BrokenWings

Lawyer's feedback and Help please

13 posts in this topic

Hello, my conditional card is expiring 09/2018. My divorced got final 10/2017. Today I went to lawyer's office to open contract for I-751 filing. During that time I informed him that my ex-wife complained/wrote to USCIS about cancellation of her petition (after divorce). I am informed that she bashed me in her writing there and also wrote enough true and lies to unhook her Affidavit of Support. My marriage was fine; we loved each other till we fell a part. Some stinky things happened from her side which made us unable to continue the relation (regarding fidelity). 

Anyway, when I told the lawyer about her writing then he told me that my chances for getting approved is very low since she wrote to USCIS and also mentioned now it is 10 times harder to get approved because of her complain. Also he said: He will charge me double because filing for me will cost him extra time. He also said: If I file by myself my chances are 10% only. He mentioned: "You were staying here because of your ex-wife; if you are divorced then you have no right to stay; immigration will ask you to go back home."

To be honest, I am very frustrated now. I have all the evidences of my bonafide marriages. Plus the most important thing-- I loved her truly and I do still. Whatever happened those were not expected from a loyal wife. And also I could not support whatever had been going on between us. Long story short-- We were divorced after 23 months of marriage life; she ended up being aggressive and hostile-- she tried to withdraw her sponsorship and wrote whatever she could. 

What you guys advice? Can I try by myself? or Hire lawyer? Or just for her writing -- I am done with Condition removal? 

I opened my business here; started new life after lots of depression, started school again-- I can move out from USA but I will make financial loss, academic loss and most importantly-- in my country it will be seriously difficult for me to get a good Job at my age (I am 31) coz I have to start from fresh as not experienced! If any of you can advice me properly I will be blessed. Thanks in advance 

I lot of people are able to do it with the divorce waiver and with no lawyer. There have been cases in which ex-spouses call USCIS but USCIS doesn't pay attention to whatever they say because obviously they are angry and it is hard to know if it is true/not true. 

What is weird is that you say:

13 minutes ago, BrokenWings said:

wrote enough true and lies to unhook her Affidavit of Support. 

I have never seen this before and I thought that was not possible. Are you sure they did that? 

Just now, Coco8 said:

I lot of people are able to do it with the divorce waiver and with no lawyer. There have been cases in which ex-spouses call USCIS but USCIS doesn't pay attention to whatever they say because obviously they are angry and it is hard to know if it is true/not true. 

What is weird is that you say:

I have never seen this before and I thought that was not possible. Are you sure they did that? 

She could not and they did not withdraw her petition. Then she ended up saying wrong and lies about me so that I get deported and she can unhook herself from Affidavit of Support. She is scared of thinking if anytime I become financial burden for her. To be honest-- When love ends anything becomes easy to do even not right. Anyway--- 

1 hour ago, BrokenWings said:

She could not and they did not withdraw her petition. Then she ended up saying wrong and lies about me so that I get deported and she can unhook herself from Affidavit of Support. She is scared of thinking if anytime I become financial burden for her. To be honest-- When love ends anything becomes easy to do even not right. Anyway--- 

Well, but then they didn't withdrew the affidavit. They won't do that without any evidence (e.g. you were already married) that would get you deported anyway.

Hopefully other people will provide advice, but I'd go ahead and do it without the lawyer. The lawyer's excuse for changing you double makes no sense. It is the exact same procedure for him. How did you find out that your wife lied? Did she tell you? Do you have evidence of her saying she lied? Or did the lawyer tell you?

12 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

Well, but then they didn't withdrew the affidavit. They won't do that without any evidence (e.g. you were already married) that would get you deported anyway.

