Amandaishere

Lost EAD Card while traveling abroad, how do i return to the US?

33 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Amandaishere said:

Will provide an update when we have one. 

He actually decided to take a shot at making his flight, after about 4 hours of questioning/processing/confusion they cleared him from the flight from Paris. However, he had missed the direct flight home so they decided to route him through London.

In London he was almost sent back again, but after a few hours they sent him on a flight. He of course missed the direct flight home and but will be at a port of entry this evening - we will see if he is admitted. Then will be routed home. Fortunately the airlines keep rebooking him after he's been held by immigration. 

Painful waiting game...  Any advice is appreciated!

Great advice. If he's sent back, we will aim for Frankfurt and see what can be done!

Of course they will admit him if he makes it to the US. He has got all the approval notices with him and they have everything in the computer. No need to worry about that. You saved yourself 500 bucks which is good but there was definetly luck involved . ! 

Edited by mustang85635

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
6 hours ago, mustang85635 said:

Of course they will admit him if he makes it to the US. He has got all the approval notices with him and they have everything in the computer. No need to worry about that. You saved yourself 500 bucks which is good but there was definetly luck involved . ! 

yeah if he makes the flight POE will let him in! good job with everything! you got lucky - this is when i say be nice and respecful to the people and work your magic! he wont be sent back! good job:) 

With the copy of the card and the approval notice you should be able to board the plane and the CBP officer should parole you in. I don't think the consulate will help much. AoS is that strange gray area where no clear rules exist. It is still risky but I would recommend just doing it, board the plane and hold on to your copies. I read about another case here where they got no help at the consulate but after arriving to PoE everything turned out okay. It is in officer's discretion to parole you in. 

The risk of missing your interview is much higher than the risk of losing your money for the ticket. You are in good status and with some potential delays they will let you in.

It's good you have all the EAD copies saved!  Now, don't lose that passport :) 

03/04/2016 AOS (EB2-NIW concurrent with I-485) mailed to Lewisville TX Lockbox
03/07/2016 AOS delivered to USCIS and signed
03/12/2016 Case received by Nebraska Service Center (NSC)
03/14/2016 Text notification received for I-140/I-485/I-765/I-131.
04/08/2016 Biometrics notice received for 04/21
04/13/2016 Biometrics early walk-in completed.
04/15/2016 EAD/AP combo card received in mail.

Long wait begins...

11/04/2016 I-140/485 cases transferred from Nebraska to TCS
12/01/2016 Prepared package for EAD/AP renewal (expires 04/09/2017)
12/23/2016 USCIS suddenly changes several forms, invalidating my EAD/AP renewal package (not yet sent)
12/27/2016 USCIS suddenly reforms the entire NIW criteria system, replacing a 20 years old one. Uncharted waters. 
01/07/2017 (Saturday!) EAD/AP renewal package with new forms received in Phoenix "reception desk"
01/17/2017 EAD/AP renewal case accepted; text/email with receipt numbers was received
01/30/2017 Law firm finally confirms that USCIS has suspended processing all EB2-NIW cases due to new criteria. 
02/23/2017 USCIS slowly starts adjudicating NIW cases again.
04/21/2017 Extended EAD/AP received in mail. Valid for 2 years. 
05/06/2017 Received a massive RFE on I-140 NIW case.
07/20/2017 RFE response received by USCIS (a very long response with 30 pages of docs)
09/14/2017 I-140 NIW approved!!! 
11/28/2017 RFE for new medical issued (plus another request re Supp J for employment which is clearly issued in error)
12/04/2017 RFE received in mail
12/07/2017 repeated medical exam for I-485
12/08/2017 Attorney receives documents for responding to I-485 RFE
12/21/2017 Response to RFE received by USCIS 
02/09/2018 I-485 approval (text, email) :)
02/08/2018 I-485 approval notice issued (the "welcome letter") - I'm LPR now
02/16/2018 Green card received

11/14/2022 Filed N-400 online; receipt and biometrics reuse form received online
03/07/2023 N-400 Interview scheduled 
04/xx/2023 N-400 approved, same-day Oath ceremony completed. I'm a US citizen.
05/xx/2023 US passport in hand

10 hours ago, randomstairs said:

With the copy of the card and the approval notice you should be able to board the plane and the CBP officer should parole you in. I don't think the consulate will help much. AoS is that strange gray area where no clear rules exist. It is still risky but I would recommend just doing it, board the plane and hold on to your copies. I read about another case here where they got no help at the consulate but after arriving to PoE everything turned out okay. It is in officer's discretion to parole you in. 

The risk of missing your interview is much higher than the risk of losing your money for the ticket. You are in good status and with some potential delays they will let you in.

