Ijndchyke

K1 VISA PROCEDURES FOR NIGERIA ONLY

413 posts in this topic

• 2 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I am hoping someone can advise me.  The NVC gave us the case number and invoice number today.  What should our next steps be?  Should we pay the fee at GTB bank and then complete the DS-160?  Can my fiance go to Lagos and complete his medical and police exams even though we haven't scheduled our interview yet because the embassy does not have our file and probably won't have it for another month?  Thank you in advance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
17 minutes ago, reneenumbertwo said:

I am hoping someone can advise me.  The NVC gave us the case number and invoice number today.  What should our next steps be?  Should we pay the fee at GTB bank and then complete the DS-160?  Can my fiance go to Lagos and complete his medical and police exams even though we haven't scheduled our interview yet because the embassy does not have our file and probably won't have it for another month?  Thank you in advance.

Yes you can pay the visa fee and fill out a DS 160 while waiting for your case to arrive at the embassy. You fiance can also do the police report but note that if he doesn’t attend interview within 90 days of getting the police certificate, he will have to get another one. Medical can only be done if he has an interview date as they’ll request for the visa appointment confirmation before he can be seen. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 1/16/2019 at 4:42 PM, ashmed246 said:

Yes you can pay the visa fee and fill out a DS 160 while waiting for your case to arrive at the embassy. You fiance can also do the police report but note that if he doesn’t attend interview within 90 days of getting the police certificate, he will have to get another one. Medical can only be done if he has an interview date as they’ll request for the visa appointment confirmation before he can be seen. 

Please what is visa appointment confirmation? Is it the invitation sent to you from the embassy or the confirmation you get after scheduling for interview online?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
7 hours ago, Nwoke said:

Please what is visa appointment confirmation? Is it the invitation sent to you from the embassy or the confirmation you get after scheduling for interview online?

It’s the confirmation you get after scheduling an interview online. 

Timeline
4 hours ago, ashmed246 said:

It’s the confirmation you get after scheduling an interview online. 

In other words, I can do everything including the medicals before the case gets to the embassy. I'm happy for the info because before now some people had been giving me a counter advise that I can only do the medicals when the embassy sends me an invitation.

I'll go ahead and do everything before my case gets to the embassy.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 2:22 PM, Nwoke said:

Scheduling the interview can take 1 to 3 months as the schedule is booked that far out. Once you pay the $265USD visa fee at GTB Bank, you can go online to schedule an appointment at www.ustraveldocs.com You can get the forms online at http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visa_forms.html No need to go to the consulate to pick up forms. Download forms if unexpired or get current versions of same forms. Email LagosIV@state.gov for your interview date. 

K-1 P3 Letter Nigeria

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18ecVe-vDjvk0thSFqHE9dtSyUy0Qccey/view?usp=sharing

Medical instructions Nigeria

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jQbUHA-eDR6AHDGp4OHLBSPcMm31Zl9d/view?usp=sharing

Step by Step guide

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yPmN_82vlBB_hoBtPuqWjP6gjYgf3VWF/view?usp=sharing

Embassy Portal here on VJ

https://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=Nigeria&cty=Lagos

VJ thread

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/679202-k1-visa-procedures-for-nigeria-only/

Divorce Decree Verification

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LmKCenaXNT9BQJtMJrSSXlEJo289tlo3/view?usp=sharing

Wet signatures are no longer required for I-134 for your Nigeria interview. You are able to send in scanned documents.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 7/22/2018 at 3:46 PM, Ijndchyke said:

Here’s the steps I took : 

So after I received my NOA2 in the mail, I called NVC consistently to find out if they’ve received my case from USCIS. It took exactly 2 weeks of calling to receive the number from NVC. The day I received the number I called them in the morning and they stated they didn’t have it, then I called in the evening around 6pm and they had a case number for me. When you call them make sure you get both the case  id number and the invoice id number. 

Next, 

After receiving my case and invoice ID numbers, I started making preparations with my fiancé to go do his medical exam and his police report. 

Note : make sure to update your email address with NVC because they’ll contact you over email. I never received any letters from them via mail.

Find packet 4 online. Consulate won’t send it to you until after they receive your case. At the top where I posted all the links you’ll see a link that has the Packet 4 information I believe. In the packet, it’ll give you information on what you need for the interview, where to do the medical exam and police report and other important information you need for the interview. 