Hopefully other people will provide advice, but I'd go ahead and do it without the lawyer. The lawyer's excuse for changing you double makes no sense. It is the exact same procedure for him. How did you find out that your wife lied? Did she tell you? Do you have evidence of her saying she lied? Or did the lawyer tell you?

she asked our neighbor to help her with affidavit in her favor-- regarding my extreme financial hardship. that neighbor told me 1st time that my ex wife was thinking to stop my immigration process.
the worst part is: I came to know directly from her when i was chatting with her as a different person with a fake snap chat account. i did not have wrong intention; i did that just to discover why she stepped out from marriage in that manner. there she told me that she wrote immigration 8-9 pages letter to stop my immigration and to cancel all her sponsorships. through that chat i discovered: She hooked up with her colleague from work in April 2017 where we got divorced in October 2017; that proves her infidelity. Also she mentioned that she was scared of me if anytime i become any financial burden for her. Thats how I came to know most of the things which she did on my back. What I can do? I told lawyer: I loved my ex-wife, and my marriage was 100% bonafide from my side. He said: It does not matter! The lawyer told me: even though i have enough evidences of good faith marriage my chances are low because she filed complains against me! I am just speechless. 

Just now, Lemonslice said:

Consult with another lawyer

i will. i was thinking to file by myself; but my lawyer said: my chances are 10% if i file by myself. if i hire lawyer then 50-50. i know about my relation; if she did something ill-intendedly then why i should suffer? anyway--- i dont mind to leave usa; i just dont want to beg. that lawyer literally made me feel: i will be blessed with GC if i get approved. that made me feel very bad. 

Filed: Other Timeline
1 hour ago, BrokenWings said:

The lawyer told me: even though i have enough evidences of good faith marriage my chances are low because she filed complains against me! I am just speechless. 

You need a new lawyer ASAP.  First, he's manipulating you by telling you how low your chances are but that with a lawyer it's 50/50, that's a load of BS.  Second, he is using your own words/situation against you, to make you afraid that you have no chance because she filed complaints about you, again in order to get you to hire him.  Do you know how many complaints/false accusations they receive from broken up relationships that have ended badly?  Just on this forum alone you can find threads by petitioners asking how to get their ex deported, being petty, vengeful and so on, USCIS knows this and they are not going to base their decision solely on the complaints of one of the spouses.  Will they consider it? Maybe, but that's where your evidence of a good faith marriage comes in.  Find another lawyer or file yourself, but do not go back to this guy and his fear mongering tactics.  

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 2/8/2018 at 8:28 PM, BrokenWings said:

Hello, my conditional card is expiring 09/2018. My divorced got final 10/2017. Today I went to lawyer's office to open contract for I-751 filing. During that time I informed him that my ex-wife complained/wrote to USCIS about cancellation of her petition (after divorce). I am informed that she bashed me in her writing there and also wrote enough true and lies to unhook her Affidavit of Support. My marriage was fine; we loved each other till we fell a part. Some stinky things happened from her side which made us unable to continue the relation (regarding fidelity). 

Anyway, when I told the lawyer about her writing then he told me that my chances for getting approved is very low since she wrote to USCIS and also mentioned now it is 10 times harder to get approved because of her complain. Also he said: He will charge me double because filing for me will cost him extra time. He also said: If I file by myself my chances are 10% only. He mentioned: "You were staying here because of your ex-wife; if you are divorced then you have no right to stay; immigration will ask you to go back home."

To be honest, I am very frustrated now. I have all the evidences of my bonafide marriages. Plus the most important thing-- I loved her truly and I do still. Whatever happened those were not expected from a loyal wife. And also I could not support whatever had been going on between us. Long story short-- We were divorced after 23 months of marriage life; she ended up being aggressive and hostile-- she tried to withdraw her sponsorship and wrote whatever she could. 

What you guys advice? Can I try by myself? or Hire lawyer? Or just for her writing -- I am done with Condition removal? 

I opened my business here; started new life after lots of depression, started school again-- I can move out from USA but I will make financial loss, academic loss and most importantly-- in my country it will be seriously difficult for me to get a good Job at my age (I am 31) coz I have to start from fresh as not experienced! If any of you can advice me properly I will be blessed. Thanks in advance 

I am not convinced the person you  met is an attorney ,if she is an attorney she must read about Immigration  law because  clearly  she has no clue about it.

