midwinterrose

​🇨🇷​Pura Vida​🇨🇷​ Costa Rica Filers

240 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

It's a good idea for the petitioner to be on the consular premises.  Sometimes, the CO will have questions or need information, and if the petitioner is there, things can be cleared up then, with no need for a return visit.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

On 1/2/2019 at 8:11 PM, cdee098 said:

Hey, all! Happy New Year! 

Just checking in with how things are going in CR! My fiance has his interview the 14th of this month, and our visa petition expires on the 20th, so I was getting a little nervous and wrote the embassy for an extension, they just encouraged him to mention it in his interview. However! Now with the government shutdown, I'm worried about the interview itself being cancelled/postponed and the petition expiring. When I called, they basically said if that happens, there's a protocol and you'll be notified (a little too pura vida for my nervous brain, hah!). Any word on how things are proceeding with the embassy and if they're anticipating any closures?

Additionally, I'm curious as to how long others have waited to receive their passports at the post? Trying to get an idea of when he could potentially arrive if all goes well. :)

Thanks, as always, and pura vida!

Hi! Did you end up going to the interview with him or did he go by himself? How did it go? I see everyone keeps recommending that the USC travels to CR for the interview, but my fiancée won´t be able to join me becaue of work and Im quite nervous about it. 

Good luck with everything!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline
9 hours ago, Luis P said:

Hi! Did you end up going to the interview with him or did he go by himself? How did it go? I see everyone keeps recommending that the USC travels to CR for the interview, but my fiancée won´t be able to join me becaue of work and Im quite nervous about it. 

I recently attended the interview with my fiance (now husband), and there were a couple other people there interviewing for the K1 visa who attended without their fiance.  You stand at the windows for the interviews, so it's fairly easy to eavesdrop, which I did fervently.

There was a young man in his mid 30's, and his interview lasted maybe 10-15 minutes and he was approved.  The questions seemed pretty routine; "How/where did you meet your fiance, how often do you see each other, where does she work?", etc.  They did seem to ask the same questions a few times each, worded in different ways, but it was very relaxed and friendly.

There was a middle-aged woman who was there for a CR1 visa, married to an American woman, whose interview also lasted about 10 minutes and she was approved.

There was a younger girl in her mid 20's maybe, with a toddler, and her interview took the longest, maybe 20-25 minutes.  I had a hard time hearing what they asked her, but it seemed that she was approved in the end.  The same interviewer who seemed to give her a bit of a hard time turned out to be our interviewer as well, so we were a little nervous.

The interviewer asked my fiance where we met (I hadn't written anything in the original I-129F application about how we first met) and he gave the hyper-specific answer, "On a farm, where she was at that time."  The interviewer kind of looked at me a little confused, and I explained that I used to live in CR, and that we had been neighbors.  She then asked my fiance if he had been to the U.S. before, and for how long, which he answered accordingly.  She also asked if he had been to Italy, and for how long (I had included copies of passport stamps with the I-129F), and then she asked me, "And you were in Italy...?," and I told her that I had been living and studying there and he had come to visit me.  She then asked how long we have known each other, and we both sort of looked at each other and both answered, "Twelve years".  "How long have you been dating?"  "Ten years."  "How long have you been engaged?" "Five years," to which she incredulously replied, "What took you so long?!"  I responded that I had been in college and wanted to finish my studies and get a job and all that good stuff first, and she nodded.  Then she said, "Well everything seems to be in order, you will receive your passport back with the visa in about 10 days."  My fiance asked if that meant we were approved and she replied, "Yes, congratulations, I wish you all the best," and my fiance grabbed me and gave me a big hug and kiss.  I was sort of expecting to get some sort of paper or something back from her, but there wasn't anything, so we tried to gather up our remaining papers and quickly make our way out before they changed their mind.

Don't worry too much, it was way easier than we expected, and people are approved all the time without their fiance being there, you'll be fine!

2018 K1 Filing to Approval: 322 days (RFE 29 Days)

Spoiler

I-129F mailed: Jan 26 2018

NOA1: Jan 29 2018 (old site), Feb 2 2018 (new site)

RFE: Aug 30 2018 (old site updated 8/30; new site 8/31 w/email and text)

RFE hard copy: rec'd 9/4; ret'd 9/6 (old site updated 9/7; new site 9/10, no text/email)

NOA2: Oct 5 2018 [249 days]  (old site updated 10/5; new site 10/7, no text/email)

Case #: Oct 31 2018 [27 days] (called to get number, no email from NVC)

Left NVC: Nov 13 2018 

Consulate Rec'd (DHL): Nov 19 2018

CEAC 'Ready' status: Nov 29 2018

Interview: Dec 17 2018 [Approved!]

