JMCKNG

November 2018 AOS Filers

3,118 posts in this topic

So on top of mailing it from the closest post office and scheduling an infopass, I'm currently on hold with USCIS waiting to berate someone ask why the English birth certificate in English wasn't sufficient.

They have horrible hold music. Its killing my head

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, rrobin0609 said:

So on top of mailing it from the closest post office and scheduling an infopass, I'm currently on hold with USCIS waiting to berate someone ask why the English birth certificate in English wasn't sufficient.

They have horrible hold music. Its killing my head

Yeah I’m surprised because my BC is in English and my native language and the certified copy is is on the not so clear side and it was fine. So I’m dumbfounded that you got an RFIE for a BC that is clearly in English! 

4 hours ago, JunkTardis said:

Okay, so I am now BEYOND confused about my RFIE. I'm about to start a topic to ask about it. But anyway, apparently they don't seem to like my Birth Certificate for some odd reason! I have included the relevant information below with personal information blanked out. If anyone has any ideas, please throw them my way! 

I should add, this Birth Certificate IS a certified, full copy issued by my government and was accepted at every time I have used it, either at home or during my K1 application.

pBdQ8X8.jpg

gS0wuBR.jpg

m2MiQaX.jpg

Have you checked out the Visa Reciprocity link in the RFE letter and checked to see that your BC is considered valid according to your country?

Maybe yours wasnt "issued by the appropriate civil authority"?

Edited by K1visaHopeful

15 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Have you checked out the Visa Reciprocity link in the RFE letter and checked to see that your BC is considered valid according to your country?

Maybe yours wasnt "issued by the appropriate civil authority"?

Confirmed:

9ClY8Ct.png

cWSWCiJ.jpg

Long form version has been supplied with both parents name. @rrobin0609 just managed to get through to USCIS on the phone but the lady seemed just as confused as we were. Their systems were apparently down though so she couldn't access our case.

For the record she did confirm that USCIS online has been unreliable in not so many words in regards to updating case information @jakejon since I know you've been annoyed by this 

I'm gonna call again in the morning since I have to go into work an hour early. She said we just missed out on the immigration officers being there to escalate the call. She did say we should make an infopass which we've already done.

4 hours ago, JunkTardis said:

Okay, so I am now BEYOND confused about my RFIE. I'm about to start a topic to ask about it. But anyway, apparently they don't seem to like my Birth Certificate for some odd reason! I have included the relevant information below with personal information blanked out. If anyone has any ideas, please throw them my way! 

I should add, this Birth Certificate IS a certified, full copy issued by my government and was accepted at every time I have used it, either at home or during my K1 application.

pBdQ8X8.jpg

gS0wuBR.jpg

m2MiQaX.jpg

This is utterly ridiculous!! As if this whole process wasn't frustrating enough..😡😡

I'm a December 2018 filer; but i just checked my UK birth certificate and it looks identical to yours.

The only thing i did notice; mine only states registration district as "Birmingham, Metropolitan District of Birmingham" as yours does the same with "Wolverhampton".

Nowhere on my BC does it document or record United Kingdom? Do you think this could a reason for confusion (i mean, i'd hope they've seen 100s of UK BCs and would recognise them 🤨)

I hope you get a solution very quickly to your RFE..

11 hours ago, Joe_UK said:

This is utterly ridiculous!! As if this whole process wasn't frustrating enough..😡😡

I'm a December 2018 filer; but i just checked my UK birth certificate and it looks identical to yours.

The only thing i did notice; mine only states registration district as "Birmingham, Metropolitan District of Birmingham" as yours does the same with "Wolverhampton".

Nowhere on my BC does it document or record United Kingdom? Do you think this could a reason for confusion (i mean, i'd hope they've seen 100s of UK BCs and would recognise them 🤨)

I hope you get a solution very quickly to your RFE..

Yeah, you're telling me! We've pretty much come to the conclusion that my BC is totally fine but that they just lost it. This is just what happens when you hold onto documents for 6 months.

The NBC in Lee's Summit is 15 mins from where I live, so if I ever end up working there I'll show them how NOT to lose documents like this.

As far as I saw, you're right. Nowhere does it show country of issue but I thought this was pretty normal and that they'd know this having received many UK BC's.

Thank you though! My wife is repeat calling USCIS this morning to clarify, and I have an InfoPass scheduled for Tuesday for another matter so I'll also raise it with them then and see what they say. All I could really do was re-send another copy, you can't translate a BC that's in English, to English that makes no sense at all

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
1 hour ago, JunkTardis said:

Yeah, you're telling me! We've pretty much come to the conclusion that my BC is totally fine but that they just lost it. This is just what happens when you hold onto documents for 6 months.

The NBC in Lee's Summit is 15 mins from where I live, so if I ever end up working there I'll show them how NOT to lose documents like this.

