midwinterrose

​🇨🇷​Pura Vida​🇨🇷​ Costa Rica Filers

240 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Costa Rica
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Bradyn & Javier said:

The info needed for the medical/lab tests is in the packet. I believe the link to the packet has been posted in this thread a few times. Definitely ID and passports photos are required, your fiancé also should print the DS 160 confirmation page.

My fiancé did the lab tests and x-rays the same day and scheduled the physical exam 2 weeks later because we were trying to find his vaccinations records. I don’t have a good timeline but your fiancé can call one of the doctors and they will probably have more info. 

Cool, thank you! He's definitely going to get the labs and x-ray same day. He didn't have his vaccination records, but last time I visited we went to clínica bíblica and got them all redone, so now he has that card, thankfully! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

My fiance had his interview in San Jose on Monday and his visa was approved! I attended with him and the consular office asked me more questions that him. Overall it was very simple. If you have any questions, I'm happy to answer for those preparing for the interview. I will also write a review in the consulate section for CR.

For financial docs we provided I-134 form, pay stubs for past month, 2017 tax returns, w-2, letter from bank and employer letter (some docs were originals and some were copies like the employer & bank letters). We also brought monthly bank statements but they did not ask for these. It's important that the single status certificate is from the Civil Registry NOT the Alcaldia. Since my fiance is from Nicaragua he provided 2 certificates (one from each country). He also provided 2 police records - the CR one must state for tramites internacionales. His record from Nicaragua only state tramites migraciones and they accepted it. They reviewed all docs and returned the Nica docs back to him.

We were told his K-1 visa will be ready by the end of the week (other visa types would like 7-10 days)! Good luck to the rest of you!

Wow, congratulations! :) I am so happy for you all. It is so great I bet to be nearly done with this long process. Thank you so much for posting this information. I appreciate it and I wish you all the best. Let us know if anything else comes up. Blessings!

10 minutes ago, Bradyn & Javier said:

My fiance had his interview in San Jose on Monday and his visa was approved! I attended with him and the consular office asked me more questions that him. Overall it was very simple. If you have any questions, I'm happy to answer for those preparing for the interview. I will also write a review in the consulate section for CR.

For financial docs we provided I-134 form, pay stubs for past month, 2017 tax returns, w-2, letter from bank and employer letter (some docs were originals and some were copies like the employer & bank letters). We also brought monthly bank statements but they did not ask for these. It's important that the single status certificate is from the Civil Registry NOT the Alcaldia. Since my fiance is from Nicaragua he provided 2 certificates (one from each country). He also provided 2 police records - the CR one must state for tramites internacionales. His record from Nicaragua only state tramites migraciones and they accepted it. They reviewed all docs and returned the Nica docs back to him.

We were told his K-1 visa will be ready by the end of the week (other visa types would like 7-10 days)! Good luck to the rest of you!

Wow, congratulations! :) I am so happy for you all. It is so great I bet to be nearly done with this long process. Thank you so much for posting this information. I appreciate it and I wish you all the best. Let us know if anything else comes up. Blessings!

On 10/27/2018 at 1:54 PM, Bradyn & Javier said:

We made the appointment for the physical exam a couple of weeks ago. I don't remember the exact date. That's good to know. My fiance has his certificado de salud but the lawyer cannot get the actual vaccination card so we will just have to see what happens. I know the vaccines do not cost more than $100.

On Oct 7th, we scheduled the visa interview for November 19th. There was several dates available for October and November we didn't know how long it would take to send the petition from NVC to the Embassy. The petition is "in transit" for almost 2 weeks now. I think the status will change to "ready" soon. Right now, they have not opened up the interview dates for December.

If anyone has any info or knows the answer to the first question (How long is the single status certificate valid for in Costa Rica?), please let me know!!

Hey, I don't know if you posted this already but I looked and couldn't find anything. Do you mind sharing who you had the physical exam with, like what doctor and how was your experience?

Hi CR filers. I was wondering if anyone here has dealt with or is aware of the Child Support Laws and Regulations of Costa Rica. My husband has a daughter in Costa Rica. He has been paying his dues for child support. I have also been helping be compliant with that. We are planning to have an affidavit signed by both of us in commitment to continuing to provide for his daughter once he is here. So we aren’t the problem really…yesterday the mother stipulated that we needed to pay like 2 gran for her to sign off on his exit of the country….which also is not a problem because money comes and goes and my happiness is being with him.

I just don’t want to get tricked by her and obviously taken advantage of with this situation. Does anyone here have experience with dealing with the family support office and getting permissions for exit of the country?

