Raza12

Online filing for N-400

17 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

Since I’m eligible to file for N-400, my lawyer contacted me and wanted to file as soon as possible. As I was looking online what’s the filing process upon which I found out that there’s an option to files online as well. So I mentioned this to my lawyer as i have found from VJ portal and few of my friends who applied online and got a very quick response and became citizen, but my lawyer doesn’t agree with that and tells me that there have been many issues if you file online and since he does this everyday I should mail my paper work instead.

I don’t agree with him so that’s why I would like some feedback from folks on this forum to share their experience with online filing and kind of advise what should be done. I’m already eligible to file online and would like to do that but couldn’t decide as my lawyer oppose to file online and want to mail the paperwork. 

Thanks! 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Bahamas
Timeline

Quite simply, it wouldn’t benefit your lawyer if you filed online. 🤷🏽‍♀️

Ive been researching the process for a while because my husband is eligible next month. Online seems quicker and almost instant with notifications and what’s not so that’s what I’m going with. Many persons here have had success with the online system so I’ve already started filling it out(you can save the draft for up to 30 days at a time). So far, so good...pretty straight forward. Good luck ! 

Your lawyer is considering his bank account...

If you have a straightforward application  (no convictions or anything) I'd complete the application (online or paper) by yourself, it's fairly straightforward :)

Everything crossed for a smooth and stress free journey

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

I think some good advantages to filing online are ability to respond to RFE's quicker, ability to see the documents before they even arrive in the mail, no need to shell out extra money to a lawyer for something that you can easily do and therefore cut out the middle man, no risk of your package or other documents getting lost in the mail

I don't see a good reason to not. We are going to be filing online when our window opens.

A Tale of Two Dakotaraguans

K1 Journey - 78 Days

Sent I-129F - 11/16/15 [Day 1]
NOA1 - 11/18 (Hard copy: 11/24) [Day 2, Day 8]
NOA2 - 12/18 (Hard copy: 12/26) [Day 32, Day 40]
NVC received file: 1/05/2016 [Day 50] Obtained NVC invoice number, paid visa fee, filled out DS-160: 1/06 [Day 51]
Fiancé's medical: 1/12 9:00am [Day 57]
Interview: 1/22 9:30am, Approved! [67 days] (F)
Visa status on ceac site= "AP": 1/25, "Issued":01/27, "In Transit: 2/02", Visa packet in hand: 2/03 [Day 78]
POE: (Houston) 2/04, North Dakota arrival: 2/05

Married (civil): 2/05/16 (L)

AOS - 55 Days

I-485, AP, EAD sent : 3/03/2016 [Day 1]

Delivered: 3/04 [Day 2]

Electronic NOA1: 3/08 [Day 5]  NOA1 Hardcopy rcv'd in mail: 3/12 [Day 9]; Biometric Notification rcv'd in mail: 3/26 [Day 23]; Biometrics Appt: 4/06 in Fargo, ND [Day 33]

Notification(s): "Your new card is being produced" 4/23 [Day 48] ; "Your case was approved" 4/26 [Day 51]; "Your card was mailed on 4/27" 4/28 [Day 53]

Green Card in Hand: 4/30 [Day 55]

D-day ("Dress day"/I do...again Day/wedding reception): 9/10/16

ROC - 390 days 

Spoiler

Window opens: 1/24/2018

Package sent: 1/26, Delivered on 1/29 at 11:17am to CSC - [Day 1]

Check cashed: 1/31 [Day 3]

NOA1: 1/29 [Day 1]; NOA rcv'd in mail: 2/02 [Day 4]

Biometrics  Sent 5/5, rcv'd in mail 5/12 [Day 107]

Biometrics appt: Not required

18 Month extension letter received, dated 8/18: 8/24/18 [Day 211]

"New Card Being Produced" - 2/11/19 [Day 382], email "we mailed your card on 2/14" - 2/15

Card arrived: 2/19/19 [Day 390]

Citizenship - 643 Days

Spoiler

Window opens: 01/24/2019

E-file: 01/28/2019 [Day 1]

Biometrics = scheduled: 02/01 [Day 4], view uploaded document: 02/05 [Day 8], appointment day: 02/19 [Day 22] In Fargo, ND

Interview scheduled notification online: 9/3/20 [Day 585]

Interview in Minneapolis, MN: 10/20/20 [Day 632] at 12:15 PM: passed/approved

Oath Ceremony: scheduled 10/20, view letter online 10/21

Oath : Fargo, ND 2:15pm at sanctuary events center. No guests allowed

1808 total days of thinking about/waiting for immigrations!

Applied for US Passport 11/4/2020, application approved 1/26/21, passport and naturalization cert received in mailbox: 1/28/21 📘

I filed with the paper method. The e-filing came out the month I applied (if I remember correctly). No one mentioned issues and they seemed to be processed faster but it was hit or miss. I'm still waiting and most have been approved, but my office is also one of the most delayed. File however you prefer. The only reason your lawyer is against it is because he/she is afraid you won't use their services. If you have a straightforward case, just file yourself and save the money. It's not complicated to file either way. Just carve time out of your day to put the paperwork together.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Was coming to say the same thing as others in this thread.....

Lawyer makes a ton more money if you don't file online----and lawyer also knows he stands to make $0 once you see how simple the online filing process is,  and decide to drop him altogether.

Btw---I filed the N400 online and highly recommend it if you are eligible to do so...you can see my timeline below in red.

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

I filed online 5 months ago and have had zero issues with it. It’s been great being able to see notices in my online account before it comes by snail mail so I have a few extra days to know when things are scheduled so I could rearrange things as needed. 