It's good you have all the EAD copies saved!  Now, don't lose that passport :) 

As a note, my wife did email the consulate at Paris but didn't want to call their emergency line and this is the message we received when the office opened monday morning. Glad I didn't wait and go that route first! Strange gray area, indeed...

Thank you for your inquiry.  If your spouse filed for adjustment of status in the United States and was travelling with an advance parole/temporary card that were stolen, he may not qualify for a boarding foil as he is not yet a permanent resident.  You may inquire after U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Officers based at U.S. Embassy Rome, Italy regarding his current status, . https://it.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/rome/sections-offices/dhs/uscis/contacts/   If USCIS confirms that he is entitled to apply for a boarding foil at U.S. Embassy Paris, he will need to make an appointment on the following website https://ais.usvisa-info.com

Sincerely,

Immigrant Visa

Visa Unit

U.S. Embassy Paris, France

Official - Privacy/PII 

UNCLASSIFIED

12 hours ago, Amandaishere said:

Thank you everyone! Got in late last night after about 40 hours of traveling, on an original 16 hour itinerary!

We got really luck - the airlines were our biggest hurdle as they had no idea what to do with me and many of the managers interrogated me quite rudely and aggressively, acting as if I was trying to run some sort of scam. Kept a cool head and tried to be as polite as possible and eventually was cleared at each airport, always just minutes after the next flight was closed to boarding!

In the US it was a breeze. Everyone was nice and verified my paperwork without hesitation - I was anticipating that to be the hardest element but it was no worries there. The immigration officers laughed about my experience but didn't express any concern. 

I always carry copies of just about every receipt and approval notice I've received, along with a copy of my EAD card (that saved me) so would caution everyone to do the same! 

Great! Sounds very similar to that other case I remember. The consulate is usually clueless, the airlines are the biggest problem and the Immigration at PoE is perfectly understanding. Logically it wouldn't make any sense if your AoS status literally depended on the physical card. Airlines are tough because they have most to lose if you're not allowed the entry. 

Must have been a relaxed, joyful trip :)

Long wait begins...

12/23/2016 USCIS suddenly changes several forms, invalidating my EAD/AP renewal package (not yet sent)
12/27/2016 USCIS suddenly reforms the entire NIW criteria system, replacing a 20 years old one. Uncharted waters. 
01/07/2017 (Saturday!) EAD/AP renewal package with new forms received in Phoenix "reception desk"
01/17/2017 EAD/AP renewal case accepted; text/email with receipt numbers was received
01/30/2017 Law firm finally confirms that USCIS has suspended processing all EB2-NIW cases due to new criteria. 
07/20/2017 RFE response received by USCIS (a very long response with 30 pages of docs)
11/28/2017 RFE for new medical issued (plus another request re Supp J for employment which is clearly issued in error)

11/14/2022 Filed N-400 online; receipt and biometrics reuse form received online

• 1 month later...
On 21/1/2018 at 4:20 PM, Amandaishere said:

Will provide an update when we have one. 

He actually decided to take a shot at making his flight, after about 4 hours of questioning/processing/confusion they cleared him from the flight from Paris. However, he had missed the direct flight home so they decided to route him through London.

In London he was almost sent back again, but after a few hours they sent him on a flight. He of course missed the direct flight home and but will be at a port of entry this evening - we will see if he is admitted. Then will be routed home. Fortunately the airlines keep rebooking him after he's been held by immigration. 

Painful waiting game...  Any advice is appreciated!

Great advice. If he's sent back, we will aim for Frankfurt and see what can be done!

Dear mandashire

Im right now experiencing the same situation. My wallet was stolen where my EAD  with advance parole was. Could you tell me which was your port of entry and what questions the official ask you. I also have a copy of my lost card and the approval notifications.

thanks

On 3/22/2018 at 4:09 AM, Natalia Gómez said:

Dear mandashire

Im right now experiencing the same situation. My wallet was stolen where my EAD  with advance parole was. Could you tell me which was your port of entry and what questions the official ask you. I also have a copy of my lost card and the approval notifications.

thanks

I hope your situation has already been resolved, but in case it hasn't, and for anyone else that runs into this in the future ... my husband just went through this mess. He was stuck in the D.R.    Despite everyone (including USCIS) telling us to contact the embassy for assistance, the embassy cannot issue a "Transportation Letter" or a "Boarding Foil" unless you are an LPR (Greencard holder).  USCIS has proven to be completely useless and clueless.  Our local field office director didn't know what to do, and checked with the regional director, and they concurred that they couldn't help us process a replacement parole document.  They contacted the field office director in D.R. who indicated they also were unable to.  They basically said "maybe" if you send in a request to the national processing center (complete with the $575 fee required for replacement of a lost document) that they might be able to help.  It's been 3 weeks since I overnighted that application package to the Chicago lockbox with "Emergency Advance Parole Request" written in red sharpie on the outside, along with a cover letter inside explaining that my husband is stranded out of the country, and I've yet to receive ANY activity.  They haven't cashed the check.  They haven't send me a receipt notice.  They haven't rejected or returned the application.  They haven't texted, emailed, mailed, smoke signals, nothing. 

