger expenses such as housing or loan payments.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Thank you so very much for all the information I'll be sure to keep that in mind 🤗

The $1100 a month after taxes is my income from Denmark ... it is taxed in Denmark and there's agreements between Dk and US regarding taxes so that'll be all I have to pay. My husbands income etc is around 60K a year. If he dies first I will return to Dk ... my family is here and the medical is absolutly free also my income will be double since I'm single so no way will I stay in the US if that scenario should occur. We will make sure to have a saving for me to be able to return to Dk in that case 😊

If I should need household assistance we would probably consider moving to Dk since the options are here are free. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.