Timeline
49 minutes ago, Cari & Andy UB said:

Hey, I don't know if you posted this already but I looked and couldn't find anything. Do you mind sharing who you had the physical exam with, like what doctor and how was your experience?

My fiance went to Dr. Franz Chaves Sell at Clinica Americana. His information is provided in the packet.

He said the doctor was professional and familiar with the visa process. He asked about the vaccination records (he didn't have them). My fiance paid extra for the vaccines that day. I guess my fiance was asking a lot of questions so the doctor warned him not to do that during the actual interview.

Timeline
41 minutes ago, Cari & Andy UB said:

Hi CR filers. I was wondering if anyone here has dealt with or is aware of the Child Support Laws and Regulations of Costa Rica. My husband has a daughter in Costa Rica. He has been paying his dues for child support. I have also been helping be compliant with that. We are planning to have an affidavit signed by both of us in commitment to continuing to provide for his daughter once he is here. So we aren’t the problem really…yesterday the mother stipulated that we needed to pay like 2 gran for her to sign off on his exit of the country….which also is not a problem because money comes and goes and my happiness is being with him.

I just don’t want to get tricked by her and obviously taken advantage of with this situation. Does anyone here have experience with dealing with the family support office and getting permissions for exit of the country?

I am not familiar with the family support office, but I did see a girl in the embassy on Monday. Her mother lives in the US and her dad didn't want to sign permission for her to leave the country. The girl was accompanied by her grandmother. The consular office advised they needed the signature from the father before she could leave. I don't know what the final result was, but my suggestion would be to do what you have to get his daughter to the US and get the required paperwork from the mother. I would document everything and include a receipt for any money given.

We are anticipating a similar situation when we try to bring my fiance's children to the US (it's not an option for the mother right now). I suggest emailing the US embassy and asking what documentation is needed. I also have a good bilingual lawyer is Costa Rica that we have been using. I am send you a private message.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Bradyn & Javier said:

Congratulations!! I read your Embassy review too, and it's such good information!

Our interview is scheduled for December 11th, I'll be flying down there to join him for the interview. He got all the civil documents, but doesn't have the translations. Were the translations required? I have all the financial stuff, 1040 and tax transcripts, W-2s, but instead of a bank letter, I have all my statements - hoping that'll suffice? Thank you again for the update! 

3 minutes ago, jay9475 said:

Congratulations!! I read your Embassy review too, and it's such good information!

Our interview is scheduled for December 11th, I'll be flying down there to join him for the interview. He got all the civil documents, but doesn't have the translations. Were the translations required? I have all the financial stuff, 1040 and tax transcripts, W-2s, but instead of a bank letter, I have all my statements - hoping that'll suffice? Thank you again for the update! 

Hey! As far as I know translations are required... FYI... congrats on your day! :)

Timeline
Just now, Cari & Andy UB said:

Hey! As far as I know translations are required... FYI... congrats on your day! :)

Gracias, we'll get them all translated, and thank you! 

4 minutes ago, jay9475 said:

That is for the Spanish documents, they should also be in English... certified translations which only means that the person doing the translation certifies in a separate affidavit that they are fluent in both languages,etc. I had others do them for me, like friends and coworkers for free, but you can also pay services to do that. I attached an affidavit copy if you want it to give to whoever translates them

Affidavit of Translation.doc

Timeline
1 minute ago, Cari & Andy UB said:

That is for the Spanish documents, they should also be in English... certified translations which only means that the person doing the translation certifies in a separate affidavit that they are fluent in both languages,etc. I had others do them for me, like friends and coworkers for free, but you can also pay services to do that. I attached an affidavit copy if you want it to give to whoever translates them

Affidavit of Translation.doc

Thank you!

Timeline
12 minutes ago, jay9475 said:

The best evidence is being there with your fiance in my opinion! It was intimidating to be at embassy but after the process I realized it was more relaxed than I anticipated. I think the packet just says translations are recommended by not required. I had a friend that's bilingual translate them the day before. Anyone who is competent in both languages can do it. Attached are a few of ours: Doc5 Translated.pdfDoc6 Translated.pdfDoc7 Translated.pdf. I also had her sign the translations after we printed.

I think the bank statements will work. I would just make sure it shows when your account was opened, balance, etc. I just went to my credit union and they provided a deposit verification that includes my name, open date, current balance and date letter was produced.

Edited by Bradyn & Javier

Timeline
8 minutes ago, jay9475 said:

Gracias, we'll get them all translated, and thank you! 

Yes, better to be safe than sorry. I dont think it would get denied, but might delay the process if they want to see them. And we only provided translations for the following:

- birth certificate

- police records

- single status certificates

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.