As far as I saw, you're right. Nowhere does it show country of issue but I thought this was pretty normal and that they'd know this having received many UK BC's.

Thank you though! My wife is repeat calling USCIS this morning to clarify, and I have an InfoPass scheduled for Tuesday for another matter so I'll also raise it with them then and see what they say. All I could really do was re-send another copy, you can't translate a BC that's in English, to English that makes no sense at all

I have been dealing with the US government for a while and I know how they accept and deny things so I have learn every acceptable document in the world. For example in my home country you take a birth certificate for foreign use so they include the country and everything. Then I take it to be translated by my country's official translating service (it takes freaking months but well they accept that one). Then I take the official translations and originals and have them be stamped with the Apostille stamp. Also I know that everyone says send in the copied and that might as well work perfectly for many. But I always make extra certified copies and send them in. This was a lot of extra work and it took me months to compete the packet and a lot of frustration. I haven't received a RFE or anything yet.  Copies work perfectly but US authorities have a hard on for stamped and authorized papers and originals so I always take the extra mile to make sure everything I provided was overly stamped approved and authorized. I even had my marriage license stamped with the Apostille stamp I just shows them that there is no way on earth this copy is fake or altered. I did the same process with every single document possible. In the past I think that USCIS was far more relaxed in their applications. Currently, they are scrutinizing every single application and RFEs have increase dramatically. Again I know copies work and I don't want to say that everyone who provides copies will receive an RFE but I think certified copies can't be disputed. I also send the double amount of everything. Just in case they lose one I included a second envelope with all document backups. 

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
3 minutes ago, rrobin0609 said:

Started my call with USCIS at 7:03am CST. "You're wait time will be 1-3 minutes". It picked up to their tier 1 officer immediately. I explained the BC issue and she escalated my call. "You're wait time is 5-10 minutes". After an hour of sitting on hold some guy picks up and asks me my name and date of birth.

Him: Are you calling for yourself or someone else?

Me: I'm calling on behalf of my husband

Him: Is he with you?

Me: No, because I have to be at work. And guess what!? He can't be with me at work because he can't be employed because you all are slow

Him: *sits in silence for about 30 seconds* I need his authorization to discuss the case

Me: I got his authorization before I left for work

Him: I need to hear him say it

Me: Well, he can't because he's not here.

Him: Then there is nothing I can do for you right now

Me: So you're gonna let me sit on hold for an hour last night and an hour this morning and then go 'sorry we wasted your life'? Just like with how long this ******** process is taking?

Him: *More silence*

Me: Why did someone say they were going to escalate my call if they knew you all couldn't do anything if my husband wasn't present with me?

Him: *30 seconds of silence* I don't know
Me: You need to provide better training. That should have been told to me immediately rather than wasting my day.

Me: *hangs up*

If any of you all ever wanted to yell at USCIS, I got you already.

Literally that is exactly that happened to my wife. I called back furious checked with them and it is true. Spouse can call for I-485 but not for I-765.

3 minutes ago, LisaLisa said:

Literally that is exactly that happened to my wife. I called back furious checked with them and it is true. Spouse can call for I-485 but not for I-765.

I was calling for I-485 :(

25 minutes ago, rrobin0609 said:

Started my call with USCIS at 7:03am CST. "You're wait time will be 1-3 minutes". It picked up to their tier 1 officer immediately. I explained the BC issue and she escalated my call. "You're wait time is 5-10 minutes". After an hour of sitting on hold some guy picks up and asks me my name and date of birth.

Him: Are you calling for yourself or someone else?

Me: I'm calling on behalf of my husband

Him: Is he with you?

Me: No, because I have to be at work. And guess what!? He can't be with me at work because he can't be employed because you all are slow

Him: *sits in silence for about 30 seconds* I need his authorization to discuss the case

Me: I got his authorization before I left for work

Him: I need to hear him say it

Me: Well, he can't because he's not here.

Him: Then there is nothing I can do for you right now

Me: So you're gonna let me sit on hold for an hour last night and an hour this morning and then go 'sorry we wasted your life'? Just like with how long this ******** process is taking?

Him: *More silence*

Me: Why did someone say they were going to escalate my call if they knew you all couldn't do anything if my husband wasn't present with me?

Him: *30 seconds of silence* I don't know
Me: You need to provide better training. That should have been told to me immediately rather than wasting my day.

Me: *hangs up*

If any of you all ever wanted to yell at USCIS, I got you already.

Wasn't sure about liking your post, as this level of incompetence is not to be liked. I'm glad you had the chance to let them know. 

People tend to claim that the backlog and longer waiting times are caused by increased scrutiny, but it is clear that the lack of professionalism is to blame. 

P.S.: There should be an angry/ infuriated emoji on the forum. 

Edited by Allaboutwaiting

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.