Mina90

Why enter illegally?

47 posts in this topic

As illegal immigration is such a hot topic, I ask all members who respond to please be respectful.

This is something I always wondered but never really figured all the reasoning behind it. There are members on this forum who have spouses/family members or themselves who have entered the US illegally and I never really understood why. I would like some insight on how people reason with entering a country illegally and continuing to live a life in the shadows.  

Don't get me wrong. I am genuinely curious as to why people choose this route in the first place. The US has many legal options and paths to enter the US with appropriate visas, then why do some choose to enter otherwise?  I want to know thoughts on what people think on why people choose to do this. I come from a family of immigrants (all who legally entered the US with proper visas) and my family is from a highly corrupt, highly political, and poverty-stricken country, so I understand that some people want to any means to escape (but my family/friends never chose this route no matter how bad it was).  However, I don't think that is the only reason people could choose to do this. Is it because some just don't know how to file proper visas? Is it because some think it's expensive? Too long of a wait? Disregard for laws/rules? 

**Disclaimer: This thread is not in any shape or form to condone illegal immigration nor will I tolerate anyone giving advice on how to do so ( I will report those giving advice as such). This thread is just to gather some insight on what people think and how they feel about this.**

4 hours ago, Mina90 said:

As illegal immigration is such a hot topic, I ask all members who respond to please be respectful.

This is something I always wondered but never really figured all the reasoning behind it. There are members on this forum who have spouses/family members or themselves who have entered the US illegally and I never really understood why. I would like some insight on how people reason with entering a country illegally and continuing to live a life in the shadows.  

Don't get me wrong. I am genuinely curious as to why people choose this route in the first place. The US has many legal options and paths to enter the US with appropriate visas, then why do some choose to enter otherwise?  I want to know thoughts on what people think on why people choose to do this. I come from a family of immigrants (all who legally entered the US with proper visas) and my family is from a highly corrupt, highly political, and poverty-stricken country, so I understand that some people want to any means to escape (but my family/friends never chose this route no matter how bad it was).  However, I don't think that is the only reason people could choose to do this. Is it because some just don't know how to file proper visas? Is it because some think it's expensive? Too long of a wait? Disregard for laws/rules? 

**Disclaimer: This thread is not in any shape or form to condone illegal immigration nor will I tolerate anyone giving advice on how to do so ( I will report those giving advice as such). This thread is just to gather some insight on what people think and how they feel about this.**

I want to touch a little bit on the above part in bold. Yes the US has many legal options. But they only apply to those who qualify. Take a poor, uneducated family that has no relatives that live in the US. They want to flee a country because it is stricken with poverty, crime, or war. What legal options does the US offer them? 

The biggest reason people come illegally is for economic reasons. Even if it is working under the table, a person can make 5, 6, I have even heard 10 times more than they could in their home country.

Another reason is because America's immigrant history is legendary and many foreigners believe the stories of how poor immigrants came to American with little legal barriers and became successful citizens still applies today. Obviously I'm not saying that a poor immigrant can't become successful today but the truth is America is experiencing a change in identity. It is no longer an industrial country with booming steel mills and coal mines. Even our agricultural industry is suffering. America is becoming (or already has become depending on who you ask) a management country. Most manufacturing is done in countries where labor wages are much lower. Which is ironic because that is one of the reason immigrants want to leave those countries. Think of this...America brought the world ground breaking technologies like the television, personal computers, and the cellphones. Now think of where all of these technologies are being manufactured.

To go back to your story of how you immigrated, it is fortunate that you were able to do so. But if you were really think about it, there are many from your country that don't have the same options to immigrate. So the most desperate choose an illegal path. There are many who think that those who have relatives here have an unfair advantage to immigrate to the US. Of course, I'm not talking about an immediate relative like a wife or child. They are obviously considered first priority. But an adult man who has never had a job or education but has a brother in the US can have a better chance at immigrating here than a farmer who has fed a village or a teacher who has help raised their local children. 

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

There is this story from my local neighborhood.

