ClickityClackity

What to do while waiting for the EAD?

69 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
54 minutes ago, bloggerstomper said:

it's not if you take into account the cost of travel for my fiancee to get married in here, the cost of translating all the official Spanish documents etc.

thanks for giving no information and being snarky. I'm sure when you went through the process you liked when people treated you like that

It costs my fiance $1000 between gas, time off work and miscellaneous expenses every time he comes to see me (every 3 weeks). That is me (us) and my (our) requirements to be in a relationship. We decided that at the very beginning. I would not be with him if we did not get to see each other regularly. When I go up there, it costs me $500 in plane tickets (if its just me and not my kids, too), plus dog sitter, plus babysitter, plus airport parking. So...between $700-900. I typically fly up 2 or 3 times a year. We have been together for almost 3 years and the LONGEST we have gone without seeing each other is 6 weeks, and that in the first year of our relationship. Some say we are lucky. I say we are committed and in a bonafide relationship.  People choose to get into whatever kind of relationship they get into. That is their choice and perfectly okay. If the distance and time apart and length and cost of the immigration process is a factor, that is something they should have taken into consideration. 

You also dont have to pay to have translations done.  There is no requirement that any special person, group or organization does it. just that they personally certify they are fluent in both languages. 

No one is being snarky. The truth of the matter is this is a long process, and expensive process and too many people jump in not knowing what they are getting into (time wise and financial wise). Everyone on here is either going through the process or has gone through the process. The process is what it is. No one likes it. No one enjoys it. those facts do not change the process. @Roel and myself tend to be very blunt. It's not a personal attack, it's just we dont bother to sugar coat basic information that is easily obtainable and should have been researched before even beginning the process. 

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline
1 minute ago, debbiedoo said:

It costs my fiance $1000 between gas, time off work and miscellaneous expenses every time he comes to see me (every 3 weeks). That is me (us) and my (our) requirements to be in a relationship. We decided that at the very beginning. I would not be with him if we did not get to see each other regularly. When I go up there, it costs me $500 in plane tickets (if its just me and not my kids, too), plus dog sitter, plus babysitter, plus airport parking. So...between $700-900. I typically fly up 2 or 3 times a year. We have been together for almost 3 years and the LONGEST we have gone without seeing each other is 6 weeks, and that in the first year of our relationship. Some say we are lucky. I say we are committed and in a bonafide relationship.  People choose to get into whatever kind of relationship they get into. That is their choice and perfectly okay. If the distance and time apart and length and cost of the immigration process is a factor, that is something they should have taken into consideration. 

You also dont have to pay to have translations done.  There is no requirement that any special person, group or organization does it. just that they personally certify they are fluent in both languages. 

No one is being snarky. The truth of the matter is this is a long process, and expensive process and too many people jump in not knowing what they are getting into (time wise and financial wise). Everyone on here is either going through the process or has gone through the process. The process is what it is. No one likes it. No one enjoys it. those facts do not change the process. @Roel and myself tend to be very blunt. It's not a personal attack, it's just we dont bother to sugar coat basic information that is easily obtainable and should have been researched before even beginning the process. 

OMG I already knew that you couldn't work while waiting for the EOD. I wanted to know people's experiences, if they worked remotely for companies in their home countries, etc. I have researched as much as possible and furthermore, posting questions in this forum is part of the researching process. 

And if you are wondering, we have not filed the k-1 visa yet, we are doing it Monday next week and since I'm an anxious person I want to make sure 100% that everything is perfect, even if I have to double check once, twice or a bazillion times. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, bloggerstomper said:

OMG I already knew that you couldn't work while waiting for the EOD. I wanted to know people's experiences, if they worked remotely for companies in their home countries, etc. I have researched as much as possible and furthermore, posting questions in this forum is part of the researching process. 

And if you are wondering, we have not filed the k-1 visa yet, we are doing it Monday next week and since I'm an anxious person I want to make sure 100% that everything is perfect, even if I have to double check once, twice or a bazillion times. 

double and triple checking everything is good!

there are many posts on how people pass the time while waiting for EAD.

I still say, especially since you havent filed yet, the CR1 would be the best option.  cough up the money and take a trip. get married. spend more time together. The time apart is not much different at this point and they will not have to wait for an EAD and worry about how to kill 6 months at home without losing their mind ;)

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

ROC

Timeline
47 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

double and triple checking everything is good!

there are many posts on how people pass the time while waiting for EAD.

I still say, especially since you havent filed yet, the CR1 would be the best option.  cough up the money and take a trip. get married. spend more time together. The time apart is not much different at this point and they will not have to wait for an EAD and worry about how to kill 6 months at home without losing their mind ;)

Now I'm seriously consider going to the states, getting married in Vegas, go back home and apply for the CR.

