Aping27

Im on K1 visa. Need advise what to do when arriving in the US

13 posts in this topic

Get your sun first (wait about a week before going for it. Give time for databases to update) then get I'd then get married.

Service Center : California Service Center on 2014-03-17Consulate : London, United KingdomI-129F Sent : 2014-03-10I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-14I-129F NOA2 : 2014-04-07NVC Received :4/21/2014NVC Left :4/23/2014Consulate Received :2014-04-29Packet 3 Received :2014-05-01Packet 3 Sent :2014-05-01Medical Complete: 2014-05-07Packet 4 Received :2014-5-31Interview Date :2014-06-06Visa Issued: 2014-06-10Visa Package Received: 2014-06-13Arrival at POE Seattle: 2014-6-13

Married 07/07/2014

AOS Timeline
AOS package mailed 08/08/2014 (Chicago Lockbox)
NOA date 8/13/2014
Biometrics done 09/14/2014
INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 10/31/2014
Approval e-mail 10/31/2014
Card production e-mail 12/27/2011
GREEN CARD ARRIVED 11/08/201

Employment Authorization Document
CIS Office : Chicago National Office
Filing Method : Mail
Filing Instance : First
Date Filed : 2014-08-04
NOA Date : 2014-08-13
RFE(s) :
Bio. Appt. : 2014-09-04
Approved Date : 2014-09-25
Date Card Received : 2014-10-03

ADVANCED Parole
CIS Office : Chicago National Office
Filing Method : Mail
Filing Instance :First
Date Filed : 2014-08-04
NOA Date : 2014-08-13
RFE(s) :
Date Received : 2014-10-03

ROC Timeline
ROC package mailed to CSC 10/13/2016
NOA1 date 10/17/2016
Biometrics date 12/8/2016

Interview: None
Card production ordered: 03/27/2018
10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED

I'd get married first and then get your new documents in your married name. Saves you time if you don't want them all in your maiden name. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

2 hours ago, Aping27 said:

Hi Guys, 

I am arriving in the US via K1 visa. 

I am just confused what to do first. 

To get ssn, state id then get married or marry first before getting ssn and state id?

please I need advise. Thank you. 

We went 4th day after arrival in USA, due to jet lag.

Get your SSN first, it will be the same number used once you get married as well and do the name change.

The biggest benefit for getting a SSN first is many documents ask for a SSN in USA. Whether applying for NCLEX exam or opening a bank account or trying to get Driver Licenses or ID from your state.

If you wait till your married to get SSN,  it will be many months like maybe 6 or more months since your K1 visa is in your maiden name, and SSN office which uses the SAVE System from USCIS to check document, they would wait till you had greencard in hand which is taking forever and a day now.

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

1 hour ago, Chris Duffy said:

We went 4th day after arrival in USA, due to jet lag.

Get your SSN first, it will be the same number used once you get married as well and do the name change.

The biggest benefit for getting a SSN first is many documents ask for a SSN in USA. Whether applying for NCLEX exam or opening a bank account or trying to get Driver Licenses or ID from your state.

If you wait till your married to get SSN,  it will be many months like maybe 6 or more months since your K1 visa is in your maiden name, and SSN office which uses the SAVE System from USCIS to check document, they would wait till you had greencard in hand which is taking forever and a day now.

Hi Chris! Would this also mean if I have ssn I can already apply for a state id and drivers license even without the green card yet? 

20 minutes ago, Aping26 said:

Hi Chris! Would this also mean if I have ssn I can already apply for a state id and drivers license even without the green card yet? 

Yes.

But remember the USA has 50 states, and each state has their own rules.  In Texas my wife got a Texas State ID when she first arrived it had like a 60 day expiration date due the Texas Department of Transportation only making it valid for 90 days since that was the expiration date on her K1 entry.

That State ID was valuable for her while waiting to get her Greencard.  I also got her a Texas Fishing licenses with that state ID and we used the fishing license as a secondary ID

Just now, Aping26 said:

I forgot my password then I havw to use my facebook account to log in. :) 

You will want to report it to a mod and read the TOS. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

7 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

Yes.

But remember the USA has 50 states, and each state has their own rules.  In Texas my wife got a Texas State ID when she first arrived it had like a 60 day expiration date due the Texas Department of Transportation only making it valid for 90 days since that was the expiration date on her K1 entry.

That State ID was valuable for her while waiting to get her Greencard.  I also got her a Texas Fishing licenses with that state ID and we used the fishing license as a secondary ID

So in my case. Since im going to live in california, after I got my ssn a week after my arrival, would that mean I can get the state id and driver’s license yeah? 

My fiance was kinda confused and doesnt know what to do so were trying to get info. 

Thanks Chris! 

Just now, Aping26 said:

So in my case. Since im going to live in california, after I got my ssn a week after my arrival, would that mean I can get the state id and driver’s license yeah? 

My fiance was kinda confused and doesnt know what to do so were trying to get info. 

Thanks Chris! 

You would have to look up the rules for California.

Search California Department of Motor Vehicles and see what there rules are.

Why not just get a Philiippines Driver Licenses and use that here as ID, My wife who didn't know how to drive was able to obtain one before coming to USA.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 hours ago, Aping27 said:

Hi Guys, 

I am arriving in the US via K1 visa. 

I am just confused what to do first. 

To get ssn, state id then get married or marry first before getting ssn and state id?

please I need advise. Thank you. 

You must be married within 90 days.  Doubt you can get state ID without either the EAD or green card so no rush on that, even if you do manage to get an ID it will expire within 90 days.  SS card you can get fairly quick, as noted by others wait about a week after arrival before heading over to SSA.   

Relax, get married within the 90 days, file AOS (I-485, in your MARRIED name, also submit the I-131 & I-765 both free to file with the I-485) then you can get your IDs once your EAD or green card arrive.      You won't be allowed to work until you, at least, have your EAD card.

According to CBP you are required to carry your passport with a copy of your I-94 (this is your legal status for being in the USA) when away from home.

42 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

Yes.

The 90 day limitation was relating to the I-94 issued by CBP, as is only valid for 90 days from entry.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.