Mapan

K 1 denied & I 601 waiver

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

Well, she lied about not being married. It’s as simple as that. Whatever visa you two apply for now, you will need a waiver. And you’ll probably need a waiver for multiple filings too. She needs to get divorced before you can try again. I think your best option is to get her divorced, final and legal and official, then go over there, get married and apply for CR1. There’s basically no K3 anymore, so you can’t apply for that. I don’t think you’ll get anywhere with K1 anymore and CR1 is gonna be the easiest route for you. I also think you’re gonna need to go through a lawyer and not do it yourselves. 

*~*~*moved from "K-1 fiancé visa process and procedures" to "waivers and administrative processing"*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

21 hours ago, Mapan said:

We have completed the visa process again and we went to the U. S. Embassy in Manila for her interview, the agent the asked for her I 601 waiver which we were not aware we needed and were not told about it. The agent told us she should have received notification that she would need the I 601 approval after the first visa was denied, she did not receive this notification nor did I.

The I-601 would be filed after being refused the visa, not beforehand.

21 hours ago, Mapan said:

1) What are the chances of getting the I - 601 approved?

2) The agent at the embassy told us it would probably be better if we just got married and then apply for the K-3 visa as she would have a better chance of getting this visa.

1. Depends on the case...there needs to be a sufficient hardship. Overcoming a willful misrepresentation bar is difficult but far from impossible. This is where I would suggest contacting a good immigration attorney experienced in waivers to present your waiver case.
  2. K-3 is obsolete...you would file for a CR-1 instead.
14 hours ago, Chris Duffy said:

I think being denied then giving the waiver now is not an option any more.  Usually they will request you send in additional proof or requested items and your interview is basically on hold until they get the desired documents.  

I suspect if you do another visa application you need to include it, I did a waiver for multiple filings and it was approved but seems minor compared to presenting documents that were forged.

The waiver is filed after the refusal of the visa. The multiple filer waiver for the I-129F petition is very different than an I-601 waiver for a visa applicant.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

2 hours ago, TNJ17 said:

Well, she lied about not being married. It’s as simple as that. Whatever visa you two apply for now, you will need a waiver. And you’ll probably need a waiver for multiple filings too.

Agree. As a Filipina myself, marriage is a very complex process in Philippines. There are lots of requirements to get a marriage license such as parent's consent if you are 18 to 21 years old. Therefore, I don't believe in the statement that "I don't know that I have been legally married all these time". The marriage related paperworks didn't mystically appeared on the NSO Office. They were filed. Both parties (husband and wife) have to signed them. I don't want to draw conclusions but to me, it seems like a fixer was used because she knew she is married and that she won't be able to get a cenomar the right way. I think it is a valid misrepresentation.  Regardless, mistakes are made and consequences are dealt. I concur on getting an immigration lawyer since overcoming a misrepresentation bar is not a DIY process. 

3 hours ago, TNJ17 said:

She needs to get divorced before you can try again. I think your best option is to get her divorced, final and legal and official, then go over there, get married and apply for CR1. 

For this part... Divorce isn't legalized in PH (in fact, only country in the world who still doesn't legalize divorce). So annulment is the more appropriate approach... which they already did. As noted by the OP, she is already annulled. 

Pinoy Ako! ^_^

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I doubt anybody believes the I did not know I was married bit.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
59 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I doubt anybody believes the I did not know I was married bit.

Did he know that she was or is married when he met his Fiancé in the Philippines? Because if he did, then he should know the consequences he is getting into. He knows that divorce is not legal in the Philippines.

Secondly, did the fiancé hid the fact to him that she was married but not sure if it's annulled when they first met? 

Third, why didn't she take care of the problem when she was 17 if there was a discrepancy in the marriage that it should be annulled. Why did the fix when she first applied for K1? 

He definitely need to consult with top rated lawyer, or else find a new fiancé 😂😂😂

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
11 hours ago, LoveTakesOver said:

He definitely need to consult with top rated lawyer, or else find a new fiancé 😂😂😂

It is ridiculous to believe her claim that she didn't know the marriage was legal. For me the lying is the biggest and reddest flag here. It's being waved on OP's face.

12 hours ago, LoveTakesOver said:

Did he know that she was or is married when he met his Fiancé in the Philippines? Because if he did, then he should know the consequences he is getting into. He knows that divorce is not legal in the Philippines.