Timeline
Just now, bloggerstomper said:

Now I'm seriously consider going to the states, getting married in Vegas, go back home and apply for the CR.

that, honestly, would be how I would do it.

We filed K1 for our own reasons, mainly because of a pension I have from my ex that I lose once I remarry. If not for that, we would have done the CR1.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

ROC

Timeline
3 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

that, honestly, would be how I would do it.

We filed K1 for our own reasons, mainly because of a pension I have from my ex that I lose once I remarry. If not for that, we would have done the CR1.

We just wanted to not have to spend much more time apart, but if we marry in the states I then get to have the marriage certificate in engrish!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you can, whichever route you choose (CR1 or K1) I suggest if you can take some time off when your significant other arrives so that  you can help him/her settle in to their new surroundings----show them how to get to where the grocery store is, the coffee shop, library etc. in your neighborhood.  Teach them how to handle basic public transit---basically little things that a USC takes completely for granted that would be completely foreign to the foreigner during the first days/weeks they are on their own while you're at work. :) 

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Timeline
38 minutes ago, Going through said:

If you can, whichever route you choose (CR1 or K1) I suggest if you can take some time off when your significant other arrives so that  you can help him/her settle in to their new surroundings----show them how to get to where the grocery store is, the coffee shop, library etc. in your neighborhood.  Teach them how to handle basic public transit---basically little things that a USC takes completely for granted that would be completely foreign to the foreigner during the first days/weeks they are on their own while you're at work. :) 

I'm actually the beneficiary!! hahaha but that's still useful!

3 hours ago, bloggerstomper said:

yikes. that's almost as long as it takes to get the green card eh?

It's taking much longer than that actually. Recently AoS has been taking longer than a year for many people. I wouldn't expect your green card in 6 months.

DCF Mexico

06/04/2017: Married

06/24/2017: Mailed I-130

06/27/2017: NOA1 (technically a RFE as we were missing beneficiary ID)

07/06/2017: NOA2

07/12/2017: Case assigned by Juarez embassy

07/17/2017: Packet 3 received

08/15/2017: Interview/Approval!

08/22/2017: Visa received via DHL

09/03/2017: POE

09/16/2017: Permanent Resident Card received

Total days from NOA1 to approval: 49

I wrote a DCF Mexico guide! http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php?title=DCF_Mexico

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Jorge V said:

It's taking much longer than that actually. Recently AoS has been taking longer than a year for many people. I wouldn't expect your green card in 6 months.

yikes. Well, it's a matter of waiting and deciding. If I can keep my Spanish job and work remotely it would be a godsend

6 minutes ago, bloggerstomper said:

yikes. Well, it's a matter of waiting and deciding. If I can keep my Spanish job and work remotely it would be a godsend

Yes unfortunately it's a lot of waiting.

Be careful working remotely before getting your EAD.  The US considers where the work is done, not where the employer is based. In theory working remotely in the US for a Spanish company is considered US based work and is not allowed while awaiting your EAD. In practice this is a gray area at best. I personally wouldn't risk it as it could jeopardize your petition. 

DCF Mexico

06/04/2017: Married

06/24/2017: Mailed I-130

06/27/2017: NOA1 (technically a RFE as we were missing beneficiary ID)

07/06/2017: NOA2

07/12/2017: Case assigned by Juarez embassy

07/17/2017: Packet 3 received

08/15/2017: Interview/Approval!

08/22/2017: Visa received via DHL

09/03/2017: POE

09/16/2017: Permanent Resident Card received

Total days from NOA1 to approval: 49

I wrote a DCF Mexico guide! http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php?title=DCF_Mexico

Timeline
2 hours ago, Jorge V said:

Yes unfortunately it's a lot of waiting.

Be careful working remotely before getting your EAD.  The US considers where the work is done, not where the employer is based. In theory working remotely in the US for a Spanish company is considered US based work and is not allowed while awaiting your EAD. In practice this is a gray area at best. I personally wouldn't risk it as it could jeopardize your petition. 

well ain't that a (removed). 

Edited by Ontarkie
bypassing language filter

3 hours ago, bloggerstomper said:

Remote work isn't permitted either. The K1 visa really really is not most people's best choice (and I say this as someone who did it, and would do it for us in our circumstances again). You may save 3 or so months of separation but you pay for that over and over again in fees, and time being unemployed and arguably more importantly, time to naturalization (which I know seems like a distant concern now but trust me on this one). 

For us, my husband is from Costa Rica, had only left his country once (to neighboring Panama), never been on an airplane, was only so/so on English, had never been to a city the size of the one he was moving to (because cities that size don't exist in his country), never seen a subway system, nothing. Even if he landed with a green card and was able to work the very next day, we would have done exactly what we did-- have him spend 6 months volunteering at the local animal shelter, taking community English classes and working on a beat-up motorcycle we bought for him. Just to get used to life here, getting around, making friends, learning English etc. In that situation, it made sense to just start the clock ticking on this "adjustment time" rather than waiting more time for something we didn't need or prioritize right away. Another family situation where the K1 makes sense is people who are planning on the spouse being a stay at home spouse/parent. That's a lot of people for sure, but obviously not all. 

