nullaccount234

K1 SSN Manual Verification

15 posts in this topic

Hi, I have an SSN question. I received an acknowledgement of my application stating that "before we can issue you a Social Security number card, we must verify the document(s) you gave us to show your Alien status with the Federal, State, or local office in the United States that issued the document(s)". So in other words, the dreaded manual verification. I read somewhere that there's still a possibility to go back to the SSA and ask them to check the SAVE database again, even if I already submitted my application.

I'm trying to decide if this is something I should try. Background: Entered the US on a K1 on 5/24/2018, went to the SSA 5/29/2018 (twice, had a second SSA guy double check both name and I-94 number in SAVE - neither were found). Got married shortly after visit to the SSA, which is why I did not withdraw my application - thought I might have an even bigger issue applying again post marriage. Anyway, I have not changed my name after marriage, which might be helpful. But I still do not want to go again if there's any risk that my new married status will for some reason affect my application negatively. Any thoughts?

h

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
45 minutes ago, LizM said:

Hi, I have an SSN question. I received an acknowledgement of my application stating that "before we can issue you a Social Security number card, we must verify the document(s) you gave us to show your Alien status with the Federal, State, or local office in the United States that issued the document(s)". So in other words, the dreaded manual verification. I read somewhere that there's still a possibility to go back to the SSA and ask them to check the SAVE database again, even if I already submitted my application.

I'm trying to decide if this is something I should try. Background: Entered the US on a K1 on 5/24/2018, went to the SSA 5/29/2018 (twice, had a second SSA guy double check both name and I-94 number in SAVE - neither were found). Got married shortly after visit to the SSA, which is why I did not withdraw my application - thought I might have an even bigger issue applying again post marriage. Anyway, I have not changed my name after marriage, which might be helpful. But I still do not want to go again if there's any risk that my new married status will for some reason affect my application negatively. Any thoughts?

we are in the same situation. My wife did POE on 5/23/2018, went to SSA on 5/24/2018 and same day after SSA got married and got marriage certificate. 5/31/2018 we send out AOS packet

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Timeline
58 minutes ago, LizM said:

Gotcha. So you got a manual verification, too?

i believe so...we didnt get a SS# number handed to us like i did when i got mine. We have no hurry no more to get one, unless something major changes in EAD happen now. They told us 4 weeks to get a SS#. We have not gone back to SSA to get it verified or nothing.  We decided early on not to have her name changed either. Unfortunately, in Alabama at least, you cannot apply for driver's license w/o EAD or NOA-1 for AOS either. So basically we are stuck. She did have to go to the Dr. and since my insurance wont cover her w/o a social security number it was a quick trip to a urgent care and $150 just for a visit plus meds. :angry:. Hence, the deal on getting the social security as soon as you can to avoid these kind of problems.

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

6 hours ago, Alabamak1 said:

i believe so...we didnt get a SS# number handed to us like i did when i got mine. We have no hurry no more to get one, unless something major changes in EAD happen now. They told us 4 weeks to get a SS#. We have not gone back to SSA to get it verified or nothing.  We decided early on not to have her name changed either. Unfortunately, in Alabama at least, you cannot apply for driver's license w/o EAD or NOA-1 for AOS either. So basically we are stuck. She did have to go to the Dr. and since my insurance wont cover her w/o a social security number it was a quick trip to a urgent care and $150 just for a visit plus meds. :angry:. Hence, the deal on getting the social security as soon as you can to avoid these kind of problems.

Oh really? That sucks. I read that I should be able to get health coverage via Marketplace as soon as I have my AOS NOA1. Supposedly without an SSN even, I have yet to try it though. Maybe you can set her up there in the meantime?

Have you guys decided if she's going to go back to the SSA to try her luck again? 

h

Timeline
7 hours ago, LizM said:

Oh really? That sucks. I read that I should be able to get health coverage via Marketplace as soon as I have my AOS NOA1. Supposedly without an SSN even, I have yet to try it though. Maybe you can set her up there in the meantime?

Have you guys decided if she's going to go back to the SSA to try her luck again? 

We may go next week again to the SSA. Like I said. No hurry now. I am going to put her on my insurance as soon as I get her social. Everything here that I asked requires that. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Paul got manual verification too! <_< We also already married, so hoping that doesn't complicate things LOL We've read countless threads about getting married after, during, before SSN processing, half of which are positive and the other half negative, so we couldn't find an absolute conviction on that. I was able to add him to my health insurance at work as a spouse without having an SSN, so we went ahead and got married so I can get him covered.

The girl we spoke to at SS Office didn't seem to surprised by it, so I'm hoping that's a good sign. She made a comment that sometimes they're approved automatically, and sometimes it makes them send it in, so we're crossing our fingers that's all it means. She said we'll get something in the mail either way within 4 to 6 weeks - he'll get his SS card if it's approved, or we'll get a letter if it's denied.

