Ann1227

US B1/B2 visa - validity after annulment

14 posts in this topic

Hi -  I would like to seek an advice. I am a B1/B2 10yr visa holder from the Philippines. I was married  but separated when my visa was granted 2016 and will expire 2026. I was married to a Filipino citizen/visa-non holder. A year after my visa was granted, annullment papers was released - year 2017. My passport is about to expire. Should i renew it using my married name for the meantime to avoid change name issues at the US port of entry? Currently, my visa holds a married name. Or do i need to re-apply a new visa as single?

In addition, i was petitioned year 2018 for L-130.        Would it affect the status of my petition? Can i update my passport using maiden name before the visa expires or before my immigrant interview? I would greatly appreciate everyone’s response.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
1 minute ago, Ann1227 said:

Hi -  I would like to seek an advice. I am a B1/B2 10yr visa holder from the Philippines. I was married  but separated when my visa was granted 2016 and will expire 2026. I was married to a Filipino citizen/visa-non holder. A year after my visa was granted, annullment papers was released - year 2017. My passport is about to expire. Should i renew it using my married name for the meantime to avoid change name issues at the US port of entry? Currently, my visa holds a married name. Or do i need to re-apply a new visa as single?

In addition, i was petitioned year 2018 for L-130.        Would it affect the status of my petition? Can i update my passport using maiden name before the visa expires or before my immigrant interview? I would greatly appreciate everyone’s response.

what is your legal name?? you need to review passport in what is your new legal name, if you try and renew under a non legal name imo that would be an issue, however you said you petitioned year 2018 for L-130 do you mean I-130 spouse immigration visa for USA?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You take both passports, the old one with the visa and the new one with your single name. I would also take whatever you get with an annulment to show your name change.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Hi Khallaf- thank you for your reply. My visa name was Annika Cruz Alonzo (married name). Since i am already annulled it should look like Annika Reyes Cruz (maiden name).  Should i have problems at the US port of entry due to change name? Should i re-apply visa then? Is my visa revoked due to change name? Or maybe i can renew my passport (as married) as is to avoid conflicts in the immigration. Any thoughts on this?

Its i-130 petition for an alien relative. I was petitioned by my father.

5 minutes ago, Boiler said:

You take both passports, the old one with the visa and the new one with your single name. I would also take whatever you get with an annulment to show your name change.

Hi Boiler- thank you for your reply. I found this on the website of the US embassy in the Philippines. Though it does not clearly state that      It is a requirement. Only a recommendation. Any thoughts on this? Should i get hold at the US port of entry w/o reapplying visa as single?79E3FFD7-7292-435D-8E1C-40C896309779.thumb.png.44c97fe8fe292a5957d77a13039cbdda.png

Visas are not revoked/voided/canceled due to a name change. But you need to carry acceptable proof of the legal name change connecting the name on your ID (passport) with that of your entry document (visa).

7 minutes ago, Ann1227 said:

I found this on the website of the US embassy in the Philippines. Though it does not clearly state that      It is a requirement. Only a recommendation. Any thoughts on this?

The recommendation is to avoid having to use/carry multiple passports along with evidence of the name change. Optimally, having a new passport with a new visa is preferred as it's just simpler all around. But it's not a requirement.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Ann1227 said:

Hi Khallaf- thank you for your reply. My visa name was Annika Cruz Alonzo (married name). Since i am already annulled it should look like Annika Reyes Cruz (maiden name).  Should i have problems at the US port of entry due to change name? Should i re-apply visa then? Is my visa revoked due to change name? Or maybe i can renew my passport (as married) as is to avoid conflicts in the immigration. Any thoughts on this?

Its i-130 petition for an alien relative. I was petitioned by my father.

I assume that passport that has your valid visitor visa is in your married name, as well as the visa, you need to take as above mentioned to review your passport all the information from your annulment, to update the passport, as far as the visa goes, I can not answer if this will void out the visa, this I am not an expert on this, if your I-130 was put in with your married name, the USC petitioner needs to contact the USCIS office to see how to go about changing the name on the documents to what is your legal name in the Philippines as it stands now, or you will have further issues at interview.

As said, take proof of name change, if changing a name meant US CBP couldn’t figure out who you are it would be a massive security issue! (The “ease” of matching names is just that, it’s easier...One passport with visa in rather than 2 plus proof of name change.) In your case with a I130 approved since your original visa was issued, getting a new B visa might not just be a formality, either.

7 hours ago, geowrian said:

Visas are not revoked/voided/canceled due to a name change. But you need to carry acceptable proof of the legal name change connecting the name on your ID (passport) with that of your entry document (visa).

The recommendation is to avoid having to use/carry multiple passports along with evidence of the name change. Optimally, having a new passport with a new visa is preferred as it's just simpler all around. But it's not a requirement.

Thank you @geowrian . I greatly appreciate your comments. I will then renew my passport as single and bring the old one together with the annullment papers when travelling.  A follow up question,  a petition ( I-130) was filed for me under my Married Name but it was indicated on the form that i was annulled. And the petitioner also indicated my Maiden name in the petition form as (other name). Would that be a problem? Thanks in advance.

7 hours ago, Khallaf said:

I assume that passport that has your valid visitor visa is in your married name, as well as the visa, you need to take as above mentioned to review your passport all the information from your annulment, to update the passport, as far as the visa goes, I can not answer if this will void out the visa, this I am not an expert on this, if your I-130 was put in with your married name, the USC petitioner needs to contact the USCIS office to see how to go about changing the name on the documents to what is your legal name in the Philippines as it stands now, or you will have further issues at interview.

Hi @Khallaf - thank you for your comments.

I will then update my passport as single as advised by other members in this group. I will just carry all my legal documents during travel. I was petitioned using my married name. But it was indicated in the form that i was annulled. And the petitioner also indicated my maiden name as ‘other name’ on the form. Would that be an issue as well? Thanks in advance

4 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

As said, take proof of name change, if changing a name meant US CBP couldn’t figure out who you are it would be a massive security issue! (The “ease” of matching names is just that, it’s easier...One passport with visa in rather than 2 plus proof of name change.) In your case with a I130 approved since your original visa was issued, getting a new B visa might not just be a formality, either.

Hi @SusieQQQ thank you for your reply. As advised i will update passport with my maiden name and bring along the old one w/ married name during travel as well as legal papers.  I hope this would not be an issue at US port of entry

51 minutes ago, Ann1227 said:

Thank you @geowrian . I greatly appreciate your comments. I will then renew my passport as single and bring the old one together with the annullment papers when travelling.  A follow up question,  a petition ( I-130) was filed for me under my Married Name but it was indicated on the form that i was annulled. And the petitioner also indicated my Maiden name in the petition form as (other name). Would that be a problem? Thanks in advance.

Many petitions take a long time and involve beneficiaries with name changes in the interim, nothing to worry about. when it’s time to do the actual application you’ll fill in a form called DS260 in which you will list all the names you’ve been known by and in the interview you will bring copies of any official name change papers, such as marriage, annulment etc. What is maybe more important than the name change is for your father to get you changed from married to single, assuming you were married when he filed originally, which will speed up the application significantly by moving the category from F3 to F1. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

• 2 years later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~ZOmbie post locked to further replies. The OP has not been back online since this thread.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.