1,652 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
5 minutes ago, LizM said:

Thank you guys!

Unfortunately, no luck at the SSA - still in manual verification jungle - however, I'm very happy to say that I was able to get a bank account today :D

I spontaneously went over to TD Bank because a Google search made it seem they accepted customers without SSNs. And it was true, they only needed two forms of identification - however, they also need proof of a US address... So I disappointedly left because I have no such thing, no state ID (because that requires proof of address too <_<), no utility bills, no bank statements addressed to my home (obviously). But as I was walking back I realized that my US address is on my marriage certificate. Which I had in my bag. So I went back and they accepted it! To everyone who feels stuck because they don't have their SSN yet, you are not screwed! And the best part is now I have additional proof of address to bring with me when I try to get a State ID at the DMV next week :) I am strong without an SSN! Hehe.

FYI, the TD checking account + debit card is free if you keep a minimum of $100 in it. They wanted me to deposit $25 while I opened it and there was a $3 fee to withdraw those $25 but I can live with that. I had wanted to become a customer in my husband's bank to open a joint account with him, but his bank will not accept no SSN or ITIN, so this is absolutely fine for now, just happy that I could do something.

I feel your joy...

Thanks for the TD Bank tip..... my husband still hasn't received his SSN and it has been four weeks. 

1 minute ago, Michelle M said:

I feel your joy...

Thanks for the TD Bank tip..... my husband still hasn't received his SSN and it has been four weeks. 

Urgh four weeks! That sucks. Have you gone by again to inquire about it? The letter the SSA gave me said it can take four weeks (I was naively hoping for less of course). And today when I went back, the lady told be to only come back when those four weeks were up. Maybe that's something you could try if you haven't already.

h

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
4 minutes ago, LizM said:

Urgh four weeks! That sucks. Have you gone by again to inquire about it? The letter the SSA gave me said it can take four weeks (I was naively hoping for less of course). And today when I went back, the lady told be to only come back when those four weeks were up. Maybe that's something you could try if you haven't already.

We just made four weeks this week, so we'll pay them another visit next week.  Hopefully we'll get somewhere then.

13 minutes ago, Michelle M said:

I feel your joy...

I suggest you call the local office or just go in to ask what happened. Because I have waited 5 weeks and finally I called and they said they have sent me a card two weeks ago and I just never got it. So I went in today and apply to replace SSN card.

1 minute ago, Tomalley said:

I suggest you call the local office or just go in to ask what happened. Because I have waited 5 weeks and finally I called and they said they have sent me a card two weeks ago and I just never got it. So I went in today and apply to replace SSN card.

Oh, really? Did they have the wrong address or did you figure out why you never got it?

h

30 minutes ago, PadieNerkBrapone said:

I've received online case status notices of receipt for all three applications (AOS, EAD, and AP) but my letter did not state I-131 either, just I-485 and I-765. I assume the AP does not require a Biometrics or maybe it does and they use it from the I-485 and/or I-765.

I got a NOA1 for each application (AOS, EAD, and AP). So three NOA1's.

Yeah. I just called USCIS and I guess it doesn’t matter that i131 case number was not on my biometric appointment letter. Because my mailman was doing something wrong and I never got those three NOA1. Thank you very much.

7 minutes ago, LizM said:

Oh, really? Did they have the wrong address or did you figure out why you never got it?

I have the correct address. I kept missing all my mails. Our mailman is not doing a good job I guess. Our post office just assigned a new mailman to come tomorrow and will try to help us find all our missing mails. I didnt get three NOA1 either. But luckily I got a biometric letter today.

11 minutes ago, LizM said:

When I went into the SSN local office on May 7, they couldnt find me in their system either. They asked for my I94 but they still accepted my application for the SSN.  If my mail service was doing things right, I should have got my SSN card on around May 23. So it was not even 4 weeks.

37 minutes ago, LizM said:

Thank you guys!

Unfortunately, no luck at the SSA - still in manual verification jungle - however, I'm very happy to say that I was able to get a bank account today :D

I spontaneously went over to TD Bank because a Google search made it seem they accepted customers without SSNs. And it was true, they only needed two forms of identification - however, they also need proof of a US address... So I disappointedly left because I have no such thing, no state ID (because that requires proof of address too <_<), no utility bills, no bank statements addressed to my home (obviously). But as I was walking back I realized that my US address is on my marriage certificate. Which I had in my bag. So I went back and they accepted it! To everyone who feels stuck because they don't have their SSN yet, you are not screwed! And the best part is now I have additional proof of address to bring with me when I try to get a State ID at the DMV next week :) I am strong without an SSN! Hehe.