I assume we can go ahead and file AOS without it...? Provide a copy of the application notice SS gave us to show that's pending?

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

1 hour ago, Paul & Mallory said:

Paul got manual verification too! <_< We also already married, so hoping that doesn't complicate things LOL We've read countless threads about getting married after, during, before SSN processing, half of which are positive and the other half negative, so we couldn't find an absolute conviction on that. I was able to add him to my health insurance at work as a spouse without having an SSN, so we went ahead and got married so I can get him covered.

The girl we spoke to at SS Office didn't seem to surprised by it, so I'm hoping that's a good sign. She made a comment that sometimes they're approved automatically, and sometimes it makes them send it in, so we're crossing our fingers that's all it means. She said we'll get something in the mail either way within 4 to 6 weeks - he'll get his SS card if it's approved, or we'll get a letter if it's denied.

I assume we can go ahead and file AOS without it...? Provide a copy of the application notice SS gave us to show that's pending?

I did not provide anything in my AOS application with regards to the SSN. I just filled out somewhere I believe that I did not want to apply for one at this time (since I already had an application processing). But I'm sure it doesn't hurt to provide a copy :)

Sorry to hear about your manual verification! I don't understand why it has to be such an issue. From what I understand, the SSA verify your legal status by checking if your arrival is listed in the SAVE database (you can check yourself: https://save.uscis.gov/CaseCheck/CaseCheck.aspx). If it is not, they send a paper G-845 to the USCIS. Except that routine changed on June 1st, and now they request that info electronically, too (https://www.uscis.gov/news/save-goes-completely-paperless).

I applied for my SSN on May 29th so I'm sure I probably missed the new routine unfortunately. I was at the SSA today and I asked the lady if she could 1, check my case status in SAVE again (she said not possible, even though it is) and 2, did they send a paper G-845 or electronic request for verification (to which she said "We check electronically first, then if that doesn't work, we have to contact them and wait for their reply...", basically just repeating what I had already said). So not much help there at all. But I think the problem is I'm actually not in SAVE. I can't find anything on my I-94 number or A-number. I can find something on my passport number, but that seems to be the SSN application. So yep, just waiting :) 

By the way, please come join the June 2018 AOS Filers!

h

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello. We are experiencing the same problem right now. We were about to go to SSA but noticed we dont see my fiance’s case in SAVE. 

Do we have to wait a little bit and check the system again before applying SSN?

• 3 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I'm in the same situation, went to the SSA 5 days after POE to check if my name was already in the SAVE database so I could get a SSN, but the lady started a manual verification without me asking for it, so I received the same letter as you did, saying that they must verify my documents and it may take up to 4 weeks.

If i go to the SAVE website now, I can see that the case is still under review at the Maryland SSA. It also says "Maximum Days Left" 4 days.

I am worried because I am going to get married this friday, so I hope that doesn't interfere with this SSN application and I still get it (I'm not changing my name). I went to another SSA to ask about this and the guy told me I should get married and not worried about it, it's probably going to be fine.

• 5 weeks later...

I was in the same situation too. It took them 39 days to issue me a SSN and the guy said it may take another 2 weeks for the card to arrive (still currently waiting for it). 

It is worth noting that I called the SSA office (waited for 2 hours on the line) on day 37 they told me that they hadn't issued/processed my SSN. Three days later, at the local SSA office I was told my SSN was issued the day before. It's kinda odd that my SSN was issued the day after I called, right? Can't say for sure, but yeah.

On 11/1/2018 at 7:33 PM, sheenaph said:

I was in the same situation too. It took them 39 days to issue me a SSN and the guy said it may take another 2 weeks for the card to arrive (still currently waiting for it). 

It is worth noting that I called the SSA office (waited for 2 hours on the line) on day 37 they told me that they hadn't issued/processed my SSN. Three days later, at the local SSA office I was told my SSN was issued the day before. It's kinda odd that my SSN was issued the day after I called, right? Can't say for sure, but yeah.

So I went today to the SSA office after 4 weeks of MV. The lady there said the proior person at the office had not followed up on my case and said she will go ahead and verify me. She typed some stuff on the computer and said the card will come in 7 days and she will call me Monday to give me the number. Boss! 

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline
On 11/1/2018 at 7:33 PM, sheenaph said:

I struggled to no end with SSA and on two occasions either my case was updated on SAVE or an action was taken to initiate another level of verification, both times coincidentally the day after I call.   

• 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 6/8/2018 at 12:48 PM, Paul & Mallory said:

Hi there.. Just got back from our visit to the SSA, and got the “Manual verification” letter too.. we are currently organizing our AOS/EAD/AP packet, and got stuck with the question about wanting to get an SSN.. I just want to ask if you provided a copy of the letter that you got from SSA? I’m kind of leaning towards that too.. thanks in advance for your Help.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.