Ninja Joe

Can't Take Shots at Medical Checkup

27 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

Checkmate. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/KEV_Kyiv.html#vaccination_requirements

Vaccination Requirements

For Immigrant Visa Applicants Only, not for K visa applicants

U.S. immigration law requires immigrant visa applicants to obtain certain vaccinations (listed below) prior to the issuance of an immigrant visa. Panel physicians who conduct medical examinations are required to verify that immigrant visa applicants have met vaccination requirements, or that it is medically inappropriate for the visa applicant to receive one or more of the listed vaccinations:

Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, polio, measles, mumps, rubella, rotavirus, hib, hepatitis A, hepatitis B, meningococcal, varicella, pneumococcal, influenza

In order to assist the panel physician and to avoid delays in the processing of an immigrant visa, all immigrant visa applicants should have their vaccination records available for the panel physician’s review at the time of the immigrant medical examination. Visa applicants should consult with their regular health care provider to obtain a copy of their immunization record, if one is available. If you do not have a vaccination record, the panel physician will work with you to determine which vaccinations you may need to meet the requirements. Certain waivers of the vaccination requirement are available upon the recommendation of the panel physician. Only a physician can determine which of the listed vaccinations are medically appropriate for you, given your age, medical history, and current medical condition.

Why argue with a lawyer :) Besides, if these requirements were applicable to Russia, Ukraine, Belarus and a whole lot of post USSR countries, many a US fiance would warm their own beds forever alone

Edited by HP+IC

1 minute ago, HP+IC said:

Why argue with a lawyer :)

Sorry but not a lawyer but I have been dong this a tad more than you. If you can use "facts" then I am all in for changing my answer and learning from you. I find that sometimes I am wrong. Around here things can change on the drop of a dime so that's why I asked for your source. I took my time and read through what you "quoted" which led me to the same answer that our conversation started from. BTW. Good luck on your journey.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
38 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

Sorry but not a lawyer but I have been dong this a tad more than you. If you can use "facts" then I am all in for changing my answer and learning from you. I find that sometimes I am wrong. Around here things can change on the drop of a dime so that's why I asked for your source. I took my time and read through what you "quoted" which led me to the same answer that our conversation started from. BTW. Good luck on your journey.

Thank you. I personally appreciate advice you're giving to VJers a lot. The final explanatory  reference https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html

Medical Examination and Vaccination Requirements

K visa applicants are encouraged to get the vaccinations required under U.S. immigration law for immigrant visa applicants.  Although such vaccinations are not required for K visa issuance, they will be required when adjusting status to that of legal permanent resident following your marriage. Applicants are therefore encouraged to fulfill these vaccination requirements at the time of the medical examination. See Vaccination Requirements for IV Applicants for the list of required vaccinations and additional information.

Since half of those shots are not physically available outside the US or Europe, it will be discriminatory to request them. Also K1s are doing a non-immigrant DS-160 like B1/B2s etc instead of DS-260 which CR1/IR1s do, so their vaccinations are handled in a clearly different way. And finally, once having immigrated and filed for AOS, your vaccinations will come for you though probably in a more civilized way and at much bigger cost right out of your pocket. So K1 may not be denied due to lack of vaccinations.

The only two vaccines that she may have problems with are MMR and flu vaccine. She can get the rest as they are not made with egg products. She can probably get a waiver for the MMR and I believe the flu vaccine is optional. Good luck!  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

@Greenbaumand @HP+IC, it seems like there is confusion because you're arguing with each other, but you both are on the same side of the argument somehow.

Look back at both of your posts. Both of you support the argument that immunizations are encouraged but not required for K1 visas. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
1 hour ago, JMEngland said:

@Greenbaumand @HP+IC, it seems like there is confusion because you're arguing with each other, but you both are on the same side of the argument somehow.

Look back at both of your posts. Both of you support the argument that immunizations are encouraged but not required for K1 visas. 

Looks like the confusion began with a typo in one of @Greenbaum's post that was fixed a couple minutes later; maybe @HP+IC didn't see the edit was recently made.

Original post:

12 hours ago, Greenbaum said:

No they will deny her because of the vaccination. Certain waivers of the vaccination requirement are available upon the recommendation of the panel physician.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/vaccinations.html

Edited post:

12 hours ago, Greenbaum said:

No they will not deny her because of the vaccination. Certain waivers of the vaccination requirement are available upon the recommendation of the panel physician.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/vaccinations.html  and

K visa applicants are encouraged to get the vaccinations required under U.S. immigration law for immigrant visa applicants.  Although such vaccinations are not required for K visa issuance, they will be required when adjusting status to that of legal permanent resident following your marriage. Applicants are therefore encouraged to fulfill these vaccination requirements at the time of the medical examination.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

2 hours ago, JMEngland said:

1 hour ago, TM92 said:

Looks like the confusion began with a typo in one of @Greenbaum's post that was fixed a couple minutes later; maybe @HP+IC didn't see the edit was recently made.

Original post:

Edited post:

It's been settled. Thanks for your observances.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Considering how many folks coming here on K1s that have to get all or additional vaccinations at the AOS stage, in many cases requiring a whole new medical exam by a civil surgeon, I think the answer is fairly obvious, K1s are not required to get the vaccinations, only encouraged.  Now at the AOS stage, there may be some sort of waiver available for those that either cannot take a vaccine due to an allergy, or due to other objections, but that is later down the road.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Bill & Katya said:

Considering how many folks coming here on K1s that have to get all or additional vaccinations at the AOS stage, in many cases requiring a whole new medical exam by a civil surgeon, I think the answer is fairly obvious, K1s are not required to get the vaccinations, only encouraged.  Now at the AOS stage, there may be some sort of waiver available for those that either cannot take a vaccine due to an allergy, or due to other objections, but that is later down the road.

Exactly!  Very simple. 

Edited by Diane and Chris

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 11/11/2018 at 11:47 AM, Ninja Joe said:

That's good news, thank you.😊👍 She actually read that here in the U.S., we have developed vaccines without egg content specifically for allergics. That is our goal: When she arrives here, request shots safe for allergic people.

Find information about those new vaccines, probably they are already registered in other countries too, you just need to know the manufacturer and a simple google search will do. 

NOA 1 *NEW* USCIS website: March 01, 2018

RFE USCIS website: September 26, 2018

RFE Hard copy: October 01, 2018

RFE Response Sent:  October 10, 2018

RFE Received by USCIS:  October 16, 2018

NOA2!!!!! *NEW* USCIS website: November 2, 2018

NVC Received: November 14, 2018

NVC Case Number: November 29, 2018

NVC In Transit: December 11, 2018

NVC Ready: December 13, 2018

Medical: February 18, 2019

CAS (Biometrics): February 19, 2019

Interview: February 20, 2019 - APPROVED!

CEAC Issued: Februery 27, 2019

VOH: March 12, 2019

POE: March 23, 2019

Marriage: May 10, 2019

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
3 hours ago, Bill & Katya said:

Spot on. I think the best way to go about it is to just get what you can at the time but don't stress about it. Take care of the rest once the beneficiary is in the States. The only advantage I could see is that they might be cheaper in home country, but even that is an "if". 

There are wavers in the US when people cannot receive immunizations due to an allergy. Nobody will force her to receive something that causes an anaphylactic reaction if she has a signed, notified letter from a medical professional. They may require additional blood tests to certify she's healthy but they won't deny her visa because of it. Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.