Not saying it was right or wrong but perspective that some people are living in fear of their life in their home country and maybe don't know what to do next.  I have never lived through such an experience, so I can not judge the situation.  I think we can all go days arguing moral concepts versus legal right and wrongs.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-ci-immigrants-released-20170713-story.html

Edited by AshMarty

01/31/17.... K1 Visa Approved

02/03/17.... K1 Visa Received in Hand

06/05/17....Arrived in the USA (LAX)

06/24/17....Married on Cape Cod <3

07/10/17....Sent AOS package (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/17/17.... AOS notice date for NOA1 (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/21/17.... Received mailed hardcopies of NOA1s

07/29/17.... Biometrics Notice received in mail 

08/01/17.... Biometrics Appointment AOS - complete (walked in)

08/07/17.... Biometrics Appointment EAD - complete (walked in)

10/23/17.... EAD/AP card delivered to house YAY!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
7 hours ago, NuestraUnion said:

The biggest reason people come illegally is for economic reasons.

I wonder whether this is still true (don't know, but presume changes as stated below).

Part of the current flap about how to handle the influx of asylum-seekers at the border is that current laws and protocols involving the processing of illegal entrants were chiefly designed with "lone adult males seeking employment" in mind; the second group of concern was the criminals.

These illegals sought to avoid detection.  Conversely, most of the recent border-crossers seem to be families (or fake families with someone else's children) who want to be caught after crossing, so that they can apply for asylum or at least be held in safe circumstances and receive shelter, clean clothes, and three square meals per day.

7 hours ago, NuestraUnion said:

Even if it is working under the table, a person can make 5, 6, I have even heard 10 times more than they could in their home country.

This is true.  A few years ago, I saw word from a reliable source (specifics since forgotten) that most illegal economic entrants had jobs in their countries but sought more income.

Even among legal immigrants, foreign remittances are a chief focus.  I know that it's prevalent among Mexicans and Central Americans, and we periodically read here on VJ about Filipinas (with the consent or acquiescence of their U.S. husbands) sending money to the immigrants' families on a special or routine basis.  This might be the case for "any poor country."  I read somewhere (again, specifics forgotten, but probably findable) that remittances are the second-greatest form of income for Mexico, or at least in the top 3 of same.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

31 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

I wonder whether this is still true (don't know, but presume changes as stated below).

Part of the current flap about how to handle the influx of asylum-seekers at the border is that current laws and protocols involving the processing of illegal entrants were chiefly designed with "lone adult males seeking employment" in mind; the second group of concern was the criminals.

These illegals sought to avoid detection.  Conversely, most of the recent border-crossers seem to be families (or fake families with someone else's children) who want to be caught after crossing, so that they can apply for asylum or at least be held in safe circumstances and receive shelter, clean clothes, and three square meals per day.

This is true.  A few years ago, I saw word from a reliable source (specifics since forgotten) that most illegal economic entrants had jobs in their countries but sought more income.

Even among legal immigrants, foreign remittances are a chief focus.  I know that it's prevalent among Mexicans and Central Americans, and we periodically read here on VJ about Filipinas (with the consent or acquiescence of their U.S. husbands) sending money to the immigrants' families on a special or routine basis.  This might be the case for "any poor country."  I read somewhere (again, specifics forgotten, but probably findable) that remittances are the second-greatest form of income for Mexico, or at least in the top 3 of same.

All very interesting info. 

Also, why do you think US is the primary choice of country for most? Distance? Accessibility? 

Other countries (Australia, most of Europe, Dubai/UAE, Canada, etc. are good places to live, at least IMO) Most folks choose the US. Is it because of the stories about the US being a land of opportunity (i.e. Nuestra pointed out the technologies the US has created and believe the US is the best place to earn money and send to their homeland/families).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Mina90 said:

All very interesting info. 

Also, why do you think US is the primary choice of country for most? Distance? Accessibility? 

Other countries (Australia, most of Europe, Dubai/UAE, Canada, etc. are good places to live, at least IMO) Most folks choose the US. Is it because of the stories about the US being a land of opportunity (i.e. Nuestra pointed out the technologies the US has created and believe the US is the best place to earn money and send to their homeland/families).

I think people try all different countries and a lot of countries have issues. Its on the news all the time in my Husbands country (Australia). 

The US happens to be a pretty easy place for a lot of people to enter because of our proximity with other countries. My husband is Australian and they are so isolated that no one is going to walk over the boarder to Australia (so it is easier in that way to contain). 

Edited by AshMarty

01/31/17.... K1 Visa Approved

02/03/17.... K1 Visa Received in Hand

06/05/17....Arrived in the USA (LAX)

06/24/17....Married on Cape Cod <3

07/10/17....Sent AOS package (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/17/17.... AOS notice date for NOA1 (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/21/17.... Received mailed hardcopies of NOA1s

07/29/17.... Biometrics Notice received in mail 

08/01/17.... Biometrics Appointment AOS - complete (walked in)

08/07/17.... Biometrics Appointment EAD - complete (walked in)

10/23/17.... EAD/AP card delivered to house YAY!