Typically, you’ll receive this packet after the embassy receives your case from NVC

After I obtained my case number from NVC, it took another 2 weeks for it to leave NVC. Meaning it sat at NVC for a month before being sent to the embassy. 

While the month was going and we were waiting for NVC to send it to the embassy, we did the medical exam, the police report and paid the visa fee and went ahead and scheduled an interview. Visa fee was $265, medical exam was approximately N100,000 (actually less than but I don’t remember the actual amount) and N7000 for the police can report. 

Again, according to my calculations, I calculated it would take two days for the consulate to receive our case, 4 days to receive a packet. But I’d personally suggest emailing the consulate asking for packet 4. Again, if you receive Packet 4 prior to the embassy sending it you don’t really need to request for it again though they’ll still send it. 

Medical exam in Nigeria takes 10 days to receive the result. So plan to have enough time to pick up your medical exam to have it ready for the interview. The police report I believe is same day. Just a few hours wait but you can get it the same day (fiancé verified if only took him about an hour) and the visa fee you’ll pay $265 at GTB bank and then use the number on your receipt to set up the interview. 

Do not wait for NVC they’ll delay the entire process. 

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. I just wanted to send out this general message to everyone asking to let them know the steps I took. 

Hello,

Thank you for your very informative broadcast.

We checked our tracker last week Wednesday and it shows ready "Ready". We notified Lagos Consular office via email and we were told it has enter their system but they have not received the hard-copy. Hence, we were told that they won't send us anything until they receive the hard-copy. In order to be proactive, we have filled and submitted our DS-160 form and paid for it.

My questions are; Should we go ahead to book appointment for interview, do medical examination and police report? 

OR we should wait till when Lagos Consular office notify us that they have received our physical copy (hard copy), send us packet 4 and book us for the interview?

Your advice will be appreciated.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, jko2332 said:

Question. My fiance went to school in Ghana for 5 years...does he need to get a background check from there too?

Required for all countries where you/beneficiary have lived for more than 6 months since the age of 16 and any country where you have been arrested, even if you were not resident there.  U.S. police certificates are not required.  Police certificates from certain countries are unavailable or are obtained directly by your Embassy (rarely does your embassy execute this step).  Fingerprints are required for certain countries. A list of UK police stations who can provide fingerprinting services is available from the Embassy website, here. (PDF – 337kb) Foreign police certificates are valid indefinitely, unless you have returned to reside in that country or has been arrested since the issuance of the certificate;

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country.html

Once you land on the page, review the left column and select the first letter of the country you want to access. Then select your country and once you land on the page for the country your looking for scroll down a bit and find "Police, Court, Prison Records" tab and select it. First thing you want to know is if you are not physically in the country to request your PCC will they provide one. If they don't provide one because of the requirement that you have to be personally in the country then you will not need one from that country. Take a screen shot and print the page off to bring with your to the interview. Most CO's know which country's you can get a PCC from without to much trouble. In the event the CO does not know this for one of your country's you can offer the screen shot in your defense.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Removal of Conditions

Timeline
On 2/25/2019 at 5:23 AM, Favour08 said:

Hello,

Thank you for your very informative broadcast.

We checked our tracker last week Wednesday and it shows ready "Ready". We notified Lagos Consular office via email and we were told it has enter their system but they have not received the hard-copy. Hence, we were told that they won't send us anything until they receive the hard-copy. In order to be proactive, we have filled and submitted our DS-160 form and paid for it.

My questions are; Should we go ahead to book appointment for interview, do medical examination and police report? 

OR we should wait till when Lagos Consular office notify us that they have received our physical copy (hard copy), send us packet 4 and book us for the interview?

Your advice will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Sorry for the late response but that is what I did. I did everything in advance without waiting for them to email me the information. And to my luck everything worked out perfect.

Timeline
On 7/22/2018 at 10:09 AM, Ijndchyke said:

Hi everyone! 

Ive been receiving MULTIPLE emails about the process I took and how come my own case seems to be going fast and first and fore most I’d like to inform everyone I did a lot of research, was very proactive and was consistent with emailing/calling NVC. So I’ve made notes on the steps and procedures I personally took after receiving my NOA2 and I will post them here for anyone interested. This is for the K1 VISA ONLY. Not the K3 spousal visa

Please be advised I am not asking anyone to follow my steps, step by step. I am just merely offering information on how I did ours. 

Thanks and Goodluck! 

0.   https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/interview.html
this link will provide information about the steps NVC takes once your case is approved by USCIS. 

