TineCW

Entered the US on VWP. I-130 was approved. What Are Repercussions For Not Filing I-130 & I-485 Concurrently?

59 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Netherlands
Timeline

We are a gay couple. He is a US citizen and I am a Dutch citizen. We met one another in March 2017 via a dating website. We had spent passionate 2.5 months interacting with one another via the Internet before he invited me to the United States for a  visit. 

I came to the USA on the Visa Waiver Program. I didn't intend to stay in the US longer than one month on my first visit and had a return flight ticket. Then one week into my stay with my partner in the US we realized that we were destined for one another and that we would like to be united asap. 

On the ninth day of my arrival in Oregon, we got married. 33 days after our marriage my husband applied to USCIS with a Petition For Alien Relative (form I-130). From what we understood then we had a choice to file for a green card concurrently with Form I-130 or separately at a later date. We chose to file Adjustment of Status after I-130 would get approved. I-130 got approved by USCIS without any problem in exactly eight months and now we are in a process of applying for a green card. 

What remains an unanswered question to me is what is USCIS' stance on people who enter the United States on the Visa Waiver Program and marry here so quickly like we did. Does the 90-day rule apply to this category of people as well? 

Also, my partner filed a Petition For Alien Relative during the 90 day period permitted by the VWP but we didn't file Adjustment Of Status concurrently with I-130, for a year I've been living in the US without a lawful status waiting for the approval of I-130. Is it still considered an overstay if only I-130 was filed first and I-485 we file one year later?

Edited by TineCW

Nvm.

Edited by Roel

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Timeline

Yes, we filed only a Petition for Alien Relative (form i-130) because we had a choice to file I-485 together with I-130 or file it at a later date. Also, we wanted to file a joint tax return with the IRS in order to include it in our green card application; obviously it takes time. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Have you filed Adjustment of Status yet?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

What is not clear to me is - since I entered the US on the VWP that allows only 90 days of stay, and we filed only I-130, is a case like this considered an overstay? 

Edited by TineCW

Timeline
1 minute ago, TineCW said:

What is not clear to me is - since I entered the US on the VWP that allows only 90 days of stay, and we filed only I-130, is a case like this considered an overstay? 

Absolutely.......you are out of status until you file I-485......at which time you will have "authorized stay" status.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Timeline
5 minutes ago, TineCW said:

Yes, you overstayed because you did not file the I-485 within the 90 days of your authorized stay.  However, it does not matter if you overstayed or not.  Once the I-485 was/is filed based on marriage to a US citizen, any overstay becomes irrelevant.  Repeating this - you do not have a problem.

Edited by Jojo92122

Timeline
1 minute ago, Jojo92122 said:

Yes, you overstayed because you did not file the I-485 within the 90 days of your authorized stay.  However, it does not matter if you overstayed or not.  Once the I-485 was filed based on marriage to a US citizen, any overstay became irrelevant.  Repeating this - you do not have a problem.

He hasn't filed the I-485 yet.....so he is out of status and subject to deportation, imo.

Edited by missileman

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
6 minutes ago, TineCW said:

Yes, because you didn't file I485 concurrently.

I485 is requesting an adjustment of your status.

Edited by mcdull

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
2 minutes ago, TineCW said:

Thank you! Makes sense. I've just had an immigration medical exam are we are ready to file I-485. 

don't forget to also file for AP and EAD.

Timeline

Do you have the approval for the I-130?  You should submit the NOA along with the I-485.

Timeline
10 minutes ago, missileman said:

He hasn't filed the I-485 yet.....so he is out of status and subject to deportation, imo.

I've found an answer here. Thank you!

"A foreign national is barred from adjustment of status if the foreign national is in an unlawful immigration status on the date of filing the adjustment application. This bar to adjustment does not apply to: 

Immediate relatives;"

https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume7-PartB-Chapter3.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.