18 posts in this topic

You need to renew your passport.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

29 minutes ago, TNJ17 said:

Nope. Renew passport. Technically you should renew your passport 6 months or more before its expiration date. 

28 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

You need to renew your passport.

Hi guys. Thank you so much for your reply. The thing is the embassies of my country is so far from my States right now. How, will it affect their dicision to approve or reject my renewal? 

6 hours ago, Titania said:

Hi guys. Thank you so much for your reply. The thing is the embassies of my country is so far from my States right now. How, will it affect their dicision to approve or reject my renewal? 

I believe that you need it for the bio metrics appointment.

Please fill out your timeline or tell us you citizenship and state and folks might be able to help you better.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

I don't know the correct answer 100%, but I think people are giving out incorrect info on this thread.

I never remember needing my passport for my Bio metrics appointment when I applied for Citizenship. Or my spouse in their Bio Metrics for I485.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline
10 hours ago, Titania said:

They won’t see you for whatever you come in. If you’re called for biometrics, you won’t be able to get them done because you need a valid passport. If they call you for an interview they won’t see you because they can’t verify your identity. You won’t get passed the door. The first thing they check is your ID. Your entire process will be put on hold until you do. Best be making a trip to the nearest embassy and get it renewed. It doesn’t take long. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline
1 hour ago, NJF1 said:

I don't know the correct answer 100%, but I think people are giving out incorrect info on this thread.

I never remember needing my passport for my Bio metrics appointment when I applied for Citizenship. Or my spouse in their Bio Metrics for I485.

Oh yes you do. I just had mine in the summer and they asked me for my passport and checked it. They checked it at check in at the door. Then at reception with the officer then at the biometrics machine before scanning my fingers. They check it. And I was literally the only person there. There was no one else just me. And yet they checked my passport 3 times. 

1 minute ago, TNJ17 said:

Oh yes you do. I just had mine in the summer and they asked me for my passport and checked it. They checked it at check in at the door. Then at reception with the officer then at the biometrics machine before scanning my fingers. They check it. And I was literally the only person there. There was no one else just me. And yet they checked my passport 3 times. 

I showed them my State ID. This was in NJ.

My passport is expired as well. Filed my i751 in July, biometrics in August. I live in MA and had biometrics done in CT.

I had my state id with me but they only wanted to see my green card.

they want a form of id and don’t specify which one, so there’s no need to renew your passport just for this.

edit: they do list forms of id they accept such as passport, military id, drivers license and so on. As long as it’s valid you’re able to get your biometrics done. If anyone gives you a hard time show them your letter and it’s explained there. 

Edited by p-ana

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

As for ROC - I don't see how an expired passport can cause any troubles for I-751 process. 

But - current processing time for I-751 varies from 14 to 22 months - depends on Service Center.

So, at some point you may need I-551 stamp as a proof of your residency, which usually is stamped in the passport. Or - what if there is some kind of emergency situation back to your home country or you just simply need to travel overseas. It would be really a good idea to renew your passport.

P.S. I live in MO, the Embassy of my country is in Washington DC. Well, far enough, but I got the passport renewed.

It happens all the time - passports get expired, people have to go to the Embassies. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
2 hours ago, Ksenia_O said:

As for ROC - I don't see how an expired passport can cause any troubles for I-751 process. 

But - current processing time for I-751 varies from 14 to 22 months - depends on Service Center.

So, at some point you may need I-551 stamp as a proof of your residency, which usually is stamped in the passport. Or - what if there is some kind of emergency situation back to your home country or you just simply need to travel overseas. It would be really a good idea to renew your passport.

P.S. I live in MO, the Embassy of my country is in Washington DC. Well, far enough, but I got the passport renewed.

It happens all the time - passports get expired, people have to go to the Embassies.  

I don't know if OP is from my country (Venezuela) but we are having really big problems with passport renewals, there are people waiting since 2017 to get a new passport. It's not the US problem but it's either our fault so... yes sometimes is complicated to get a new passport, it's not a black & white situation.

NOA 1 *NEW* USCIS website: March 01, 2018

RFE USCIS website: September 26, 2018

RFE Hard copy: October 01, 2018

RFE Response Sent:  October 10, 2018

RFE Received by USCIS:  October 16, 2018

NOA2!!!!! *NEW* USCIS website: November 2, 2018

NVC Received: November 14, 2018

NVC Case Number: November 29, 2018

NVC In Transit: December 11, 2018

NVC Ready: December 13, 2018

Medical: February 18, 2019

CAS (Biometrics): February 19, 2019

Interview: February 20, 2019 - APPROVED!

CEAC Issued: Februery 27, 2019

VOH: March 12, 2019

POE: March 23, 2019

Marriage: May 10, 2019

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.