Mara0899

Tax return

53 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline
3 hours ago, Bzlibem said:

You for sure will need to get her passport or a certified copy of it ( I know that embassies do it for like $50) or maybe there’s a way she get it directly in her country

another way to do it is she mails you her passport and you mail the original to the irs. People do that if they live far away from IRS or whatever. But it’s risky and probably unwise. 

I also remember that you could give them something else instead of passport if your passport was expired, I think it was a foreign drivers license with translation, and a birth certificate with translation. But I’m not sure how it would work out in your situation when her passport is valid but you just simply don’t have it. 

I have his birth certificate with a translated copy I hope that works I’m not comfortable sending it in and I think I’m going to do it your way you did it last year...... Thank you so much!!!!! You are a life saver

17 hours ago, Mara0899 said:

Hello guys, my USC wife is gonna make tax return to petition sponsoring me as spouse. Does she need to declare as married or single ? and what they will need document from me if she declared as married? Thank you. 

If you don't have a ITIN or SSN 

Just file as married (seperately) or head of household( if applicable). 

And write in NRA(Nonresident alien) for the SSN/ITIN section. 

Writing in NRA will not let you file electronically. 

Note.. as always.. make sure you talk to a tax profession preferably one that is qualified to accept ITIN applications. 

Edited by Keith & Arileidi

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Keith & Arileidi said:

If you don't have a ITIN or SSN 

Just file as married (seperately) or head of household( if applicable). 

And write in NRA(Nonresident alien) for the SSN/ITIN section. 

Writing in NRA will not let you file electronically. 

Note.. as always.. make sure you talk to a tax profession preferably one that is qualified to accept ITIN applications. 

Updated 18 October 2017

IRS processes returns showing SSNs or ITINs in the blanks where tax forms request SSNs. IRS no longer accepts, and will not process, forms showing "SSA", 205c", "applied for", "NRA",& blanks, etc.

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

@payxibka 

@geowrian

@j&ana

PlEASE HELP!!

My Wife just filed her taxes as single :( While we have to send that tax papers to US embassy because they demand This year tax return.to issue IR1 visa.

Is there any problem that we have to face regarding this???

Timeline
Just now, Mano said:

@payxibka 

@geowrian

@j&ana

PlEASE HELP!!

My Wife just filed her taxes as single :( While we have to send that tax papers to US embassy because they demand This year tax return.to issue IR1 visa.

Is there any problem that we have to face regarding this???

She needs to amend to the correct filing status...  Why would anyone file as a single person when they are married I just don't understand sometimes

YMMV

Timeline
2 minutes ago, payxibka said:

She needs to amend to the correct filing status...  Why would anyone file as a single person when they are married I just don't understand sometimes

Thank u so much for ut reply. Please can u tell me US embassy will not accept it as single??

Timeline
1 minute ago, Mano said:

Thank u so much for ut reply. Please can u tell me US embassy will not accept it as single??

Affidavit of Support goes to NVC for review. Can't tell you how they will react.  They may or may not notice, they may or may not care

YMMV

Timeline
1 minute ago, payxibka said:

Affidavit of Support goes to NVC for review. Can't tell you how they will react.  They may or may not notice, they may or may not care

its not for NVC. Actually at NVC we submited same as single filling but at US embassy CO asked for a new joint sponsor. This year her income is sufficient so we decide to submit new AOS with this year tax returns :( 

I concur that amending the taxes should be done. If you can't wait for the updated tax transcript to appear, you can provide the amended return information (and potentially the original one as well, although I'm not sure if it's necessary or if it will just present more questions).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
3 minutes ago, geowrian said:

I concur that amending the taxes should be done. If you can't wait for the updated tax transcript to appear, you can provide the amended return information (and potentially the original one as well, although I'm not sure if it's necessary or if it will just present more questions).

thanks

18 hours ago, payxibka said:

Updated 18 October 2017

IRS processes returns showing SSNs or ITINs in the blanks where tax forms request SSNs. IRS no longer accepts, and will not process, forms showing "SSA", 205c", "applied for", "NRA",& blanks, etc.

Alright thank you for the update. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline
On 2/11/2018 at 3:53 AM, payxibka said:

Updated 18 October 2017

if my wife will file jointly, and i will get my passport to be certified then just scan and send to her or will mail from my country to her ? 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline
On 2/10/2018 at 10:52 PM, Bzlibem said:

You for sure need her passport, or at least get a certified copy of it from an embassy (that way you can just mail it in to the irs without the IRS appointment) , and of course her signature on the ITIN form 

Otherwise, she would have to come with you to the IRS appointment do that the agent can approve the ITIN  and tax form and you don’t have to mail anything in 

and on the top of that you will need a marriage certificate if there was a name change 

my wife USC and I'm still in my country. how can i sign on ITIN, can she sign instead of me ?

Edited by Mara0899

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.