asaeljethro

Apply for AOS or change name on social security card first?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hey guys!

My fiancé got here in end of November of 2017. A couple weeks later we applied for her social security. Then we got married. 

When we recieced her social security card, it said “valid for work only with DHS authorization”

we barely got our marriage certificate last week. (Took two months -_-) then today we went to social security to have her named changed with my last name but the lady asked us where her EAS card is, and said we should have recieved it in the mail and that we cannot change my wife’s last name on her social security card until they have that card. She said it is the I-765. 

From my research on this forum, what ppl recommended doing was:

after fiance arrives in the US

1 obtain social security 

2 get married

3 wait for marriage license 

4 change name on social security 

5 apply for AOS

or do I have this completely wrong? Or is the person at social security wrong? Or do we just go ahead and apply for her AOS along with Employment Authorization and advance parole prior to changing her name on her social security card?

thanks in advance!

K-1 Visa Timeline @ California Service Center  

03/19/17: Proposed @ Philippines  

03/28/17: Mailed I-129F Application via USPS Priority Mail to Texas Lockbox

04/03/17: Application was received

04/06/17: NOA1 Issued | Check cashed date

04/14/17: NOA1 Hardcopy Received

08/04/17: NOA2 (126 days from NOA1)

08/10/17: NOA2 Hardcopy Received

08/17/17: NVC Received Case

08/18/17: MNL Case # Assigned

09/05-06/17: St Lukes Medical

09/12/17: US Embassy Interview

09/18/17: Received Passport with Visa

XX/XX/17: CFO Seminar

11/26/17: POE

12/16/17: Married in Los Angeles

----------------------------------------------------------

AOS Timeline

05/12/18: Mailed AOS, AP, EAD via USPS Priority Mail to Chicago PO Box  

05/20/18: NOA1 Text Message

05/25/18: Received NOA1 Letters

06/02/18: Received Biometrics Appointment Letter

06/02/18: Received RFE #1

06/13/18: Biometrics Appointment @ Los Angeles 

07/11/18: Called to Expedite EAD due to financial loss

07/24/18: Received EAD Expedite Letter with it dated on 07/14/18

08/01/18: Successfully faxed EAD Expedite Documents to Fax # (Tried faxing for 5 days)

08/10/18: Replied and mailed RFE #1

08/14/18: Mailed letter to Senator Dianne Feinstein regarding Expedited EAD

10/22/18: Received EAD/AP Combo Card

07/17/19: Received Text Message that case was scheduled for interview

07/21/19: Received Letter for Appointment Date/Time

08/21/19: Interview @ SLC USCIS and approved. Later that night, received notification that card is being produced.

08/22/19: Received email that card is being mailed.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
9 minutes ago, asaeljethro said:

Hey guys!

My fiancé got here in end of November of 2017. A couple weeks later we applied for her social security. Then we got married. 

When we recieced her social security card, it said “valid for work only with DHS authorization”

we barely got our marriage certificate last week. (Took two months -_-) then today we went to social security to have her named changed with my last name but the lady asked us where her EAS card is, and said we should have recieved it in the mail and that we cannot change my wife’s last name on her social security card until they have that card. She said it is the I-765. 

From my research on this forum, what ppl recommended doing was:

after fiance arrives in the US

1 obtain social security 

2 get married

3 wait for marriage license 

4 change name on social security 

5 apply for AOS

or do I have this completely wrong? Or is the person at social security wrong? Or do we just go ahead and apply for her AOS along with Employment Authorization and advance parole prior to changing her name on her social security card?

thanks in advance!

there might have been a misunderstanding, normally when you change the SS card she might have been under the impression you were attempting to removed the Valid for work only information off as well, that can not be done until the AOS is in process. and EAD, she should be able to change the name with the marriage certificate proving the name change.

1 minute ago, Khallaf said:

there might have been a misunderstanding, normally when you change the SS card she might have been under the impression you were attempting to removed the Valid for work only information off as well, that can not be done until the AOS is in process. and EAD, she should be able to change the name with the marriage certificate proving the name change.

I concur with this as well. We got my wife's name changed in the system before we even did the AOS.

The lady at my SS office also refused to change my name on my SS card. She said I needed an official document from USCIS, like my EAD. Our marriage certificate wasn't enough. She may have been misinformed, so maybe I should have asked to talk to someone else there. But at that time I believed her (I was still naive, thinking that all these people working for SS offices, USCIS, etc knew what they were talking about...).

So I filed my AOS, EAD and AP in my married name, and wrote my maiden name under "previous names used". When I got my EAD, I went back to my SS office to have the name on my SS card changed, which was very easy.