1 minute ago, AshMarty said:

I think people try all different countries have issues.

The US happens to be a pretty easy place for a lot of people to enter because of our proximity with other countries. My husband is Australian and they are so isolated than no one is going to walk the over the boarder to Australia (so it is easier in that way to contain). 

Absolutely. Although, I read an article that said that the the quantity of most illegal people in the states are usually people who have once entered on a non-immigrant visa (i.e. B1/B2) and never left more so than those who hop the border (don't know where I had seen this since it was a while back so can't find the link, could just be hearsay).

Filed: Timeline

The US politician likes to make laws they don't really get enforced. We keep talking about overhauling our immigration policies because it's "broken", yet repeat the same thing once a new law passes.

If you take away incentives like being able to work illegally, serious crack down on employers who hire illegals, fully implement E-verify or some other for of universal check for employers, and things like that you'll probably put a better dent on illegal migration.

I honestly don't blame the illegals as I have no clue what I would do if I was in their shoes, but if word spreads that doing so provides not economic incentive that may help deter one from coming illegally. In regards to safety/security, that's something that needs to be addressed by the UN in my opinion.

Filed: Timeline
1 hour ago, TBoneTX said:

"Remittances are one of Mexico's top sources of foreign income, outpacing oil exports, which totaled $18.5 billion between January and October, according to the most recent figures available at the Bank of Mexico. Manufacturing exports are the top source of foreign income for Mexico."

https://money.cnn.com/2018/01/02/news/economy/mexico-remittances/index.html

39 minutes ago, Umka36 said:

The US politician likes to make laws they don't really get enforced. We keep talking about overhauling our immigration policies because it's "broken", yet repeat the same thing once a new law passes.

If you take away incentives like being able to work illegally, serious crack down on employers who hire illegals, fully implement E-verify or some other for of universal check for employers, and things like that you'll probably put a better dent on illegal migration.

I honestly don't blame the illegals as I have no clue what I would do if I was in their shoes, but if word spreads that doing so provides not economic incentive that may help deter one from coming illegally. In regards to safety/security, that's something that needs to be addressed by the UN in my opinion.

I agree, that is a very valid point. You're right, the employers that aid in this are as much to blame. 

While I absolutely feel sympathy towards those in terrible living situations in their home countries, I don't agree with helping aid those who choose to engage in any illegal activity. I know some people think that by giving shelter, aid, and ability to live in any country illegally is somehow doing something good or it benefits them somehow, it actually causes more harm, IMO, because it isn't helping change the situation in those countries. If everyone just flees their home countries to elsewhere, who's going to be around to help change it to be better? Of course, this is applicable only to the political and economic immigrants and not the criminal immigrants (I like the terminology TBoneTX used). 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

My husband and I planted a Spanish-speaking church in our community. About a third of those who attend are from Puerto Rico, and are citizens who don't need visas etc, and the rest are illegally here. Every single one of them is here for economic reasons. Won't go to El Salvador or Honduras because of heavy gang presence/violence. Lot of scary and unimaginable situations in those countries that one of our Salvadoran ladies has gone through like the time she came home when she was 10 years old and found her dead cousin impaled with a long pole going through mouth and coming out her butt with MS13 carved into her face. Can you imagine living in fear of that kind of stuff everyday? I can't! Costa Rica is freeeeeeeking expensive. Not sure about Guatemala or Belize.

Even the Puerto Ricans that have moved here have told us they can make way more money here than back on the island, especially after the turmoil the hurricanes created.

Most of the illegals in our church have been here minimum of a decade and while most send much of their money back home to help support family, the others are pretty much trying to make as much as they can before they're caught. The US is still very much a place of opportunity.  Heck there are white people here who sit and beg on the side of the road for the 5.5 months of the year that it's not freezing and probably make more money than me. This is a very rich country. I went on a vacation this year...to Medora...but still! Last year I bought a plane ticket. How many of us have bus money, lunch money, a reliable vehicle, or even more than 1 vehicle!...and all those kinds of things that make us look like dollar signs with legs. And it's true to an extent; I mean my little family isn't rich by US standards but to those in the third world I am very rich indeed.