You can’t cancel a petition after the person comes on the visa, you can’t ‘unhook’ the affidavit of support unless the person works more than 40 quarters, leaves the us permanently, or dies. 

Your exwife can moan at USCIS all she wants but unless she has concrete evidence you only used her for immigration they won’t even investigate it and even then it probably won’t go anywhere.

Your ‘lawyer’ looked at your fear and vulnerability and saw dollar signs. The language filters prevent me from using the correct words to describe them. 

K-1 Met:2002 Dating :2003 I-129F Sent : 2013-06-01 I-129F NOA2 : 2013-08-20 Medical: 2013-12-20 Interview Date : 2014-01-22 POE: 2014-02-19 Wedding: 2014-03-18

AOS/EAD Date Filed : 2014-04-04 BioAppt: 2014-05-13 EAD in Production: 2014-07-08 Interview date: 2014-07-14 Green Card received: 2014-07-19

ROC Date Filed: 2016-04-26 Cheque Cashed: 2016-05-10 NOA1: 2016-04-28 Biometrics: 2016-06-30 Approved: 11-08-2016 Green Card Received: 11-18-2016

Citizenship Date Filed: 2017-04-18 Cheque Cashed: 2017-04-24- NOA1:2017-04-21  Biometrics: 2017-05-19 Inline: 2017-07-12 Interview Date: 2018-02-13 Oath: 2018-03-15

Filed: Other Timeline

First, not as a lawyer, but as a man to another man, I suggest you don't badmouth your ex-wife. That's not gentleman-like and won't earn you any points for anything from anyone. Sometimes marriages just don't work out, plain and simple.

Now to your post. The attorney you consulted is trying to make money off you. It's how he pays his bills. Truth is, the fact that your ex-wife contacted the USCIS is pretty irrelevant, if you can show that your marriage was bona fide. What documents you need for this (the three pillars of RoC) is not part of this advice here an now. You should be able to pull this off yourself without the help of an attorney. We can help you here, free of charge.

Edited by Brother Hesekiel

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
On 2/12/2018 at 7:45 AM, sandranj said:

I am not convinced the person you  met is an attorney ,if she is an attorney she must read about Immigration  law because  clearly  she has no clue about it.

Maybe a Notario?

Most people I have come across DIY

Obviously we see a lot of disappointed ex or soon to be ex spouses who want to get out of the I 864 and have their spouses deported, it is extremely unusual. Only time that comes to mind started with an annulment.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 hours ago, Brother Hesekiel said:

First, not as a lawyer, but as a man to another man, I suggest you don't badmouth your ex-wife. That's not gentleman-like and won't earn you any points for anything from anyone. Sometimes marriages just don't work out, plain and simple.

Now to your post. The attorney you consulted is trying to make money off you. It's how he pays his bills. Truth is, the fact that your ex-wife contacted the USCIS is pretty irrelevant, if you can show that your marriage was bona fide. What documents you need for this (the three pillars of RoC) is not part of this advice here an now. You should be able to pull this off yourself without the help of an attorney. We can help you here, free of charge.

I did not say anything bad about her-- I simply said whatever she did. Do you see you tend to soft to her side? Same thing I faced when we went through all hassles-- People did trust her more than me; People tend to be soft to her more than me. I am just saying my feelings; No offense. 

Regarding lawyer-- Yes; I hired a lawyer just to get the burden down from me. Due to excessive academic pressure, I am always under stress.

I am prepared to leave USA if I can't remove condition; I have nothing to lose. I already lost my beloved wife; the rest all academic and financial losses are simply nothing comparing the loss I had from losing her. I really don't know much what she wrote; but if her writing make my residency questionable I want to leave simply. Hope she can feel better in that way. By that time my education here will be completed. Yes; I will face a lot hardship after going back to my country but what I can do? It has been unfortunate; I have to accept it. Thanks Hesekiel 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.