Make sure you change the name on the SS card as soon as you get the EAD. I was at Human Resources to sign the paperwork for my new job the day after my EAD had arrived, so I hadn't had time to get the name on my SS card changed. This created a problem with e-verify, because the names on my EAD and SSC didn't match. When that happens, they give you 8 days to solve the issue, which is easily done by one visit to the SS office. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline

I was also refused to change my name until I had an EAD. I explained it was just my name, but she said she needed an official document (as Marieke said). I looked it up, and it was indeed the case I could not  do it unless I had my EAD. I'in Georgia, not sure if that matters.

Timeline

3 hours ago, Khallaf said:

My wife and I were really specific to the lady and just told her we just wanted to change her last name and to not remove the "valid for work only"

3 hours ago, cyberfx1024 said:

I concur with this as well. We got my wife's name changed in the system before we even did the AOS.

Interesting...I guess it depends on the worker?

2 hours ago, MariekeH said:

The lady at my SS office also refused to change my name on my SS card. She said I needed an official document from USCIS, like my EAD. Our marriage certificate wasn't enough. She may have been misinformed, so maybe I should have asked to talk to someone else there. But at that time I believed her (I was still naive, thinking that all these people working for SS offices, USCIS, etc knew what they were talking about...).

So I filed my AOS, EAD and AP in my married name, and wrote my maiden name under "previous names used". When I got my EAD, I went back to my SS office to have the name on my SS card changed, which was very easy.

Make sure you change the name on the SS card as soon as you get the EAD. I was at Human Resources to sign the paperwork for my new job the day after my EAD had arrived, so I hadn't had time to get the name on my SS card changed. This created a problem with e-verify, because the names on my EAD and SSC didn't match. When that happens, they give you 8 days to solve the issue, which is easily done by one visit to the SS office. 

Gotcha. So basically when we fill out the AOS application, I'll have my wife use her name last name on the applications correct? We will probably go with the same route and what you did and start to fill out the applications. 

1 hour ago, moosy said:

I was also refused to change my name until I had an EAD. I explained it was just my name, but she said she needed an official document (as Marieke said). I looked it up, and it was indeed the case I could not  do it unless I had my EAD. I'in Georgia, not sure if that matters.

Did you also do what the above poster did? Apply for AOS and then once you received your EAD you went to SSA to change your name?

AOS Timeline

08/01/18: Successfully faxed EAD Expedite Documents to Fax # (Tried faxing for 5 days)

08/21/19: Interview @ SLC USCIS and approved. Later that night, received notification that card is being produced.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Talako said:

We had the same issue.  SS refused to change her name until we could show them the EAD

The AOS and EAD were filed under her married name.

We honestly did not even start to fill out AOS applications yet...btw did you guys only pay for one fee? which is the AOS +Biometrics fee? I've heard that the AP and EAD fees are waived when you apply for AOS

AOS Timeline

Here in NJ we changed her name on her SS card before we filed AOS, we actually used the letter in my wifes name to show proof of residence from Social Security. All we needed was our marriage certificate to do it. 

K1 visa adventure 

02/20/2017- I-129F packet send to Dallas

02/22/2017- I-129F packet delivered

02/28/2017-- check cashed

03/01/2017-- NOA1 text and email received transferred to (CSC)

03/06/2017-- NOA1 hard copy received in the mail.

05/23/2017 -- Notified RFE

06/16/2017 -- Replied RFE

06/19/2017 -- CSC Received reply

06/26/2017-- Approved 

06/30/2017-- received NOA2

07/10/2017-- NVC Recived case

07/11/2017-- Case number assigned

08/14/2017-- Interview ( APPROVED )

AOS

11/29/17- Packet sent to Chicago lockbox ( I-485, I-765, I-131 included)

12/1/2017- recieved packet

12/6/2017 NOA1 text and email recieved

12/8/2017 NOA1 Hard copy recieved

12/26/2017 Biometrics done

03/31/2018 RFE - I-131

04/19/2018 Approved I-765, I-131 ( EAD & AP )

04/26/2018 Received combo card in mail

12/06/2018 Interview done - no decision

12/27/2018  APPROVED - card being produced

Hi! I was able to change me last name after we got the marriage certificate.. The lady from Social Security needed original marriage cert to check and I filled out a form stating that I want my last name change.. this is before we filed the AOS.. 

- K1 Visa Timeline -                                                                            - AOS Timeline -

August 25, 2015 - i-129F filed via USPS!                                                                        March 22, 2016 - SSN Application (bring passport and i-94 prinout)

August 27, 2015 - NOA1                                                                                                 March 28, 2016 - SSN Card Received

August 31, 2015 - NOA1 Hardcopy Received                                                                   March 28, 2016 - CIVIL Wedding Ceremony!

