SerbCA

Same sex couple and my parents have no idea.

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
40 minutes ago, TNJ17 said:

Unfortunately that does happen for certain countries and it makes it really hard for approval if they have no family support. The UK is a pretty liberal country with no high fraud risk. 

I understand that and feel sorry for countries that may differ. Love shouldn’t be different nor divide us. The reality is different I know. Support to all those out there that aren’t from a liberal country. Love conquers all and unites regardless of acceptance 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

They did ask my husband if his family approved which to me is not as important as the family in the US where you will live

i lost a brother who did not approve of my marriage to a muslim

any marriage that is interracial,  or not of the same religion or the same sex faces an uphill climb (still in our society)

if they ask "what does your family think (the beneficary) say i do not dare to tell them but our plans are to live in the US and his family is supportive

you can not misrpesent the fact to the CO 

be honest

and face the rest of life with this open and honest idealogy

and be happy

God bless you

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline
18 hours ago, NIkandDonnie said:

I apologize in advance if I chose the wrong topic, just didn't know where to put it exactly.

So, a little background, 

We met online in 2015 and have been in an wonderfull relationship ever since, we have gone on two trips together and planing a vacation to Barcelona this summer while we wait for our k1 to be processed (december filer)

We would both really like for him to accompany me to the interview when it comes to that, and also meet my parents and younger brother, but there's a big catch. He is very big on family and would like to meet them at least once and get a picture with them to have as a keepsake. But, here's the problem.

Coming from a very conservative culture and background, my parents have no idea about me being gay, let alone being in a relationship and engaged to my fiance.

The explanation I gave them (and everyone else around me pretty much) is that I got an internship lined up, and that is why I am moving.

My Fiance's mom is very supportive of us, (we chat over skype often), as are all of his friends and familly. I have felt welcomed by them even though I haven't met them yet in person.

My worry is if during the interview the officer asks me what do my parents think of the relationship (I told them that a representative from the company I will be starting the internship in, will come for the interview)

I know telling them outright isn't an option (I'd prefer not to get kicked out of the house and shunned by my whole family), and I have a 12yo brother who I am quite close with, who I probably wouldn't be allowed to contact anymore if I "came out".

I am basically wondering how do I approach the question if it comes up?  You guys have been so helpfull in this whole process, and I am hoping the experience of some VJ members may help shine a light on my situation.

Hi, just to assure you, it is highly unlikely they'll ask about your family. They didn't ask about my family's thought but I was prepared for it if they do. If they did, I would have just answered "No,I did not tell my parents due to the conservative culture and society, I cannot be honest with my family member as they will not understand". I am from a very conservative country and gay relationship is frowned upon. Just remember to always be honest and NEVER lie to the immigration. Answer only what you're asked.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

We’re also a same sex couple, and when we were filing I read every topic I could find on the subject. (I was really green and was worried about general discrimination first going into it.) I think your situation is common, from what I read, but not one thread ever mentioned complications due to not being out.  I guess it could depend on the country, but; like I said, I never read any follow up posts where it was an issue.

Thanks again everyone, you've really put my mind at ease.

I don't think Serbia is considered a super traditional country (as in the parents need to approve of the relationship) so it shouldn't pose a problem even in the slight chance the CO asks, and yea ofcourse I'll tell it like it is, as some of you have said, we're definitelly not the first same sex couple they have had to deal with.

And good look with everyone's journey, today marks one month since our petition was recieved.

event.png

event.png

event.png

1 hour ago, NIkandDonnie said:

today marks one month since our petition was recieved.

Hope your visa journey is smooth and swift :)

K-1 Met:2002 Dating :2003 I-129F Sent : 2013-06-01 I-129F NOA2 : 2013-08-20 Medical: 2013-12-20 Interview Date : 2014-01-22 POE: 2014-02-19 Wedding: 2014-03-18

AOS/EAD Date Filed : 2014-04-04 BioAppt: 2014-05-13 EAD in Production: 2014-07-08 Interview date: 2014-07-14 Green Card received: 2014-07-19

ROC Date Filed: 2016-04-26 Cheque Cashed: 2016-05-10 NOA1: 2016-04-28 Biometrics: 2016-06-30 Approved: 11-08-2016 Green Card Received: 11-18-2016

Citizenship Date Filed: 2017-04-18 Cheque Cashed: 2017-04-24- NOA1:2017-04-21  Biometrics: 2017-05-19 Inline: 2017-07-12 Interview Date: 2018-02-13 Oath: 2018-03-15

I am in the exact same boat. although our situation is a little different.

I am british (Born and bred in england), however I am from a muslim background. My conservative family would be livid knowing I have a relationship with, not only an older man more than twice my age but he is also Caucasian (white) and christian! I am an ex-muslim (i am now atheist) however, my parents do not know this as it is shameful in the community! They think I am gong abroad to study. I'm not sure if this will come up in the interview but if it does, I'll answer it honestly. I am totally in love with my fiance. I'm meeting his parents and family this week so maybe that will help if the family aspect comes up? I'm not sure. I wonder what others think of this situation and whether it will affect me? I'm with the london embassy! Thanks!

Edited by Tea_pgtips

03/01/2019 - USCIS Chicago lockbox received case  for AOS/EAD/AP

03/21/2019 - NOA1 received hard copy via post (Notice date 03/14/2019)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I really think the consular people will understand that your situation has challenges and not judge it in the same way they may with regards to a heterosexual couple’s family knowing about the relationship.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.