And not just economically rich. TBone mentioned people fleeing for political reasons too. Geeze I can speak up if I don't like something the gov't does and I won't get shot or thrown in prison. Not sure if you've heard about Nicaragua (probably not because the news would rather talk about the president's latest tweet) but right now the para-military and police have authorization from the Nica gov't to shoot anyone they "feel" is a terrorist which is any one of the protesters. The protesters who wave their country's flag in marches and have little more than slingshots and rocks to "defend" themselves from these goons with guns. More than 450 people have been shot/killed, imprisoned, or abducted and disappeared because they have, in one way or another, spoken out against the government. I don't have to worry about that here.

Most people when they think of illegal immigrants think of Latinos but forget about all the non-latino tourist and student overstayers like Mina90 mentioned earlier. The thing is I won't ever be able to comprehend the situations that force these people to leave. I don't blame them. I don't feel bad when they get caught because yes, they broke the law.

So there is my 2 cents based on the people that come to our church and the stuff that they talk about along with my experience/perception. Take it or leave it. I just wanted to add my thoughts since this thread seems like its safe to share my opinion without getting flamed lol.

A Tale of Two Dakotaraguans

K1 Journey - 78 Days

Sent I-129F - 11/16/15 [Day 1]
NOA1 - 11/18 (Hard copy: 11/24) [Day 2, Day 8]
NOA2 - 12/18 (Hard copy: 12/26) [Day 32, Day 40]
NVC received file: 1/05/2016 [Day 50] Obtained NVC invoice number, paid visa fee, filled out DS-160: 1/06 [Day 51]
Fiancé's medical: 1/12 9:00am [Day 57]
Interview: 1/22 9:30am, Approved! [67 days] (F)
Visa status on ceac site= "AP": 1/25, "Issued":01/27, "In Transit: 2/02", Visa packet in hand: 2/03 [Day 78]
POE: (Houston) 2/04, North Dakota arrival: 2/05

Married (civil): 2/05/16 (L)

AOS - 55 Days

I-485, AP, EAD sent : 3/03/2016 [Day 1]

Delivered: 3/04 [Day 2]

Electronic NOA1: 3/08 [Day 5]  NOA1 Hardcopy rcv'd in mail: 3/12 [Day 9]; Biometric Notification rcv'd in mail: 3/26 [Day 23]; Biometrics Appt: 4/06 in Fargo, ND [Day 33]

Notification(s): "Your new card is being produced" 4/23 [Day 48] ; "Your case was approved" 4/26 [Day 51]; "Your card was mailed on 4/27" 4/28 [Day 53]

Green Card in Hand: 4/30 [Day 55]

D-day ("Dress day"/I do...again Day/wedding reception): 9/10/16

ROC - 390 days 

Spoiler

Window opens: 1/24/2018

Package sent: 1/26, Delivered on 1/29 at 11:17am to CSC - [Day 1]

Check cashed: 1/31 [Day 3]

NOA1: 1/29 [Day 1]; NOA rcv'd in mail: 2/02 [Day 4]

Biometrics  Sent 5/5, rcv'd in mail 5/12 [Day 107]

Biometrics appt: Not required

18 Month extension letter received, dated 8/18: 8/24/18 [Day 211]

"New Card Being Produced" - 2/11/19 [Day 382], email "we mailed your card on 2/14" - 2/15

Card arrived: 2/19/19 [Day 390]

Citizenship - 643 Days

Spoiler

Window opens: 01/24/2019

E-file: 01/28/2019 [Day 1]

Biometrics = scheduled: 02/01 [Day 4], view uploaded document: 02/05 [Day 8], appointment day: 02/19 [Day 22] In Fargo, ND

Interview scheduled notification online: 9/3/20 [Day 585]

Interview in Minneapolis, MN: 10/20/20 [Day 632] at 12:15 PM: passed/approved

Oath Ceremony: scheduled 10/20, view letter online 10/21

Oath : Fargo, ND 2:15pm at sanctuary events center. No guests allowed

1808 total days of thinking about/waiting for immigrations!

Applied for US Passport 11/4/2020, application approved 1/26/21, passport and naturalization cert received in mailbox: 1/28/21 📘

Filed: Other Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi. I'm new. 

I am a DACA recipient. I was brought here when I was 2 years old (from Mexico). I did not make a conscious decision to be here, I just am. It's been a hell of a ride, but hopefully that will come to an end soon.  My girl and I got married a week ago, so the journey begins! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
4 hours ago, Beneficiary said:

I was brought here when I was 2 years old (from Mexico).

Were your parents, or the adult(s) who brought you, "economic" crossers?

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).