barashka

REQUEST FOR INITIAL EVIDENCE (I-485)

28 posts in this topic

Hello everybody! I wanted to hear some thoughts and advice about my situation.

I received a RFE in the mail today for my wife's I-485. It states:

"The petitioner/sponsor on Form I-864, Affidavit of Support, must submit a complete Federal income tax return submitted to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for the most recent tax year. If you were not required to file a Federal income tax return under U.S. tax law, attach a written explanation of why you are not required to file. See "Filing Requirements" in the IRS Form 1040 Filing Instructions to determine whether you were required to file."

For the I-864, I (the sponsor) submitted my latest IRS Tax Return Transcript and my latest IRS Tax Account Transcript, along with my latest W-2. I did not submit my latest 1040 because I thought both of my latest IRS Transcripts would suffice. Was I supposed to send my latest 1040 along with my Tax Transcripts and my W-2? 

The instructions for the I-864 states:

"For ALL sponsors: 

A copy of your individual Federal income tax return, including W-2s for the most recent tax year, or a statement and/or evidence describing why you were not required to file."

Wouldn't my aforementioned Tax Transcripts and my W-2 suffice? Before I sent the Adjustment of Status package out, I had triple checked to make sure everything was included. I have a copy of the entire package with me for my own records and I clearly see i sent both tax transcripts along with a W-2.

What do you guys reckon? What should I send them to fix this RFE?

Any advice or input will be greatly appreciated. Sincere regards to all.

8 minutes ago, visaquestions123 said:

Wouldn't my aforementioned Tax Transcripts and my W-2 suffice?

Yes but that doesnt mean that they feel that the financial evidence you provided is enough. Ie they may be requesting more current info (employment letter and paystubs etc) and I wouldnt offer any further advice without seeing your entire RFE letter first.

13 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Yes but that doesnt mean that they feel that the financial evidence you provided is enough. Ie they may be requesting more current info (employment letter and paystubs etc) and I wouldnt offer any further advice without seeing your entire RFE letter first.

I sent an employment letter and paystubs for the latest 6 months. I think my financial evidence is more than sufficient but somehow, they might have just overlooked my IRS transcripts I sent. Should I resend everything I initially sent and also include a 1040? I thought the tax transcripts sufficed.

Edited by visaquestions123

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
14 minutes ago, visaquestions123 said:

What should I send them to fix this RFE?

I'll defer to more knowledgeable users as to whether just re-submit the tax transcript with W-2s or submit something more. I'll just share my RFIE experience; my RFIE was asking for stuff I had already submitted, so I just re-submitted what I already sent (USCIS sometimes misplaces things).

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

2 minutes ago, visaquestions123 said:

Nov 24, Doc 1.pdfNov 24, Doc 1.pdf

I sent an employment letter and paystubs for the latest 6 months. I think my financial evidence is more than sufficient but somehow, they might have just overlooked my IRS transcripts I sent. Should I resend everything I initially sent and also include a 1040? I thought the tax transcripts sufficed.

Here is a copy of my RFE.

Okay that seems very minimal. I would agree in this case that they probably just lost it. I would agree with you though and do submit what you sent already plus the 1040's and all supplemental schedules (just to be safe) even though what you have submitted should have been enough.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
31 minutes ago, visaquestions123 said:

Hello everybody! I wanted to hear some thoughts and advice about my situation.

I received a RFE in the mail today for my wife's I-485. It states:

"The petitioner/sponsor on Form I-864, Affidavit of Support, must submit a complete Federal income tax return submitted to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for the most recent tax year. If you were not required to file a Federal income tax return under U.S. tax law, attach a written explanation of why you are not required to file. See "Filing Requirements" in the IRS Form 1040 Filing Instructions to determine whether you were required to file."

For the I-864, I (the sponsor) submitted my latest IRS Tax Return Transcript and my latest IRS Tax Account Transcript, along with my latest W-2. I did not submit my latest 1040 because I thought both of my latest IRS Transcripts would suffice. Was I supposed to send my latest 1040 along with my Tax Transcripts and my W-2? 

