torontoim

Can I enter the US to activate my CR1 and return to work in Canada while I apply for jobs in the US?

36 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I found out that my CR1 visa is approved which is fantastic news! I am a Canadian citizen married to a US citizen spouse. 

I understand once you approach the US customs, your visa gets stamped if you pass the Port of Entry screen and you effectively become a US permanent resident after that point. Per the slip I received at my spousal visa interview in Montreal, at that moment my visa is stamped, my green card and Social Security Number will be processed and sent to my intended US address within 30 days. 

I am trying to be pragmatic about the moving process but want to make sure I don't jeopardize my green card in the process. I've already given notice to my employer in Canada of my plans to immigrate to the United States. I would like to avoid a dead unemployment period if possible. My thought is to go to the Port of Entry, get my green card and social security number activated, and then return to Canada to work while I send out job applications to US employers in my field. The idea being that I could then make a firm move with a job in-hand as soon as possible. I'd preferably like to travel to see my wife often on weekends if possible while keeping my Canadian employment until I get a job in the US. 

I am unsure whether me going back to Canada and doing this would be seen by US customs as me not intending to immigrate to the United States (which couldn't be further from the truth). After waiting over a year for this process to be completed, I want to do it by the book. I just want to know if my plan is a practical one that would be acceptable to the US Customs officials if I explain it to them. If they see me crossing the border frequently while I try to procure employment in the US but keep my employment in Canada to continue to provide for my wife and save for our lives, would that cause problems for me? If it does, I'll make the clean break and just move without a job, but I would love to be able to keep employment consistent throughout my transition if possible for practical life reasons. 

If anyone has been in my position and has any valuable experience or advice to share, I'm all ears! Thanks!

Edited by torontoim

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

It's fine to do this as long as you don't stay out of the US for longer than 6 months at a time (and more than 6 months for any 12-month period) once you've activated your immigrant visa.

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

My husband did something similar when he got his GC.  He came over and activated his visa in July 2015, and helped me move into our new house.  Then he went back to the UK to work until November to satisfy his contract with his employer, and then moved over permanently in Nov 2015.

Mar 2014 - Married

5/7/14?? - Attorney mailed paperwork

5/15/14 DHS cashed check

5/19/14 - NOA1 received with PD 5/12/14

10/17/14 - NOA2 received

10/28/14 - Email received that file has been sent to NVC

11/13/14 - NVC received file

12/10/14 - NVC Assigned case number

12/12/14 - AOS Fee Invoiced

12/13/14 - Submit email to NVC to remove attorney as DS-261 Agent

12/16/14 - AOS Fee showing as Paid

12/17/14 - IV Fee invoiced

12/20/14 - IV fee available and paid

12/27/14 - DS-260 submitted

1/2/15 - AOS and IV packages sent to NVC

1/5/15 - USPS delivered packages to NVC

1/7/15 - NVC scanned in packages. Let the countdown begin...

1/30/15 - FINALLY got a reply to my email to remove the attorney from the DS-261

3/9/15 - Called NVC and they have checklisted us for an "incorrect" decree absolute from the UK, even though it is the legal official document. Have requested a supervisor review.

4/28/15 - Called and NVC said supervisor had reviewed and now claimed that the decree absolute was not included. After disagreeing with the less than helpful lady on the phone, and her not being able to get the review time right. (She kept changing her story between 42 days and 30 days).

4/30/15 - Sent the same copy of the decree absolute to the NVC from the UK, highlighting the "decree absolute" wording with a letter stating that this is the only document provided by the UK government.

5/6/15 - Scan date for checklist received.

6/5/15 - Case complete!!!

6/12/15 - Called and interview is scheduled for July 1!

6/14/15 - Received email with interview date and instructions.

6/19/15 - Case showing as ready on CEAC.

7/1/15 - Approved at interview!!!

7/6/15 - CEAC changed to Administrative Processing

7/7/15 - CEAC changed to Issued!!!!!

7/10/15 - Passport and packet delivered!

7/29/15 - Husband entered with visa at Dallas/Fort Worth airport

9/29/15 - GC delivered!!!

5/4/17 - ROC packet sent via USPS

5/9/17 - Tracking shows delivered

5/17/17 - Check cashed

5/19/17 - NOA1 received with date of 5/8/17

5/27/17 - Biometrics appt received 6/8/17

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

No problem, particularly since you'll be in the US frequently anyway.  Do keep track of each trip and number of days outside the US though, as you will be required to provide that information as part of any application for citizenship.  You may not plan to ever become a US Citizen, but plans often change over time.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

I did the same thing.. in order to complete my contract.. though it was for one 10 week period only , not a series of ours and ins.. I would imagine if you were still working in Canada 12 months after the initial POE you might get some  questions about whether you are living as an LPR in the US or just visiting on your GC. 