POE: Jan 10 2019 [Los Angeles]

Marriage: Jan 12 2019 :wub::dance:

2019 AOS Filing to Approval: 81 Days (No RFE, No Expedite)

Spoiler

AOS Mailed: Feb 19 2019

NOA1: Feb 25 2019 (I-485, I-765, I-131)

Biometrics Appt. Letter Rcv'd: Mar 8 2019

Biometrics Appointment: Mar 20 2019

Recv'd Interview Appt. Notice: Apr 15 2019 [I-485] (ready to schedule 4/10, scheduled 4/11; old site)

Interview: May 17 2019 [Cleveland, OH]

Approved: May 17 2019  :dance:

Green Card Received: May 24 2019

2021 ROC Filing to Approval: 534 Days (LIN; No RFE, No Interview)

Spoiler

ROC Mailed: Mar 5 2021 (delivered 3/12)

NOA1: Apr 5 2021 (txt rcvd 4/7, check cashed 4/7, mail rcvd 4/9) 

Biometrics Re-used Notice Rcv'd: Apr 30 2021

Approved: Sep 21 2022 :dance:

Green Card Received: Sep 28 2022

2022 N400 Filing to Oath: 154 Days (Cleveland Field Office; No RFE)

Spoiler

N400 Submitted: Jun 16 2022 (online)

NOA1: Jun 16 2022 (rcv'd snail mail 6/24)

Biometrics Re-used Notice Rcv'd: Jun 16 2022 (rcv'd snail mail 6/24)

Interview Scheduled: Sep 6 2022 (cancelled due to A-file not arrived in time)

Interview Re-scheduled: Oct 21 2022

Approved: Oct 21 2022 :dance:

Oath Ceremony: Nov 16 2022 :wow:🇺🇸

event.png

Timeline
10 hours ago, Luis P said:

I was unable to attend with him, and he went on his own! While I certainly would have felt much more confident if we were both there, he did just fine! He said everyone was very polite, they asked him just a few questions as his paperwork was well-organized and complete, and he was approved! He arrives in just a few days, fingers crossed. :) Good luck to you as well! 

1 hour ago, radharose said:

I recently attended the interview with my fiance (now husband), and there were a couple other people there interviewing for the K1 visa who attended without their fiance.  You stand at the windows for the interviews, so it's fairly easy to eavesdrop, which I did fervently.

There was a young man in his mid 30's, and his interview lasted maybe 10-15 minutes and he was approved.  The questions seemed pretty routine; "How/where did you meet your fiance, how often do you see each other, where does she work?", etc.  They did seem to ask the same questions a few times each, worded in different ways, but it was very relaxed and friendly.

There was a middle-aged woman who was there for a CR1 visa, married to an American woman, whose interview also lasted about 10 minutes and she was approved.

There was a younger girl in her mid 20's maybe, with a toddler, and her interview took the longest, maybe 20-25 minutes.  I had a hard time hearing what they asked her, but it seemed that she was approved in the end.  The same interviewer who seemed to give her a bit of a hard time turned out to be our interviewer as well, so we were a little nervous.

The interviewer asked my fiance where we met (I hadn't written anything in the original I-129F application about how we first met) and he gave the hyper-specific answer, "On a farm, where she was at that time."  The interviewer kind of looked at me a little confused, and I explained that I used to live in CR, and that we had been neighbors.  She then asked my fiance if he had been to the U.S. before, and for how long, which he answered accordingly.  She also asked if he had been to Italy, and for how long (I had included copies of passport stamps with the I-129F), and then she asked me, "And you were in Italy...?," and I told her that I had been living and studying there and he had come to visit me.  She then asked how long we have known each other, and we both sort of looked at each other and both answered, "Twelve years".  "How long have you been dating?"  "Ten years."  "How long have you been engaged?" "Five years," to which she incredulously replied, "What took you so long?!"  I responded that I had been in college and wanted to finish my studies and get a job and all that good stuff first, and she nodded.  Then she said, "Well everything seems to be in order, you will receive your passport back with the visa in about 10 days."  My fiance asked if that meant we were approved and she replied, "Yes, congratulations, I wish you all the best," and my fiance grabbed me and gave me a big hug and kiss.  I was sort of expecting to get some sort of paper or something back from her, but there wasn't anything, so we tried to gather up our remaining papers and quickly make our way out before they changed their mind.