September 23, 2015 - RFE Received                                                                              April 12, 2016 - Certified Copy of Marriage Certificate received!

September 27, 2015 - RFE Sent to CSC                                                                         April 18, 2016 - Filed AOS via USPS

October 7, 2015 - NOA2 / our case was approved!!                                                        April 20, 2016 - AOS Delivered!

October 10,2015 - NOA2 Hardcopy Received                                                                 April 26, 2016 - went back to SSA to have my card name changed!

November 12, 2015 - received NVC email that case ready for interview                         April 29, 2016 - received 3 NOAs i-485/i-765/i-131 from the mail! (April 25, 2016 Notice Date)

December 8, 2015 - SLEC Medical but failed on CXR had to do sputum tests!                May 14, 2016 - received mail for Biometrics Appointment Letter (dated May 26, 2016)

December 14,15,16 2015 - went back to SLEC for Sputum Tests!                                   May 26, 2016 - Biometrics done!

December 18, 2015 - Initial sputum tests done! Results are negative                             June 3, 2016 - per case status online i-485 "Ready to schedule for interview"

February 10, 2016 - received email from SLEC sputum tests negative                           July 5, 2016 - 1st SR for EAD (75th day from the received date)

February 17, 2016 - SLEC medical done!!!                                                                       July 16, 2016 - recieved an email EAD case is under review

February 23, 2016 - USEM interview approved! The CO has only 3 questions! LOL        July 22, 2016 - 2nd SR for EAD (92nd day from the received date)

March 4, 2016 - K1 visa packet received!!                                                                      August 2, 2016 - EAD status changed to New Card is being produced

March 8, 2016 - CFO seminar done                                                                               August 3, 2016 - EAD/AP status changed to CASE was APPROVED!

March 19, 2016 - arrived at my POE Los Angeles                                                          August 9, 2016 - EAD/AP combo card received!

September 28, 2016 – Case status changed to “Schedule for interview”

October 28, 2016 – Interview day!
                                                                                                                                     November 2, 2016 – received RFE (IO wants all pages of Form I-693 to be filled out by CS)
                                                                                                                                      November 12, 2016 – RFE response sent!
                                                                                                                                      November 22, 2016 – AOS APPROVED!!

December 2, 2016 – 2 year conditional green card received!

God is Good, All the Time.. :goofy: :rolleyes:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

We married, and a week later went to SS office and applied for my wife's SSN with new name, no problem.  They just looked up I-94, and reviewed the copy of our marriage certificate, and done.

I had read that some people had problems getting SSN first, marrying, and then trying to change the name...so we married first and applied for SSN with new name.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
43 minutes ago, tanderson64 said:

We married, and a week later went to SS office and applied for my wife's SSN with new name, no problem.  They just looked up I-94, and reviewed the copy of our marriage certificate, and done.

I had read that some people had problems getting SSN first, marrying, and then trying to change the name...so we married first and applied for SSN with new name.

We the same way ) ...got License, then  we got married, got Marriage Certificate, ( we got 2 Marriage Certificates for any case))....applied for SSN with new name, applied for AOS+AP...we think, there is no reason to get SSN before marriage,   to exchange it then , 1-2 month later

Darrel and Tatiana
            2017 year
29th March          I-129f Sent
6th April                NOA1 Received date
11th April              NOA1 Notice date
14th April              NOA1 Hardcopy
22nd August        NOA2 Approval date
5th September     NVC Received, NVC case#
8th September     Left NVC
11th September   Case Ready
28th September   Medical exam
5th October           Interview
25th October         POE date 
22 December        Wedding Day

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
26 minutes ago, Tanya@D Starcher said:

We the same way ) ...got License, then  we got married, got Marriage Certificate, ( we got 2 Marriage Certificates for any case))....applied for SSN with new name, applied for AOS+AP...we think, there is no reason to get SSN before marriage,   to exchange it then , 1-2 month later

I see you got married - congrats!  I have not seen your status for a long time.  We were married on 23 Jan, 2018.

Timeline
12 minutes ago, tanderson64 said:

I see you got married - congrats!  I have not seen your status for a long time.  We were married on 23 Jan, 2018.

We after New Year too. )) ...we had an appointment before, but all was closed because of  unusual cold weather ) ...snow and ice in December for the first time  in 25 years in Georgia... but now 80 )))

Darrel and Tatiana
            2017 year

Timeline
30 minutes ago, tanderson64 said:

Thank you !!! Congrats to you too !

Darrel and Tatiana
            2017 year

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.