1,678 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
4 hours ago, negrontolon said:

hey guys can anyone share the FB link of this group everyone talk about

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1384365091808264/  most of the posts are in Spanish but I am using Google translate from the browser..

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1249726488398355/

Timeline
On 2/5/2020 at 6:33 PM, Tyssa said:

Hi guys! I’m wondering if the public charge would affect more the interview and not the waiver approvals??? What have you all been hearing? Let’s keep this thread going to inform each other and help everyone to be prepared for it in the interviews. 

I haven't heard of 601a denials due to public charge. I've seen an approval of 601a that couldn't move forward b/c beneficiary couldn't find a co-sponsor . The only denial of 601a I saw when applicant was in deportation proceedings. It seems the new rule applies to adjustment of status applicants only; I am guessing there should be some rules for consular officer to determine if Visa applicant is public charge. In 2013-2014 there was a "reason to believe" rule to deny 601a if there were other inadmissibilities of the applicant, later this rule was cancelled to simplify the process. I don't see why they would deny 601a based on public charge (in some cases hardship is only medical or it's about relocating so they don't have evidence of using government assistance anyway).

Screenshot_20200206-213734.png

Edited by nata38

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline
5 hours ago, Tyssa said:

Does this still only apply for adjustments of status?

It seems like it applies to everyone, just the new form I-944 will be required for adjustment of status applicants🤔

Timeline
15 hours ago, Tyssa said:

Oh wow! Please post here if you see anything about how this is affecting the consular processing interviews. 

Sure, I will. I heard some people will be taking this form DS-5540 questionnaire for an interview just in case the consul will ask, now sure if it's required for everyone 🤔

ds5540(1).PDF

5 hours ago, nata38 said:

Sure, I will. I heard some people will be taking this form DS-5540 questionnaire for an interview just in case the consul will ask, now sure if it's required for everyone 🤔

ds5540(1).PDF 94.54 kB · 4 downloads

I tried to find out the instructions for this form but so far nothing.  My question is what if the beneficiary doesn't work ? Will it be ok to fill out the assests/money that they share with the spouse who is working?

Timeline
3 hours ago, Zuri Sana said:

I tried to find out the instructions for this form but so far nothing.  My question is what if the beneficiary doesn't work ? Will it be ok to fill out the assests/money that they share with the spouse who is working?

I am the beneficiary and I don't work either, I was thinking to fill out joint assets that we have on both names like bank account balance, etc; and include tax returns since they're on both names even if I don't work. 

I was checking travel.state.gov and it says "Visa applicants are not requested to take any additional steps at this time and should attend their visa interviews as scheduled.  We will inform applicants of any changes to current visa application procedures". I also read comments on FB that only if sponsor doesn't make enough money the consul might ask applicant to fill up this form at the time of interview; and other comments on FB that everyone has to fill up this form and have supporting documents to prove assets. So it's very confusing. I don't have an interview scheduled yet so hopefully by that time there will be some clarification, but most likely I will bring that form just in case..

Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.