Don't worry too much, it was way easier than we expected, and people are approved all the time without their fiance being there, you'll be fine!

Amazing! You really have given me peace of mind. Thank you so much for taking the time to write your answer. Best wishes to you both!!

7 minutes ago, cdee098 said:

I was unable to attend with him, and he went on his own! While I certainly would have felt much more confident if we were both there, he did just fine! He said everyone was very polite, they asked him just a few questions as his paperwork was well-organized and complete, and he was approved! He arrives in just a few days, fingers crossed. :) Good luck to you as well! 

Thank you so much for your answer! Now I'm not as worried. I'm sure everything is gonna go great with his entry. Best wishes to you both! :) 

• 1 month later...
Filed: Other Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

Has anyone gone thru a recent interview? Just wanted to check how long it’s taking to get your passports back after an approved interview. Is there an option to pick it up instead of having it mailed? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
7 hours ago, Dprz22 said:

Has anyone gone thru a recent interview? Just wanted to check how long it’s taking to get your passports back after an approved interview. Is there an option to pick it up instead of having it mailed? 

good question I had my interview last Monday and don't know where's my passport.

Timeline
26 minutes ago, eduardo12305 said:

good question I had my interview last Monday and don't know where's my passport.

Sorry to hear. They scheduled my interview Monday right after Semana Santa. 🤨 Can’t get medical exams done prior interview because medical offices will be closed, which means I have to ask for 1 month off work.... :(

28 minutes ago, Dprz22 said:

Sorry to hear. They scheduled my interview Monday right after Semana Santa. 🤨 Can’t get medical exams done prior interview because medical offices will be closed, which means I have to ask for 1 month off work.... :(

What case are you? IR1/CR1 or a K-1... I didn't see that you have a timeline yet with dates. Just wondering I got CC on 02/20 and I am still waiting to be scheduled for an interview. When was your CC?

Timeline
52 minutes ago, Cari & Andy UB said:

What case are you? IR1/CR1 or a K-1... I didn't see that you have a timeline yet with dates. Just wondering I got CC on 02/20 and I am still waiting to be scheduled for an interview. When was your CC?

I’m a F2B. Had CC: 1/25/19. Yours is prob coming. :)

Timeline

Guys I have a question.

Today we sent out our packet and...

We just saw that pretty much everyone labeled the petitioner and beneficiary passport photos on the back with each corresponding name. 

And of course, we forgot and re saw this once the packet had been sent 🤦‍♀️

Is this enough of a reason for a RFE

My gut tells me that yes... 

If it helps at all, the CBP lady on my last trip stamped the entrance seal on the page that is right next to where my U.S. tourist visa page is, which shows my face and information of course. This part of my passport was scanned and photocopied and sent off with the packet. 

Will that be enough to save us perhaps? 

Thank you in advance for any promptly response. 

Edited by BunnyBoo
Spoiler

🐇 Sent I-129F: 03/14/2019 

🐇 I-129F NOA1: 03/22/2019 (Received The 18th)

🐇 I-129F NOA2: 06/15/2019 (85 days)

🐇Case transferred to NVC & Case# assigned: 07/10/2019 (25 days) 

🐇 NVC left: 07/23/2019 

🐇 Consulate Received: 07/26/2019 (CEAC switched to ready on the 30th) 

🐇 Interview date: 08/05/2019 (Approved :D:wub:!!!) 

Timeline

Oh also...

We paper clipped the passport photos to the I-129F itself, no little zip lock bags or anything like that...

We also paper clipped very neatly the whole application since it ended being a tad bit bulky, no folders or anything like that.

We also sent off 3 little brown baggies which contain pictures of us or gifts,  etc. For example: "Proof of having met within the last 2 years" sealed with some tape, not attached to the petition itself since it was impossible because of how bulky it ended up being. 

And no, the brown baggies do not have the petitioners name nor signature ( I know🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️)

Is there any chance that these baggies will be lost, they are inside the envelope itself alongside the packet?

I know a lot of these things are rookie mistakes. 

Am I just overreacting or does all this scream trouble/RFE or even outright denial?   

