Jump to content

24 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hey,  So my Hubby and I received our NOA 1 on July 6th. When looking on the USCIS Site it says 5.5-7 months as of now. Has anybody else submitted around the same time and heard any update yet? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Dat_sass said:

Hey,  So my Hubby and I received our NOA 1 on July 6th. When looking on the USCIS Site it says 5.5-7 months as of now. Has anybody else submitted around the same time and heard any update yet? 

If you are already married, your husband is ineligible for the K-1 visa.  He will need a spousal visa instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dat_sass said:

I call him my Hubby, I filed the correct form. We are engaged. 

Ah, okay.  I would be careful with that, as there have been people here on VJ who have been denied the K-1 for appearing to be married, particularly in Lagos.

 

Petitions filed in July of 2018 will not be adjudicated until starting in January or February of 2019 at the earliest.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jorgedig said:

Ah, okay.  I would be careful with that, as there have been people here on VJ who have been denied the K-1 for appearing to be married, particularly in Lagos.

 

Petitions filed in July of 2018 will not be adjudicated until starting in January or February of 2019 at the earliest.  

Our goal for our wedding is April 19th, do you think that would work if all goes smoothly? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dat_sass said:

Our goal for our wedding is April 19th, do you think that would work if all goes smoothly? 

Honestly, I think that is a very optimistic yet unlikely goal......         I wouldn't pay for anything wedding-related, including travel, until you have the visa in hand.   

 

How many visits have you had?  Lagos is an unusually tough consulate for K-1s.  I recommend reading as much as you possibly can here on VJ - first hand accounts from folks who have gone through Lagos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jorgedig said:

Honestly, I think that is a very optimistic yet unlikely goal......         I wouldn't pay for anything wedding-related, including travel, until you have the visa in hand.   

 

How many visits have you had?  Lagos is an unusually tough consulate for K-1s.  I recommend reading as much as you possibly can here on VJ - first hand accounts from folks who have gone through Lagos.

What about it makes you say it's unlikely? I'm going out my second time in November. 

 

Yeah, I've been looking through here for a while, I had to make a new account.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dat_sass said:

What about it makes you say it's unlikely? I'm going out my second time in November. 

 

Yeah, I've been looking through here for a while, I had to make a new account.  

9 months from filing to marriage on a K-1 through a high fraud embassy is just not something I have seen in my years of prowling these boards.  Especially this year.  Maybe someone who has been through the process in Nigeria can weigh in?

 

In my own experience, (through Auckland, NZ, a very low fraud and low volume consulate), it has taken  8 months to even get to the interview stage.  Our petition was approved with no RFEs in 185 days (fast!!), and from NVC it went very quickly.  My fiancé had his interview last Thursday, and we are still waiting for the official approval/visa issued as his medical documents didn't arrive to the consulate until Friday.  We have been lucky and are quite far into the process compared with the other February 2018 filers.

 

Throw in an RFE, delays at NVC, delays in medical or interview appointments, and potential AP, and there is just no way to complete it to POE and marriage in 9 months.   You could get really lucky and it could happen, but for planning purposes (especially where things are paid for), I wouldn't risk it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Ah, okay.  I would be careful with that, as there have been people here on VJ who have been denied the K-1 for appearing to be married, particularly in Lagos.

 

Petitions filed in July of 2018 will not be adjudicated until starting in January or February of 2019 at the earliest.  

hey Jorgedig can you tell me when petitions filed in may will be adjudicated cr1?

Edited by mrniceguy88

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mrniceguy88 said:

hey Jorgedig can you tell me when petitions filed in may will be adjudicated cr1?

This shows the current processing dates by service center, based on VJ data.  USCIS also posts official processing data on their site.   My guess for CR-1s, they will start looking at the ones from May 2018 next March.

 

Processing Dates 
for Common Forms:
 

USCIS Processing Time Estimates

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

This shows the current processing dates by service center, based on VJ data.  USCIS also posts official processing data on their site.   My guess for CR-1s, they will start looking at the ones from May 2018 next March.

 

Processing Dates 
for Common Forms:
 

USCIS Processing Time Estimates

 

Ok,thank you, i thought same too,just had to make sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jorgedig is correct. April 2019 is possible, but do not rely on it. K1's are taking close to a year to complete.

 

Also, calling your fiance "hubby" can lead to the CO thinking you two are already married and can deny you.

 

Read up on this site, especially the Africa section, and research as much as you can.


“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made; whether it is time, money, or separation or a combination of any or all.” - NuestraUnion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

Jorgedig is correct. April 2019 is possible, but do not rely on it. K1's are taking close to a year to complete.

 

Also, calling your fiance "hubby" can lead to the CO thinking you two are already married and can deny you.

 

Read up on this site, especially the Africa section, and research as much as you can.

Thank you, Jorgedig already explained this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i would not count on that fast of a timeline for nigeria. especially considering you have only met once (twice by the time you reach interview).


5/7/2018 K1       Application mailed

5/9/2018             Application rec'd and signed for (sent via fedex)

5/14/2018          NOA1 Email notification

5/18/2018          NOA1 Paper copy rec'd (i797C)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

58 K-1 visas were approved in Lagos in August of this year, based on US Dept. of State website.  It is impossible to say how many applications were made during that month, but it would be safe to assume that it was many more than 58.  Assuming 20 business days per month, they could maybe do at least ten interviews for K-1 per day, that would be 200 applications, 58 approvals.  So about a 29% chance.  That's just a VERY rough guess, it could be higher or lower than that, depending on the number of applications which is unknown.  Many VJ posters seem to think that Nigeria is a high fraud country, so it is most likely lower than 29% approval rate.  I would suggest more visits in person during the next 8 months while you wait for your interview, as many as possible.  And lots of evidence to document those visits.  Boarding passes, plane tickets, hotel receipts, photos...  If K-1 is denied, you can always get married and then apply for CR-1 spouse visa.  Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×