Someone who doesn't need or want any kind of "down time", or who is planning on working outside of the home is MUCH better served by the CR1, in both the medium and long term even if they need to wait a little longer for it in the short term. If the short term is more important than medium and long term considerations, great, that's a reasonable choice just as long as you know what you're sacrificing.  

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

23 Dec 2015: Legal marriage

23 Jan 2016: Wedding!

23 Jan 2016: "Blizzard of the Century", wedding canceled/rescheduled (thank goodness we were legally married first or we'd have had a big problem!) :sleepy:

24 Jan 2016: Small "civil ceremony" with friends and family who were snowed in with us. December was a bit of a secret and people had traveled internationally and knew we *had* to get married that weekend, and our December legal marriage was nothing but signing a piece of paper at our priest's kitchen table, without any sort of vows etc so this was actually a very special (if not legally significant) day. (L)

16 Apr 2016: Filed for AOS and EAD/AP (We delayed a bit-- no big rush, enjoying the USCIS break)

23 Apr 2016: Wedding! Finally! :luv:

27 Apr 2016: Electronic NOA1 for all 3 :dancing:
29 Apr 2016: NOA1 Hardcopy for all 3
29 Jul 2016: Online service request for late EAD (Day 104)
29 Jul 2016: EAD/AP Approved ~3 hours after online service request
04 Aug 2016: RFE for Green Card (requested medicals/ vaccination record. They already have it). :ranting:
05 Aug 2016: EAD/AP Combo Card arrived! (Day 111)
08 Aug 2016: Congressional constituent request to get guidance on the RFE. Hoping they see they have the form and approve!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

PLEASE NOTE. This timeline was during the period of time when TSC was working on I-129fs and had a huge backlog. The average processing time was 210+ days. This is in no way predictive of your own timeline if you filed during or after April 2015, unless CSC develops a backlog. A backlog is anything above the 5-month goal time listed on USCIS's site

14 Feb 2015: Mailed I-129f to Dallas Lockbox. (L) (Most expensive Valentine's card I've ever sent!)

17 Feb 2015: NOA1 "Received Date"
19 Feb 2015: NOA1 Notice Date
08 Aug 2015: NOA2 email! :luv: (173 days from NOA1)

17 Aug 2015: Sent to NVC

?? Aug 2015: Arrived at NVC

25 Aug 2015: NVC Case # Assigned

31 Aug 2015: Left NVC for Consulate in San Jose

09 Sep 2015: Consulate received :dancing: (32 days from NOA2)

11 Sep 2015: Packet 3 emailed from embassy to me, the petitioner (34 days from NOA2).

18 Sep 2015: Medicals complete

21 Sep 2015: Packet 3 complete, my boss puts a temporary moratorium on all time off due to work emergency :clock:

02 Oct 2015: Work emergency clears up, interview scheduled (soonest available was 5 business days away--Columbus Day was in there)

13 Oct 2015: Interview

13 Oct 2015: VISA APPROVED :thumbs: (236 days from NOA1)

19 Oct 2015: Visa-in-hand

24 Oct 2015: POE !

15 Dec 2015: Fiance's mother's B-2 visa interview: APPROVED! So happy she will be at the wedding! :thumbs:

!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Here's what my husband does while waiting for his EAD (4 months pending): 

1) Play lots of video games

2) Watch lots of Netflix, Youtube, etc.

3) Cook your wife delicious Indian food

4) Play with the dogs/take them on walks

5) Read lots of books

6) Sleep....a lot

:D

In all seriousness, maybe you can volunteer as long as it's not considered work. If money isn't an issue then you can also look into taking some courses at a local college. It's gonna be boring and frustrating, so just try to enjoy it while it lasts - cus' it's not often that someone gets to have a 4-6 month forced break from working! :) 

The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, answered "Man.... Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."

- The Dalai Lama

Timeline
1 minute ago, KozmicBlues said:

Here's what my husband does while waiting for his EAD (4 months pending): 

1) Play lots of video games

2) Watch lots of Netflix, Youtube, etc.

3) Cook your wife delicious Indian food

4) Play with the dogs/take them on walks

5) Read lots of books

6) Sleep....a lot

:D

In all seriousness, maybe you can volunteer as long as it's not considered work. If money isn't an issue then you can also look into taking some courses at a local college. It's gonna be boring and frustrating, so just try to enjoy it while it lasts - cus' it's not often that someone gets to have a 4-6 month forced break from working! :) 

thank you for your answer! I'm actually going to apply for an EMT course in the local college, since it's two months and it will fill most of my time!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.