Spoiler

🐇 Sent I-129F: 03/14/2019 

🐇 I-129F NOA1: 03/22/2019 (Received The 18th)

🐇 I-129F NOA2: 06/15/2019 (85 days)

🐇Case transferred to NVC & Case# assigned: 07/10/2019 (25 days) 

🐇 NVC left: 07/23/2019 

🐇 Consulate Received: 07/26/2019 (CEAC switched to ready on the 30th) 

🐇 Interview date: 08/05/2019 (Approved :D:wub:!!!) 

Timeline
58 minutes ago, BunnyBoo said:

Oh also...

We paper clipped the passport photos to the I-129F itself, no little zip lock bags or anything like that...

We also paper clipped very neatly the whole application since it ended being a tad bit bulky, no folders or anything like that.

We also sent off 3 little brown baggies which contain pictures of us or gifts,  etc. For example: "Proof of having met within the last 2 years" sealed with some tape, not attached to the petition itself since it was impossible because of how bulky it ended up being. 

And no, the brown baggies do not have the petitioners name nor signature ( I know🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️)

Is there any chance that these baggies will be lost, they are inside the envelope itself alongside the packet?

I know a lot of these things are rookie mistakes. 

Am I just overreacting or does all this scream trouble/RFE or even outright denial?   

I paper-clipped our photos to the application, no baggie, no problem.  I think having your names on the backs of the photos is mostly precautionary in case they get separated from your packet.  Any person with any sense can figure out who is who if your packet includes your passport with your photo. I wouldn't expect you to get an RFE for that.  There might be a chance of those brown baggies getting lost in the shuffle, but if you included other evidence such as passport stamps, even if they did get misplaced it might not matter.  All we sent was copies of passport stamps and photos together as evidence of having met and that was enough.  If you're unlucky and something gets lost you could maybe get an RFE, but there's no way you'd get a denial for any of those things.

2018 K1 Filing to Approval: 322 days (RFE 29 Days)

Spoiler

I-129F mailed: Jan 26 2018

NOA1: Jan 29 2018 (old site), Feb 2 2018 (new site)

RFE: Aug 30 2018 (old site updated 8/30; new site 8/31 w/email and text)

RFE hard copy: rec'd 9/4; ret'd 9/6 (old site updated 9/7; new site 9/10, no text/email)

NOA2: Oct 5 2018 [249 days]  (old site updated 10/5; new site 10/7, no text/email)

Case #: Oct 31 2018 [27 days] (called to get number, no email from NVC)

Left NVC: Nov 13 2018 

Consulate Rec'd (DHL): Nov 19 2018

CEAC 'Ready' status: Nov 29 2018

Interview: Dec 17 2018 [Approved!]

POE: Jan 10 2019 [Los Angeles]

Marriage: Jan 12 2019 :wub::dance:

2019 AOS Filing to Approval: 81 Days (No RFE, No Expedite)

Spoiler

AOS Mailed: Feb 19 2019

NOA1: Feb 25 2019 (I-485, I-765, I-131)

Biometrics Appt. Letter Rcv'd: Mar 8 2019

Biometrics Appointment: Mar 20 2019

Recv'd Interview Appt. Notice: Apr 15 2019 [I-485] (ready to schedule 4/10, scheduled 4/11; old site)

Interview: May 17 2019 [Cleveland, OH]

Approved: May 17 2019  :dance:

Green Card Received: May 24 2019

2021 ROC Filing to Approval: 534 Days (LIN; No RFE, No Interview)

Spoiler

ROC Mailed: Mar 5 2021 (delivered 3/12)

NOA1: Apr 5 2021 (txt rcvd 4/7, check cashed 4/7, mail rcvd 4/9) 

Biometrics Re-used Notice Rcv'd: Apr 30 2021

Approved: Sep 21 2022 :dance:

Green Card Received: Sep 28 2022

2022 N400 Filing to Oath: 154 Days (Cleveland Field Office; No RFE)

Spoiler

N400 Submitted: Jun 16 2022 (online)

NOA1: Jun 16 2022 (rcv'd snail mail 6/24)

Biometrics Re-used Notice Rcv'd: Jun 16 2022 (rcv'd snail mail 6/24)

Interview Scheduled: Sep 6 2022 (cancelled due to A-file not arrived in time)

Interview Re-scheduled: Oct 21 2022

Approved: Oct 21 2022 :dance:

Oath Ceremony: Nov 16 2022 :wow:🇺🇸

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.