‭2. (603) 334-0888‬
This is the number for NVC you’ll call to obtain the case and invoice id numbers. You’ll need your USCIS case number, the full name of both the applicant and beneficiary and both birthdays in order to receive any information from them. So have that in handy. Some nvc officers will also ask for email address. If you don’t have one on file with them you can update it at this time. You can also request to add an email address to your case. They have an email address you can email to obtain information but their response time to the emails is terrible. You’d have to wait weeks, even months. 

Note: if you call them and it’s been 2 weeks or more since your case has been approved with USCIS and they’re still telling you they have not received your case, hang up. Call back again then tell the next person you need to expedite your case due to severe financial loss and you were told you needed your case id number to do so. It’ll be better if the petitioner calls NVC for this information. Remember to get both the case and invoice ID number 

0.   https://ceac.state.gov/ceacstattracker/status.aspx           once you obtain a case number from NVC, this is the link you’ll use to check the status of your case at NVC. It’ll say “At NVC” if NVC is still working on your case. “In Transit” if it is on its way to the consulate. “Ready” once the consulate has received it and this is the time they’d prefer for you to set up your interview. Though they’ll be a slight delay waiting for them. As long as your status changes to ready before your interview date you should be fine. 
    0.   https://ceac.state.gov/GenNIV/Default.aspx This is the link you’ll use to fill out the DS-160. You can either fill this out prior to paying the $265 visa fee at GTBank or after. I’d suggest after so you can set up interview immediately after filing the DS-160. 
    0.   http://www.ustraveldocs.com/   This is the link you’ll use to set up interview. Have this in handy with you when setting up the interview: The confirmation number/visa application number from the DS-160 confirmation page. Your receipt number from the GTBank for the visa fee you paid, the case ID number and the USCIS case number.
    0.   https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html#1 This link provides a guide on the steps and procedures for the K1 visa. It’ll give you information on the documentation you need to have ready, an overview or much more. 
    0.   https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/iv-dv-supplemental/LGS-Lagos.pdf this link will provide you with the steps to take for medical exam. It’ll also have the pre-interview checklist and list of approved physicians. Please call them or rather go see them to make inquiries because the information the consulate gives online is inaccurate to what actually happens. Their hours of operation for medical exam is not what it says online. They are not open from 8am-5pm. They’re only open from 8am-10am. Make inquiries first! Call, go there! Don’t assume. 
    0.    Here’s the information on how to obtain the police certificate : Applicants need to contact the Deputy Inspector General, Criminal Investigation Department, Nigeria Police Force, Alagbon Close, Ikoyi, Lagos, Nigeria.  The applicant should bring information regarding their full name, place and date of birth, nationality, passport number, date and place of issuance (for current passport or passport used during applicant's stay in Nigeria), exact periods of residence in Nigeria and addresses where applicant resided.
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Nigeria.html  This is link I got the information from. 
    0.    You’ll need your original birth certificate and a photo copy for the interview. Also I’d advise getting the declaration of age and having that handy. My uncle said you’ll need that once you migrate here. You can obtain your birth certificate from the local government/hospital you were born in. Make sure the name on the application filed with uscis matches the name on the birth certificate. I don’t know anything about name changes so you might have to make inquiries on your own about name changes. You can obtain the declaration of age at the National Population Commission. Here’s their link with their contact info, location e.t.c http://population.gov.ng/contact-us/
    0.    For anything that you do throughout this process, I’d suggest having your international passport with you when you go make inquiries or go to these appointments. Get new passport photos. Remember they are only valid if you’ve gotten them done within 6 months and has not passed the 6 months gap. Also, make photocopies and also have the originals of every single document you are taking with you to your interview. People often get confused so let me elaborate on this, the DS-260 is for people filing spousal K3 visa. Their process is different. The K1 visa applicants fill out the DS-160. On the affidavit of support. The I-864 is for k3 visas/family based visas. The I-134 is for K1 visas, b1/b2 visas etc. 

I hope this information helps! Good luck on your process and I wish you all the best. 

Thank you for this information. I have a question; Do we have have to send or upload financial documents etc to NVC, if yes, at what point?

Or does the applicant just take the documents to the interview only?.

1 hour ago, GreenLt said:

Thank you for this information. I have a question; Do we have have to send or upload financial documents etc to NVC, if yes, at what point?

Or does the applicant just take the documents to the interview only?.

That question has been answered in another thread for you. View it for the answer.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.