Merlofil

Entering US to marry for CR1 questions

44 posts in this topic

Unfortunately, no one can give you a definitive answer because every entry is at the discretion of the officer, as @Little_Vixen said. The risk is that the officer decides to send you straight back home.  It sounds like you have good evidence for your return home and honest intent so that all works well in your favor but there's still that small chance CBP may not let you enter. I would go for it but I wouldn't plan an expensive or nonrefundable wedding just to be on the safe side.

Also, you'll probably see these two threads be merged since we aren't supposed to have multiple threads on the topic.

15 hours ago, Merlofil said:

I have no intention to lie. I just want to know the risk involved in saying "I am here to marry my girlfriend, I have documentation to show that I will need to go back to London to finish my studies and we will apply for the CR1 visa from there". I want to do things the right way but always making sure that I dont put our relationship and future status at risk

None of those things are a lie.  If you have documentation, pack appropriately and keep the trip short (aka not 90 days) chances of denial for entry imho are slim.  I was never denied entry to visit my husband stating exactly that. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

4 minutes ago, SeabreezeUF said:

Unfortunately, no one can give you a definitive answer because every entry is at the discretion of the officer, as @Little_Vixen said. The risk is that the officer decides to send you straight back home.  It sounds like you have good evidence for your return home and honest intent so that all works well in your favor but there's still that small chance CBP may not let you enter. I would go for it but I wouldn't plan an expensive or nonrefundable wedding just to be on the safe side.

Also, you'll probably see these two threads be merged since we aren't supposed to have multiple threads on the topic.

Thank you for your honest opinion! I am really looking at the CR1 despite the risk because as a 25 year old graduate sitting at home for 6 months really isnt ideal.

One thing with the cbp, be concise.  Don't be wordy.  Dont offer more information than asked. 

Purpose of visit? Getting married to my girl friend. (Or visiting girlfriend which is the truth) 

How long is your stay? Say date when you are leaving.

Where do you work? I dont I go to school at X. I'm in the middle of X degree. 

Dont go into immigration questions unless asked.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I take it you have a visitor visa.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
2 hours ago, Merlofil said:

I made a similar thread yesterday but received conflicting information therefore I wanted to post again in order to get more opinions!

do not create multiple topics on the same subject

duplicate topics merged

charles

vj moderation

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

4 hours ago, NikLR said:

One thing with the cbp, be concise.  Don't be wordy.  Dont offer more information than asked. 

Purpose of visit? Getting married to my girl friend. (Or visiting girlfriend which is the truth) 

How long is your stay? Say date when you are leaving.

Where do you work? I dont I go to school at X. I'm in the middle of X degree. 

Dont go into immigration questions unless asked.  

Thank you for your advise, it actually really helps. The one thing I’m unclear on is if I state I’m visiting my girlfriend, marry and then leave would that be considered visa fraud as I didn’t tell them I was getting married?

4 hours ago, SeabreezeUF said:

We would literally just get married in a courthouse and I would leave within a month. It would be during spring break for my masters. I just don’t know if it’s worth the risk and shouldn’t instead consider a k-1. I just don’t want to sit at home at 24 after graduating from my masters.

4 hours ago, Boiler said:

I take it you have a visitor visa.

Correct I would be entering on an esta, marrying and then departing within the month. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I thought with the CR-1 you had to get married outside the US? Either way it really isn't lieing if you come to visit and get married then leave and file the CR-1, but obviously it will show that you got married in the US.... It would be fraud if you came with the intention to get married and then file AOS, but you have no plans to do that. 

Edited by javadown2

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Since you mention she is from poor family,   the CR1 is definetly the way to go / saves the over $1200 AOS fee

BTW  green card sometimes comes fast but sometimes little slower / ours came in 6 weeks

and you need green card to work

also when interviewing you will need the criminal investigation from both UK (living there) and Italy (as you are Italian citizen)

u don't mention her state but if you are close to Canadian border,  she could cross and marry there too

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline
22 hours ago, Merlofil said:

I have just seen lots of people stating that although its perfectly legal to come and get married and then leave its actually very hard to do in practice as the CBP get very defensive when it comes to people coming to get married. I would just much rather have the CR1 then the K1 but if proving my intent to go back to the UK could lead to me not being admitted I'm not sure its worth the risk. 

My husband (also an Italian citizen) came in December 2017 for a visit and we got married two days after he entered. He returned back to Italy after a few weeks and we submitted our CR-1 Visa petition. He has never had any issues at entry. CBP are usually like "what's your intent" "where will you be staying" "what's your fiancé's name" etc. The questions are never too crazy and I don't think being honest will hurt you, but when you enter if you say, "I'm here to see my fiance," you're not lying! Good luck!

Edited by ad8816

Met for the first time: 7/2015 (Italy) 

Married: 12/20/2017 (California) :luv:

I-130 petition sent to AZ lockbox: 1/29/2018

I-130 received at AZ lockbox: 1/31/2018

Text/Email update: 2/6/2018 

• Texas Service Center 

NOA1 hard copy: 2/10/2018

• Receipt Date: 2/5/2018

I-130 APPROVED: 8/1/2018

Sent to US Dept. of State: 8/6/2018

Dept. of State Received: 8/15/2018

NVC Welcome Email: 9/4/2018 (around 20:30 California time)

• Paid IV and AOS Fees: 9/4/2018

Completed and Submitted AOS Documents: 9/14/2018

Submitted everything to NVC: 9/16/2018

NVC Case Completed: 10/2/2018 

• Received approval for all AOS and IV documents BUT had to rotate and re-upload husband's passport biographic info page: 9/20/2018

Interview: 11/13/2018 (Naples, Italy)

🇺🇸 APPROVED! 🇺🇸

Immigration day: 12/13/2018

• Point Of Entry: SFO

Timeline
1 minute ago, NJI751 said:

Does the 30-60-90 day rule apply in this case or not?

I believe that is if he has the intent to stay in USA and adjust status. 

• Texas Service Center 

• Received approval for all AOS and IV documents BUT had to rotate and re-upload husband's passport biographic info page: 9/20/2018

🇺🇸 APPROVED! 🇺🇸

Timeline
3 minutes ago, NJI751 said:

Does the 30-60-90 day rule apply in this case or not?

But if he is coming here with the intent to get married and adjust, then I believe that is considered Visa fraud. 

• Texas Service Center 

🇺🇸 APPROVED! 🇺🇸

9 minutes ago, ad8816 said:

My husband (also an Italian citizen) came in December 2017 for a visit and we got married two days after he entered. He returned back to Italy after a few weeks and we submitted our CR-1 Visa petition. He has never had any issues at entry. CBP are usually like "what's your intent" "where will you be staying" "what's your fiancé's name" etc. The questions are never too crazy and I don't think being honest will hurt you, but when you enter if you say, "I'm here to see my fiance," you're not lying! Good luck!

Thank you for your answer! So he didn’t state he was there to marry you? He just said visiting and then you got married?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.