leiya

applying for removal conditions with no joint acc in bank

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Many community colleges offer community programs on financial planning and personal finance. Some US high schools have this as a required course. I suggest everyone who is uncertain about his/her financial literacy take courses, read reputable sites on the internet (Kiplinger is one of my favorite especially for retirement issues), read books (I like Suze Orman), watch the news, ...  Your future depends on it.

But, beware.  There are many fraudulent "financial advisors"; I have met more than one in my life who have tried to separate me from my hard earned dollars for their personal enrichment. 

In some households one person takes on the responsibilities of finances  while others share. In my house, I am the money woman; when DH worked, he brought me his paycheck unopened. Of course, we are now rapidly approaching our 50th anniversary. I had more time than he did and was more frugal.

I have all of the responsibilities - and worries. I wish he had been more interested because without me he is unable to even pay the bills; I have to have written instructions on what to do and when to do it.

You have to figure out what works in your family BUT- and it is a big consideration - some day one of you may be unable to work or handle ALL the financial issues of your family. You must be prepared.

13 hours ago, leiya said:

my question, regarding to my situation, is there anyone ever apply the removal conditions without no bank account and joint mortgage?  Thank you in advance. 

Yes, of course. I did.

Joint bank accounts and mortgage are examples of evidence. Every married couple can decide what works for them.

We had other evidence like joint car loan, insurances, tax returns, etc.

Of course, the more evidence you have, the better. If your evidence are not strong you might get an RFE or have a difficult interview. So, you need to provide everything you have.

22 hours ago, leiya said:

dear all member, 

today I'm going to start to collect all the evidence for my removal conditions  since my 2 years card is expiring. However, since the first time I've married my husband, I don't have joint account simply because I don't want to add conflict between us and because he is going to control and ask me every penny I spent. So, I decided to make my own bank account and spent my money with no questions. 

However, my car loan and car insurance plus health insurance are joint, plus we have joint tax returns. 

We also purchase the house we live in, without my name on it. According to him, because I wasn't there when they sign the paperwork and because I DONT contribute to pay the house mortgage. 

Mind you, he makes almost 15 times than me, so I'm not capable to pay the house loan. Other than that, I pay my own car & insurance also contributing for the food and small stuff. 

my question, regarding to my situation, is there anyone ever apply the removal conditions without no bank account and joint mortgage?  Thank you in advance. 

hi, in my case we don't have a joint bank account, I wasn't even asked for one at my interview!! actually we have really similar cases.. so don't worry about it! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
21 hours ago, leiya said:

You joint Tax returns - I'd advice got ahead and order Tax Transcripts from IRS. ==> Yes, we do tax together since we married

Your Driver Licenses  should (both) show the same address, correct? ==> Yes,it does

Joint car loan is a good thing, along with car and health insurances. ==> Yes, my car is under his name and mine, but technically I pay it independently. This one is a bit tricky to me, since the receipt of the payment will be from my own Bank statement, but I hope it's not a big deal.

What about House insurance?  - my husband also got approved for a loan before I moved to the US, but once House was bought, he put my name on House Insurance as well. Later, when I got my conditional green card, he added my name to House Title . ==> I dont think he put my name on it. I asked him long time ago and he said it's not a big deal. 

Utility bills? - see above., it was the same - my name wasn't on Title yet, but was added to utilities bill.

Phone  bill? Utilities are on his name and phone bills to because I'm using the number under his line. 

Do you have any 401 through work or on your own? Who is a beneficiary there?  I don't have 401K but he has his, and my name is beneficiary :)

You'll be fine. You have plenty of evidence IMO.

Good luck! :)

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

You should show that you are the beneficiaries on each other's accounts. That's free and easy to show.  

Do you have wills, living wills? 

It's not unusual to have separate finances, we merged a few things to facilitate ROC, but it's not efficient for us. 

hi @Lemonslice we don't have wills :( 

I was thinking of getting a joint account but at some points, i don't want them to assume that I made in only for ROC purposes. 

If only I can talk directly to them, I will just tell the truth, I really don't want to have joint account just to avoid argument or questions. Because that's the only reason I have separate account ^___^

5 hours ago, viajero said:

hi, in my case we don't have a joint bank account, I wasn't even asked for one at my interview!! actually we have really similar cases.. so don't worry about it! 

@viajero  hi there, thank you for your reply, it makes me feel better :)

but do u have house mortgage under both ur name because in my case, I dont. we also don't have kids together, which I heard also become another question. 

5 hours ago, usmsbow said:

You'll be fine. You have plenty of evidence IMO.

Good luck! :)

@usmsbow Hi there, terimakasih  banyak :)

34 minutes ago, leiya said:

hi @Lemonslice we don't have wills :( 

I was thinking of getting a joint account but at some points, i don't want them to assume that I made in only for ROC purposes. 

If only I can talk directly to them, I will just tell the truth, I really don't want to have joint account just to avoid argument or questions. Because that's the only reason I have separate account ^___^

When you open a bank account, you have to designate a beneficiary, who is yours?  who is your husbands?   Print those, or ask your bank to print them.  

Otherwise, wills are important to get - not just for ROC, but in life.  

21 hours ago, David & Zoila said:

You have what sounds like a very selfish husband and a strange relationship.  Most, not all Americans deposit their paychecks into a joint bank account.  Most Americans hold title to their house together.  Hold a joint mortgage.  What happens if one of you passes away unexpectedly?  The survivor will have a mess with inheritance taxes, probate, etc...  If I were the agent  reviewing your case I would be very suspicious.  Too many red flags for my approval.  Sound like you and your spouse have an arrangement, not a marriage.

thank you for your assumption :) 

everybody is free to share their opinion and even being judgemental is not always a bad thing.  

May God Bless You Ate/Kuya. Salamat :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

We are sending our application this week.  We have had 2 immigration lawyers review it, and both said it looks fine.  We don't have joint bank accounts -although we have access to each others accounts.  That is, we don't both contribute to an account and pay household bills from there.   We each have our own accounts.  Also the mortgage and deed are in my name only.  

However, we have a lot of other evidence, which is hopefully enough to show we are in fact a couple.

So can you make your case stronger in the next few weeks?

Can you show you traveled together (Airbnb receipts showing both names, airline tickets, bus tickets, hotels, meals etc)  Do you have any photos of traveling together?

Do you have photos of you two with his or your family, such as holidays or birthdays?

Photos support your case, but don't prove it. So, something like wills, power of attorney, beneficiary on retirement accounts are really good.... any doctor or dentist bills he paid for you from his account? Can he add your name as the person "payable on death" to his bank accounts?  Adding you to the homeowners insurance is easy-sorry I can't remember if you mentioned that already.

You have some time to improve your case, so best to focus on that and know that many people with separate bank accounts do get approved.

On 10/6/2018 at 6:38 PM, leiya said:

@viajero  hi there, thank you for your reply, it makes me feel better :)

but do u have house mortgage under both ur name because in my case, I dont. we also don't have kids together, which I heard also become another question. 

I don’t either, no mortgage no kids.. 

No joint kids here either! LOL. 

It would be some kinda miracle for us to have kids. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
1 hour ago, NikLR said:

No joint kids here either! LOL. 

It would be some kinda miracle for us to have kids. 

have-you-tried-unblessing-and-blessing-i

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.