🇺🇸N-400 Timeline🇺🇸 

2/02/18 Filed Online 

2/02/18 Application Received 

2/03/18 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled

2/20/18 Biometrics Completed

5/04/18 Interview Scheduled

6/14/18 Interview (Approved)

7/10/18 Oath Ceremony Scheduled

7/26/18 Oath Ceremony

U.S. Citizen as of July 26, 2018! :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

One nice thing about filing online is that if you forget to upload a document when you originally file the application, you can upload any document later while your N400 is pending. This is especially handy if you're waiting for say your latest IRS transcript but don't want to delay further in submitting the N400.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

13 minutes ago, trudi said:

Your lawyer is considering his bank account...

If you have a straightforward application  (no convictions or anything) I'd complete the application (online or paper) by yourself, it's fairly straightforward :)

Yeah.. no issues as I received my 10 years Greencard last year after divorce with my ex wife after a long wait approx. 2.5 years of filling for removal of condition and an interview( reason for delay given was background check as they call it). 

One more question: As I got married again during last year December, do I have to include my current wife’s copy of the Greencard in my online application? She has lost her Greencard and she doesn’t have a copy of it either and has to apply for a replacement. If the copy of her Greencard has to be part of my online application package I don’t have a choice than waiting or since I know the information of her A#, date issued of her lost greencard, I can include that if a actual copy is not required. Please advise. 

Thanks! 

One more question: Before Filing for my 10 year’s greencard, my marriage didn’t work out and we got divorce but after waiting for 2.5 years and an interview , I got my permenant Greencard approved.  

As I got married again during last year December, do I have to include my current wife’s copy of the Greencard in my online application? She has lost her Greencard and she doesn’t have a copy of it either and has to apply for a replacement. If the copy of her Greencard has to be part of my online application package I don’t have a choice than waiting or since I know the information of her A#, date issued of her lost greencard, I can include that if a actual copy is not required. Please advise. 

4 hours ago, Raza12 said:

Hello everyone,

Since I’m eligible to file for N-400, my lawyer contacted me and wanted to file as soon as possible. As I was looking online what’s the filing process upon which I found out that there’s an option to files online as well. So I mentioned this to my lawyer as i have found from VJ portal and few of my friends who applied online and got a very quick response and became citizen, but my lawyer doesn’t agree with that and tells me that there have been many issues if you file online and since he does this everyday I should mail my paper work instead.

I don’t agree with him so that’s why I would like some feedback from folks on this forum to share their experience with online filing and kind of advise what should be done. I’m already eligible to file online and would like to do that but couldn’t decide as my lawyer oppose to file online and want to mail the paperwork. 

Thanks! 

The lawyer's business is to make money. When I was filing for my AOS my husband hired a lawyer, all he did is to give us the application forms and he mailed it to USCIS. It is not cheap we paid him 2K just for that. I wish I knew visajourney.com to spare what we paid for that service. The lawyer even ask us 1K if he will go with us during the interview. But no thanks to his offer. I've had 3 applications ( 2 Petitions for Alien Relatives and Removal of Condition) without the help of  lawyer and thanks so much with the help of Visa Journey Members who are willing to help if I don't know what to answer in the application forms. Now I'm done filing for Naturalization online and for me it is very convenient. Thanks to Going Through vj member for encouraging us to go online. After 2 days of submitting on line because it's late Friday when I submit it, then Monday morning I got notification that they received my application and I got Biometrics appointment. So, application on line is convenient.

2 hours ago, EireneFaith said:

The lawyer's business is to make money. When I was filing for my AOS my husband hired a lawyer, all he did is to give us the application forms and he mailed it to USCIS. It is not cheap we paid him 2K just for that. I wish I knew visajourney.com to spare what we paid for that service. The lawyer even ask us 1K if he will go with us during the interview. But no thanks to his offer. I've had 3 applications ( 2 Petitions for Alien Relatives and Removal of Condition) without the help of  lawyer and thanks so much with the help of Visa Journey Members who are willing to help if I don't know what to answer in the application forms. Now I'm done filing for Naturalization online and for me it is very convenient. Thanks to Going Through vj member for encouraging us to go online. After 2 days of submitting on line because it's late Friday when I submit it, then Monday morning I got notification that they received my application and I got Biometrics appointment. So, application on line is convenient.

Thanks! 

6 hours ago, Raza12 said:

One more question: Before Filing for my 10 year’s greencard, my marriage didn’t work out and we got divorce but after waiting for 2.5 years and an interview , I got my permenant Greencard approved.  

As I got married again during last year December, do I have to include my current wife’s copy of the Greencard in my online application? She has lost her Greencard and she doesn’t have a copy of it either and has to apply for a replacement. If the copy of her Greencard has to be part of my online application package I don’t have a choice than waiting or since I know the information of her A#, date issued of her lost greencard, I can include that if a actual copy is not required. Please advise. 

Are you filing under 5 year residency or 3 year married to US Citizen? You are divorced to USC if you will file under 3 year rule and your current wife is Green Card Holder. I am not sure if you are eligible under 3 year rule.

17 minutes ago, EireneFaith said:

Are you filing under 5 year residency or 3 year married to US Citizen? You are divorced to USC if you will file under 3 year rule and your current wife is Green Card Holder. I am not sure if you are eligible under 3 year rule.

I’m filing under 5 years. No issues with that but my only concern is that my current wife has lost her greencard and we don’t have copy either. Although I have the details of her greencard so I was checking if I need to enter the details of her greencard in my application or submit a copy? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.