Timeline

For people from border towns, it's not uncommon for the Canadian to keep their job long term and come home every night.  The individual circumstances rule the day on this issue.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Timeline

Green card holders are taxed on worldwide income.  Remember to report your Canadian income on your US tax return as required.  Make sure that work and Canada understands that you will not be a Canadian resident after you activate your green card.  

Canadian spouses on VJ have been eligible to receive EI - you might want to check with Service Canada how much you would get and for how long.  Depending on your job, it might be similar to salary-(expenses of maintaining two households+international health insurance+travel costs).  There's thread in the Canada subforum with details on how to apply.  Plus, being local usually helps when looking for work.

Edited by Lemonslice

Timeline
9 hours ago, Dee elle said:

I did the same thing.. in order to complete my contract.. though it was for one 10 week period only , not a series of ours and ins.. I would imagine if you were still working in Canada 12 months after the initial POE you might get some  questions about whether you are living as an LPR in the US or just visiting on your GC. 

Yeah there’s no way I’d be here longer than a couple of months at maximum. I could see how staying for that long would bring up questions and I don’t intend to be in that position at all.

9 hours ago, Jojo92122 said:

Green card holders are taxed on worldwide income.  Remember to report your Canadian income on your US tax return as required.  Make sure that work and Canada understands that you will not be a Canadian resident after you activate your green card.  

Right, I’ve read this. This would only be effective from the date I activate the green card correct? For any Canadians reading, does informing my employer that I will not be a Canadian resident once I activate the visa effectively mean I’m informing the government as well? That would seem to have implications for my Canadian benefits such as the universal healthcare access I’m currently entitled to. Do you immediately void those benefits upon activating the visa?

8 hours ago, Lemonslice said:

Canadian spouses on VJ have been eligible to receive EI - you might want to check with Service Canada how much you would get and for how long.  Depending on your job, it might be similar to salary-(expenses of maintaining two households+international health insurance+travel costs).  There's thread in the Canada subforum with details on how to apply.  Plus, being local usually helps when looking for work.

That’s intriguing. I’ll definitely take a look at that. Thanks!

I agree with lemonslice about looking into EI.  My EI payments were only slightly less than my first few paychecks down here.  😑

Also understand that you will not be eligible for any healthcare in Canada and will need to purchase private insurance.

As Jojo mentioned, you will need to be taxed as a non-resident.  

Keep in mind that the endorsed Visa is a green card so there'sno need to wait for the hard copy, and while entry should cause the SSN to be produced, that often it is not and we have to go to an SSA office to get it processed ourselves. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

When you become a resident of the USA you are no longer a resident of Canada. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

As you a are marrying a USC you will have the first tax year option of being considered a US tax resident for either the whole year or just from the POE date.. full year means declaring and claiming exemption for Canadian income for the whole year but allows the the usually beneficial filing as MFJointly.. you will need to run the numbers both ways.. 

Timeline
29 minutes ago, NikLR said:

When you become a resident of the USA you are no longer a resident of Canada. 

In the eyes of the US.  Canada has different standards for residency requirements associated with Canadian Citizens.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline
14 hours ago, pushbrk said:

No problem, particularly since you'll be in the US frequently anyway.  Do keep track of each trip and number of days outside the US though, as you will be required to provide that information as part of any application for citizenship.  You may not plan to ever become a US Citizen, but plans often change over time.

How is it possible to keep track of how many times you leave the US to Canada. I live and work 10 minutes away from the US in Canada and often times I go to the US and back to Canada once a week. sometimes four times a week. This would be impossible to keep track of. 

4 hours ago, torontoim said:

Right, I’ve read this. This would only be effective from the date I activate the green card correct? For any Canadians reading, does informing my employer that I will not be a Canadian resident once I activate the visa effectively mean I’m informing the government as well? That would seem to have implications for my Canadian benefits such as the universal healthcare access I’m currently entitled to. Do you immediately void those benefits upon activating the visa?

As far as I understand it, you need to contact CRA and let them know when you become a non-resident but I imagine you can wait to do that until you have permanently moved down. Might be a good idea to talk to an accountant. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.