dhaubau86

Engagement ceremony

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

So I am freaking out ATM. I keep seeing these denials due to engagement pictures for K1 visa and its in Indian sub continent region.. I did sent like 5 pics of having small engagement ceremony with our initial petition. The pic includes ring exchange and pic with family. We did sent a pic of our engagement cake that says Congratulation your are engaged.

Does this mean our case is bound to be denied at consulate? 

Or are there any other cases where they granted visa successfully with engagement ceremony pictures? SO far I have seen once couple in from Nepal having succeeded with ceremony pictures at interview level. They however, didn't submitted those pictures with initial petition but gave to IO at the interview.

Any info is appreciated...

Edited by dhaubau86

19 minutes ago, dhaubau86 said:

So I am freaking out ATM. I keep seeing these denials due to engagement pictures for K1 visa and its in Indian sub continent region.. I did sent like 5 pics of having small engagement ceremony with our initial petition. The pic includes ring exchange and pic with family. We did sent a pic of our engagement cake that says Congratulation your are engaged.

Does this mean our case is bound to be denied at consulate? 

Or are there any other cases where they granted visa successfully with engagement ceremony pictures? SO far I have seen once couple in from Nepal having succeeded with ceremony pictures at interview level. They however, didn't submitted those pictures with initial petition but gave to IO at the interview.

Any info is appreciated...

Oh boy. This seems to be too common of an occurrence lately.

There is no way to predict what will happen, but to be brutally honest, you need to be prepared in case of a denial. That does not mean you will be denied. But let's just say that your chances of being denied have increased. And by your own admission, you know why it may be denied.

Nothing to do now but hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

If it is denied, have a back up plan so you don't lose a step. Usually, the back up plan is to get officially married and file for a spousal visa.

Edited by NuestraUnion

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline
4 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

Oh boy. This seems to be too common of an occurrence lately.

There is no way to predict what will happen, but to be brutally honest, you need to be prepared in case of a denial. That does not mean you will be denied. But let's just say that your chances of being denied have increased. And by your own admission, you know why it may be denied.

Nothing to do now but how for the best but prepare for the worst.

if it is denied, have a back up plan so you don't lose a step. Usually, the back up plan is to get officially married and file for a spousal visa.

Yea , that pretty much everyone's back up plan... If K1 is denied I don't think anyone will go with K1 again considering only couple months differentials in getting NOA2. Anyhow, I will try to stay positive and hopefully will get a chance to prove that we are engaged not married at the interview.. 

Just now, dhaubau86 said:

Yea , that pretty much everyone's back up plan... If K1 is denied I don't think anyone will go with K1 again considering only couple months differentials in getting NOA2. Anyhow, I will try to stay positive and hopefully will get a chance to prove that we are engaged not married at the interview.. 

Keep us updated on how it goes. 

Hopefully, you will be successful and get a K1 approval.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline
1 minute ago, NuestraUnion said:

Keep us updated on how it goes. 

Hopefully, you will be successful and get a K1 approval.

Thanks..

Sure..

I completely agree with the above.

By no means does it guarantee a refusal. Many people have done similar things and been approved. But it does open you up to a refusal.

Moving forward...

Option 1: Continue on the current path and hope for the best.

Option 2: Don't continue with the K-1, withdraw the I-129F, marry, and file an I-130..

Given that you have a NOA2 already, I personally would try option 1 still. Had you only been a couple months or less into the process, I'd go with #2 instead.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
4 minutes ago, geowrian said:

I completely agree with the above.

By no means does it guarantee a refusal. Many people have done similar things and been approved. But it does open you up to a refusal.

Moving forward...

Option 1: Continue on the current path and hoe for the best.

Option 2: Don't continue with the K-1, withdraw the I-129F, marry, and file an I-130..

Given that you have a NOA2 already, I personally would try option 1 still. Had you only been a couple months or less into the process, I'd go with #2 instead.

My wife went through the CR1 process so I don't know that much about the K1 process, but is there any preventative step the OP could take? For example, go to the interview with signed affidavits of people at the party and/or a complete explanation about what is shown in the pictures? Considering you only get one shot with the K1 and therefore no chance of appeal, it would seem that an explanation at one's interview would be the best opportunity to avoid a rejection based on this issue.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

4 minutes ago, Russ&Caro said:

My wife went through the CR1 process so I don't know that much about the K1 process, but is there any preventative step the OP could take? For example, go to the interview with signed affidavits of people at the party and/or a complete explanation about what is shown in the pictures? Considering you only get one shot with the K1 and therefore no chance of appeal, it would seem that an explanation at one's interview would be the best opportunity to avoid a rejection based on this issue.

You can try to explain it at the interview (if the issue is brought up...I wouldn't draw attention to it on my own). Beyond that, I don't think anything else would be considered (affidavits and such)...the CO has no way to authenticate them nor any reason to even look at them.

To put it in perspective, if somebody was actually married and tried to do the K-1 since it's slightly faster, wouldn't they try the same thing? Enforcing affidavits (presumably with foreign nationals) isn't something they want to get involved with.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

• 2 years later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.