FYI, the TD checking account + debit card is free if you keep a minimum of $100 in it. They wanted me to deposit $25 while I opened it and there was a $3 fee to withdraw those $25 but I can live with that. I had wanted to become a customer in my husband's bank to open a joint account with him, but his bank will not accept no SSN or ITIN, so this is absolutely fine for now, just happy that I could do something.

I got an bank card from Bank of America without SSN number at all. Just showed my passport and a receipt from SSN office. Also my husband just got me a credit card with his bank account, but my name is on the credit card, i guess that is a joint credit card accout。

I did check with DMV to get a driver license, in my local office, they require SSN card, NOA1 of AOS, I94, K1visa, passport, marriage certificate and I can get a 1 year driver license. But I am still reading my driving handbook to prepare for my wrriten test.

There is my timeline

5/23 sent my AOS (i485/i1765/i131/i864)

5/30 e-notification (3 cases numbers  of i485/i765/i131)

because my mailman wasnt putting mails correctly, didnt get any NOA1

6/8 biometric letter (only has i485/i765 on case type, no i131. A bit weird) But i called USCIS and they said it is ok..

6/20 biometric appointment.

IMPORTANT: if you dont show up on the scheduled biometric appointment, your application would be considered ABANDONED. Be aware of this.

I have a question. Can someone on here who successfully got issued their SSN by going in to the SSA sometime after their K1 Visa Arrival, check if they can find their own I-94 number in SAVE? I just want to know if they find an entry or not. I can't find anything on my I-94 or my A-number. Only my passport number, but that entry is dated 29th of May (same day I appled for SSN) so I think it might just be the SSAs entry/request (?).

Anyway, here's the link: https://save.uscis.gov/CaseCheck/CaseCheck.aspx. If you don't want to add any sensitive numbers to a link provided by a complete stranger on a forum (I am not evil, but still :D) go to USCIS.gov and search for 'SAVE casecheck' and you will find the database. I would very much appreciate it, as then I will not be going over to the SSA again but just be comforted by the fact that my entry is not there, until it is :) 

Edited by LizM

h

1 minute ago, LizM said:

I have a question. Can someone on here who successfully got their SSN by going in sometime after their K1 Visa Arrival, check if they can find their own I-94 number in SAVE? I just want to know if they find an entry or not. I can't find anything on my I-94 or my A-number. Only my passport number, but that entry is dated 29th of May (same day I appled for SSN) so I think it might just be the SSAs entry/request (?).

Anyway, here's the link: https://save.uscis.gov/CaseCheck/CaseCheck.aspx. If you don't want to add any sensitive numbers to a link provided by a complete stranger on a forum (I am not evil, but still :D) go to USCIS.gov and search for 'SAVE casecheck' and you will find the database). I would very much appreciate it, as then I will not be going over to the SSA again but just be comforted by the fact that my entry is not there, until it is :) 

Hi! 

Thanks to your post I used that site to check mine. I found the same application using my Passport number and I-94 number. It would seem it's the same application. I also visited 5/29. I am currently waiting for a call back from the SSA as mine said that the case was returned to the agency (However in Maryland rather than Portland). What does yours say when you find it via your passport number?

Emily

14 minutes ago, emylady said:

Hi! 

Thanks to your post I used that site to check mine. I found the same application using my Passport number and I-94 number. It would seem it's the same application. I also visited 5/29. I am currently waiting for a call back from the SSA as mine said that the case was returned to the agency (However in Maryland rather than Portland). What does yours say when you find it via your passport number?

Emily

Hi! Perfect, thank you! When I find mine through my passport number it also says it's been returned to the Agency, see below.

So you have not gotten your SSN yet?

Screen Shot 2018-06-08 at 15.45.24.png

h

Just now, LizM said:

Hi! Perfect, thank you! When I find mine through my passport number it also says it's been returned to the Agency, see below.

So you have not gotten your SSN yet?

Screen Shot 2018-06-08 at 15.45.24.png

Nope, still not got mine. I applied the same day as you. However, it looks like all requests go to Maryland as yours says the same. I expect that they're printing our cards as we speak! As soon as I get this call back, I'll let you know what they say!

8 minutes ago, emylady said:

Nope, still not got mine. I applied the same day as you. However, it looks like all requests go to Maryland as yours says the same. I expect that they're printing our cards as we speak! As soon as I get this call back, I'll let you know what they say!

Oh, so you're going to talk to SSA in Maryland? I wasn't sure how to interpret "returned to agency". Hope they call you back soon!

h

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.