Secondly, did the fiancé hid the fact to him that she was married but not sure if it's annulled when they first met? 

Third, why didn't she take care of the problem when she was 17 if there was a discrepancy in the marriage that it should be annulled. Why did the fix when she first applied for K1? 

He already admitted that she is NOW annulled after trying the K1 process originally.

Timeline
On 3/1/2018 at 4:43 PM, Boiler said:

Not sure why you did not have the waiver ready to go after the interview.

I wasn't aware that I needed the waiver as I was never told we needed to file for one after the first denial.

Timeline

I'm quite amazed that with everything that has happened and coming here for some advice, I get to read all of the comments people think they have to make beyond any advice given. As if we aren't hurting enough already, all of the "special comments"  added don't help, didn't care for all the extra comments 4 years ago and didn't come back for advice, this is her account. She made her mistakes in her younger years and now is suffering the consequences and she is well aware that there may never be a path for her to America because of it. I'm sure we've all made our share of mistakes in life and been given another chance, I'm willing to do the same for her.

The annulment was completed in January of 2016 as we knew there is no divorce in the Philippines, we waited to make sure it was registered with the PSA/NSO before we applied again, not knowing we needed the waiver. I plan on filing the waiver and talking to an immigration lawyer when i get back to the states.

For those of you who offered advice, we greatly appreciate it and hope we can get the issues resolved, one way or the other.

For those of you that are here looking for advice on your visa issues, we wish you the best of luck and hope it all works out for you.

John & Marie

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
On 01/03/2018 at 8:32 PM, Mapan said:

I'm not moving to the Philippines, so that option is out.

So, what are you going to do if she can't get a waiver?

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

• 1 year later...
On 3/4/2018 at 10:27 AM, Mapan said:

At this point,  I have no idea.

I know it has been a while since your last post, but I was wondering if you were ever issued a visa?

Jun 10, 2019 First Interview at US Embassy Manila, 07:40 AM resulted to refusal pending:

1. I-601 Waiver for Inadmissibility
2. 221G Document on Advisory on Marriage (send with Passport)
Jun 19, 2019 Sent 221G Document on Advisory on Marriage (send with Passport)
Jun 20, 2019 Courier delivery of 221G Document on Advisory on Marriage and Passport
Jun 21, 2019 Sent I-601 Waiver package to USCIS Nebraska Service Center
Jun 23, 2019 Courier confirmed delivery of I-601 Waiver
Jun 24, 2019 USCIS receipt of I-601 Waiver
Jun 25, 2019 US Embassy Manila receipt of 221G Document on Advisory on Marriage and Passport
Jul 3, 2019 Filed for USCIS expedite processing of I-601 Waiver
Jul 15, 2019 USCIS denied request for expedite of I-601 Waiver
Jul 25, 2019 Filed for NEW request for USCIS expedite processing of I-601 Waiver
Aug 9, 2019 USCIS approval of I-601 Waiver of Inadmissibility
Aug 9, 2019 US Embassy Manila receipt of notification from USCIS of Approved I-601 Waiver
Aug 14, 2019 CEAC status is Administrative Processing
Aug 19, 31, 2019 CEAC "Case Last Updated Date" change but status is the same
Sep 3, 4, 6, 11, 2019 CEAC "Case Last Updated Date" change but status is the same
Sep 12, 2019 Reached out to Cong. Napolitano
Sep 13, 2019 CEAC "Case Last Updated Date" change but status is the same
Sep 14, 2019 Received letter dated Sep 10. Your visa application is refused for Administrative Processing. You will be informed when processing is complete.
Sep 16, 2019 CEAC "Case Last Updated Date" change but status is the same
Sep 17, 2019 Cong. Napolitano forwarded response by Embassy dated Sep 16, XXXXX case is pending the completion of administrative processing in order to verify her qualifications for this visa.

Sep 17 & 30, 2019 CEAC "Case Last Updated Date" change but status is the same

Oct 7 & 8, 2019 CEAC "Case Last Updated Date" change but status is the same

Oct 11,17, 22, 2019 CEAC "Case Last Updated Date" change but status is the same

Oct 29, 2019 CEAC "Case Last Updated Date" change but status is the same

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Zombie thread locked to further to replies. Please do not hijack any other threads for your own questions.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.