jamil madhebi

truck drivers can work in usa ?

21 posts in this topic

hello everyone i recently posted a topic about working in the usa i found that my education is not that good to work there but i heard that in canada and the usa  truck drivers are in demand i already have a driving license im aplying now for bus license after it i maybe go for the truck license if i get all of them and with some exprience is there a chance to get a work visa for truck driving  job ? can i get some more information about it and im from algeria 

Doubt it. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

They may be in 'demand' but there are also a lot of eligible people available locally. 

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

You can try to find a truck company that is willing to apply for you. But I doubt that industry has many immigrantion options.

A truck driver requires a CDL license which is an American standard. So you will need to take the CDL course, which is usually 6 months, and then take the exam in the US. How are you going to get the CDL so you can get hired if you can’t get to the US?

Let me explain how the process works because you seem to not be aware. You found out that a person just can’t get up and pack their bags and come to America to work as a waiter in a restaurant. You learned that you have to be highly skilled in a preferably a STEM field. STEM stand for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathmatics. This is why a college educated person would be easier to get a visa than, say, a service worker.

Work visas are extremely difficult because they are also limited on how many are given per year. Not only that, they are almost immediately taken up by large corporations. 

In order for a company to be granted a visa they have to prove that there aren’t sufficient Americans that can perform the job. This is why a lower level job like a cashier at a groceries store will likely never get a work visa because there are many Americans that qualify for it. But a Drug company can look for Chemist with a PHD in other countries because that is a highly competitive position.

One thing you have to remember is the foreigner doesn’t apply for the visa, the company that is higher it him/her will apply. And a work visa cost thousands of dollars of money and often requires lawyers to file the petition. So a company wants to be sure that the person is worth using all of those resources. So if a company can hire a person that lives a few miles away and have all of the requirements why would it spend tons of money, legal resources, and time on immigrating someone from another country?

There are ALWAYS jobs and fields that are looking for talent. Do be fooled into thinking you have an opportunity because you see advertisements for job openings.

I hope this helps you understand. I know you are looking for better opportunities but sometimes it is not as easy as you think it is. Many time people don’t understand that it is a simple task of picking a place in the US, packing bags, get on a flight, and start living the “American Dream”. 

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Wait - I actually know someone who did this, albeit some years ago, maybe 8 or so years ago so not sure if things have changed. I think he did it under a seasonal visa program, I know he spent a few months each year in the US driving trucks, for 4 or 5 years, and made really good money doing it. (But it’s not something you can get a permanent work visa for, so if that’s what you’re after it unfortunately won’t work.)

you can try DV lottery as an Algerian.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The Ski resorts bring people over to operate the Buses in the Winter, remember them taking their test when I was last at the DMV.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Yup plenty foreigners work in all sorts of things on the ski resorts in season, there are a bunch of South Africans and Australians too so you don’t need to come from a snowy country either 

the guy I knew was doing cross country big truck driving, I guess he got a license here at some stage 

*btw, when I said good money before I meant compared to what he earned at home, he’d basically fund his entire year on his few months of driving trucks across the US. I don’t know how well paid it is in context of living in the US.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline

He would need a CDL to drive a Semi, much easier for the smaller vehicles.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

3 hours ago, Boiler said:

He would need a CDL to drive a Semi, much easier for the smaller vehicles.

And more competition, if he already has a truck license in home country doing CDL in US should be easy enough? Depends on other things too - if you’re young and sociable, it’s probably way more fun being on a ski resort than driving a truck alone for hours on end even if it pays much better.

Timeline
1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

And more competition, if he already has a truck license in home country doing CDL in US should be easy enough? Depends on other things too - if you’re young and sociable, it’s probably way more fun being on a ski resort than driving a truck alone for hours on end even if it pays much better.

Good point, also he will be used to driving on the wrong side of the road.

Timeline
1 minute ago, SusieQQQ said:

My friend seemed to manage the wrong side of the road just fine !!! 

Did not take me too long to switch over but I had some prior experience.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Once you obtain your work permit and finish trucking school the sky is the limit. Every trucking company is hiring. There are 200 jobs for every available driver. Maintain a clean background, driving record and DO NOT take any drugs. You are looking at $50,000 - $60,000 your first year. Once you have over one year experience you can walk into any trucking company in the US and get hired. But after reading your original post, getting a visa based on work as a truck driver is going to be extremely difficult. Doctor, nurse, engineer, entrepreneur, investor; these are the occupations they give work visas for. Sorry for the bad news. You can give it a shot though.

Edited by extremerecluse

event.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.