MichaelD1980

I have no income & no assets, will that affect my wife's chance to get a U.S. visa even if she has a joint sponsor?

116 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, hm139 said:

Wow, people on here are being super ableist. This guy went through the hurdles of proving his disability to the SSA. No one does that if they don't truly need it. He's clearly miserable. Why shouldn't a person like him be able to marry who he wants? Or should only the rich and able be able to marry?

OP, I can think of a few jobs for you. Public libraries often have jobs where they need people to organize and put books away. You could try applying for a job like that. Or an Amazon warehouse -- I think those jobs are very physical and stressful but my perception is there's not a lot of social interaction involved. My last suggestion is to look for online transcribing jobs. You have to be very good at English grammar for those, but you can absolutely do them from your house. If you got a job like that, it might be easier for you to just move to the Philippines and work remotely, because your money would go further there.

Oh ok, yeah, thanks for the comment

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

One thing to keep in mind ... our scrutiny here will be a cake walk compared to the scrutiny from CO's during the immigration process....

Edited by debbiedoo

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

5 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

VJ is one of the most judgemental and least supportive communities out there.

Possibly (that's an opinion), but it is one of the best community-driven sources for peer-reviewed facts relating to US immigration.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

5 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

VJ is one of the most judgemental and least supportive communities out there. Also, it's not against TOS to chastise people asking for advice or to give useless, unsolicited life advice. So don't beat yourself up about the treatment you got here 

Ok thanks, I'm still trying to calm down, I didn't think people would be so mean, I was just asking help and WOW look what their saying, one person said my post was pogus and said I am a foreigner, moreless saying I am not an American I guess.

5 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

One thing to keep in mind ... our scrutiny here will be a cake walk compared to the scrutiny from CO's during the AOS process....

Yeah, probably so, I just wish people wasn't so mean. Well I'm gonna try to forget about what everyone has said to me here and if I need anymore help I'll ask the USCIS or NVC.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, MichaelD1980 said:

Yeah, probably so, I just wish people wasn't so mean. Well I'm gonna try to forget about what everyone has said to me here and if I need anymore help I'll ask the USCIS or NVC.

youre unlikely to get much HELP from them lol

Another thing to keep in mind, is VJ, for all its wonderful information and resources, is not a SUPPORT forum. Many of us, myself included, tend to be very brash and forthright in our words. It doesn't make us mean, i promise you that, but it also doesn't make it any less true (and people don't like the truth). You have an uphill battle. If youve only met once and married on that visit (which was several years ago it seems), that will be yet another obstacle to overcome.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

ROC

2 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

youre unlikely to get much HELP from them lol

Another thing to keep in mind, is VJ, for all its wonderful information and resources, is not a SUPPORT forum. Many of us, myself included, tend to be very brash and forthright in our words. It doesn't make us mean, i promise you that, but it also doesn't make it any less true (and people don't like the truth). You have an uphill battle. If youve only met once and married on that visit (which was several years ago it seems), that will be yet another obstacle to overcome.

I meant her twice, last year I visited her again. I was worried about everything expiring, I thought if I got a job I would have to wait 1 to 3 years to show tax returns, so I called the NVC they said the 2 previous years are optional and she told me the petition that has already been approved will not expire as long as I call them at least once a year it keeps our case open and I don't have to pay the government fee's again, so once I get the affidavits of support and all the documents sent this week, we just wait to see if they approve it, the woman from the NVC couldn't tell me much but she did say the NVC accepts joint sponsors but the final decision will be up to the CO and they have to take many factory into consideration, she told me she can't tell me if my wife will be approved or not but she did say she would not be denied on just that one factor alone. My wife is young, healthy, graduated, went to collage and speaks very good English, I think that will help.

Timeline
1 minute ago, MichaelD1980 said:

I called the NVC they said the 2 previous years are optional and she told me the petition that has already been approved will not expire as long as I call them at least once a year it keeps our case open and I don't have to pay the government fee's again

I'm not an expert on the CR1 process, but im not sure thats correct. you may want to double check. i do think they expire (i know K1s do)

We arent kidding when we say these help lines and customer service lines are MIS-INFORMATION lines. not saying thats the case here, but ive never heard that a CR1 does not expire as long as you 'check in' on it. someone else may know for sure...

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

ROC

2 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

I'm not an expert on the CR1 process, but im not sure thats correct. you may want to double check. i do think they expire (i know K1s do)

We arent kidding when we say these help lines and customer service lines are MIS-INFORMATION lines. not saying thats the case here, but ive never heard that a CR1 does not expire as long as you 'check in' on it. someone else may know for sure...

Well, even though the NVC told me I only need to call at least once a year I think I have called them 4 times now within the last few months, last time I called I asked her if they are keeping a record of each time I call, she said yes and told me I have one year from the day I called. I actually got the approval notice back on December 5, so it has not been a full year yet so it wouldn't have time to expire anyways but like the lady said each time I call the NVC I'm extending the case another year.

2 minutes ago, poolemit said:

Debbiedoo, just curious what have you got against OP so much? He's really just asking for help.

There is a one-year contact requirement with NVC, yes. In my experience, NVC tends to be much better with phone help than USCIS. 

I noticed the NVC is much more helpful then the USCIS also and very polite.

Edited by MichaelD1980

30 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

I-130s do not expire. As long as you stay in contact, they should keep it open.

An I-129F does expire.

An I-130 that is left alone for too long will be sent to the NRC, then eventually destroyed.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

1 hour ago, geowrian said:

Possibly (that's an opinion), but it is one of the best community-driven sources for peer-reviewed facts relating to US immigration.

It does have good information, yes, if you can filter all the unhelpful and rude posts. 

1 hour ago, debbiedoo said:

1 hour ago, debbiedoo said:

Many of us, myself included, tend to be very brash and forthright in our words. It doesn't make us mean, i promise you that, but it also doesn't make it any less true (and people don't like the truth).

All the unsolicited advice and judgment on his personal situation is not "the truth", it's just people's personal opinions and useless, irrelevant to immigration advice. The truth is that he can use his sister as a joint sponsor. Anything beyond that is not helpful or "the truth" 

44 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

It does have good information, yes, if you can filter all the unhelpful and rude posts. 

All the unsolicited advice and judgment on his personal situation is not "the truth", it's just people's personal opinions and useless, irrelevant to immigration advice. The truth is that he can use his sister as a joint sponsor. Anything beyond that is not helpful or "the truth" 

Thanks Orange for your comment.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.