The instructions for the I-864 states:

"For ALL sponsors: 

A copy of your individual Federal income tax return, including W-2s for the most recent tax year, or a statement and/or evidence describing why you were not required to file."

Wouldn't my aforementioned Tax Transcripts and my W-2 suffice? Before I sent the Adjustment of Status package out, I had triple checked to make sure everything was included. I have a copy of the entire package with me for my own records and I clearly see i sent both tax transcripts along with a W-2.

What do you guys reckon? What should I send them to fix this RFE?

Any advice or input will be greatly appreciated. Sincere regards to all.

Is it your 2017 tax transcript?

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

3 minutes ago, Pinkrlion said:

Is it your 2017 tax transcript?

I submitted my 2017 tax transcript and my 2017 account transcript along with my 2017 W-2. I supplemented with an employment letter, my latest 6 months of pay stubs and latest 6 months of bank statements. The only thing I did not include was my 2017 1040 but, I didn't think it would have been necessary due to me sending official tax transcripts from the IRS. Surely, I don't believe the 1040 was the problem but rather, the USCIS unfortunately clumsily misplaced or overlooked my tax transcripts. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
4 minutes ago, visaquestions123 said:

I submitted my 2017 tax transcript and my 2017 account transcript along with my 2017 W-2. I supplemented with an employment letter, my latest 6 months of pay stubs and latest 6 months of bank statements. The only thing I did not include was my 2017 1040 but, I didn't think it would have been necessary due to me sending official tax transcripts from the IRS. Surely, I don't believe the 1040 was the problem but rather, the USCIS unfortunately clumsily misplaced or overlooked my tax transcripts. 

Honestly, I would send the 1040 and all schedules and W2s.....just to give them exactly what they asked for......just my opinion.....although I am not sure they didn't accept the transcript.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Just now, missileman said:

Honestly, I would send the 1040 and all schedules and W2s.....just to give them exactly what they asked for......just my opinion.....although I am not sure they didn't accept the transcript.

Yeah, that is the best thing to do. Where can I obtain a 1040 copy for myself? When I go to the iRS website to search for how to obtain a 1040, it sends me to the transcript tool. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, visaquestions123 said:

Yeah, that is the best thing to do. Where can I obtain a 1040 copy for myself? When I go to the iRS website to search for how to obtain a 1040, it sends me to the transcript tool. 

The IRS doesn't store copies of your tax returns.  Those would come from the taxpayer and/or software used to prepare the return.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
10 minutes ago, visaquestions123 said:

the USCIS unfortunately clumsily misplaced or overlooked my tax transcripts. 

Yup, that's probably what happened. Unfortunately expect a delay on the EAD/AP combo card. This is what USCIS responded (in May) to my Senator's office when I submitted a Congressional Inquiry on the I-765 processing time:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding this constituent’s immigration matter. This case is currently within our normal processing times. Our records indicate that we received a response to a request for evidence for the underlying I-485 application on 01/17/2018. Pursuant to 8 CFR § 103.2(b)(10), if USCIS issues a request for initial evidence on either the Form I-765 application or the principal Form I-485 application, the processing timeframes start over from the date of receipt of the initial evidence.

7 minutes ago, missileman said:

The IRS doesn't store copies of your tax returns.  Those would come from the taxpayer and/or software used to prepare the return.

I will contact H&R Block to obtain my latest 1040. Thank you for your input!

On a side note:

My wife's biometrics is next Thursday in Philadelphia. Does this RFE affect that appointment? Should we reschedule it or?

Edited by visaquestions123

Timeline
4 minutes ago, visaquestions123 said:

My wife's biometrics is next Thursday in Philadelphia. Does this RFE affect that appointment? Should we reschedule it or?

She should go to the appointment.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, visaquestions123 said:

I will contact H&R Block to obtain my latest 1040. Thank you for your input!

On a side note:

No effect that I can think of.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.