Luckily, I found another avenue to get my husband home.  A half dozen different CBP officers told me they'd be able to admit my husband to enter the country, although it wouldn't be quick & easy, and would take a few hours.  The airline turned out to be the biggest obstacle.  That's because of the huge fines ($4,300) they get from CBP for bringing someone to the US without proper travel documents.  It turns out that CBP operates a special hotline/department called RCLG, Regional Carrier Liaison Group.  Their purpose is to field calls from the airlines about customers with problems with travel documents.  It took 2 weeks of fighting with the airline and escalating my way up to management, but finally got the airline to agree to call RCLG.  I think they just didn't know the process or didn't want to be bothered with it.  Ultimately, they called, and RCLG gave the recommendation to allow my husband to board the plane, which absolved them of the liability and potential fines.   When he arrived in Fort Lauderdale, they only asked a few basic questions about where/why he traveled and how he lost the parole document.  He provided them with a copy of the police report.  It took several extra hours on each end of the flight, but he finally made it back.  What a mess.  I'm so disgusted with our government and USCIS right now.  CBP turned out to be the most helpful in all of this.  USCIS and the State department couldn't have been less helpful.

03/08/2017:  i-129f sent

03/10/2017:  i-129f received

03/15/2017:  Check cashed

03/15/2017:  NOA1 email/text confirmation

03/15/2017:  NOA1 NOTICE DATE

03/20/2017:  Received NOA1 hardcopy in the mail

06/10/2017:  NOA2 NOTICE DATE

06/15/2017:  Received NOA2 hardcopy in the mail

06/24/2017:  Completed DS160 application online

06/26/2017:  NVC Receive Date

06/30/2017:  NVC sent to embassy (electronically)

06/30/2017:  Paid fee online and Scheduled VAC appointment for 7/2/17 and embassy interview appointment for 7/25/17

07/02/2017:  VAC appointment completed (for fingerprints and photograph ... varies by country, don't panic if you're not familiar with this)

07/03/2017:  Embassy received packet from NVC (petitioner received email from embassy, advising case ready for interview)

07/06/2017:  Medical exam completed

07/15/2017:  Medical exam results picked up (sealed envelope + xray disc)

07/18/2017:  Police clearance certificate obtained

07/25/2017:  embassy interview! APPROVED!

09/27/2017:  Port of entry: Ft. Lauderdale

11/11/2017:  Married!

11/13/2017:  AOS packet (with EAD and AP) sent to USCIS

11/14/2017: AOS packet delivered to USCIS

11/20/2017: NOA1 Notice Date (for AOS, EAD, and AP)

11/28/2017: NOA1 Notices Received (for AOS, EAD, and AP)

12/01/2017: ASC Biometrics Appointment NOA Issued

12/19/2017: Biometrics appointment

01/05/2018: USCIS Case Status for EAD and AP shows "updated" but no new information

01/12/2018: USCIS Case Status says EAD approved; card in production

01/16/2018: USCIS Case Status says EAD card mailed

01/18/2018: USCIS Case Status says AP approved

01/20/2018: EAD/AP Combo card received via priority mail!

01/31/2018: Case status changed to "We are scheduling your interview" (at myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov)  

(original/main site, egov.uscis.gov, still shows status as "Fingerprint fee was received" as of 11/17/17)

06/01/2018: Still impatiently waiting :) 

17 hours ago, marc941 said:

Luckily, I found another avenue to get my husband home.  A half dozen different CBP officers told me they'd be able to admit my husband to enter the country, although it wouldn't be quick & easy, and would take a few hours.  The airline turned out to be the biggest obstacle.  That's because of the huge fines ($4,300) they get from CBP for bringing someone to the US without proper travel documents.  It turns out that CBP operates a special hotline/department called RCLG, Regional Carrier Liaison Group.  Their purpose is to field calls from the airlines about customers with problems with travel documents.  It took 2 weeks of fighting with the airline and escalating my way up to management, but finally got the airline to agree to call RCLG.  I think they just didn't know the process or didn't want to be bothered with it.  Ultimately, they called, and RCLG gave the recommendation to allow my husband to board the plane, which absolved them of the liability and potential fines.   When he arrived in Fort Lauderdale, they only asked a few basic questions about where/why he traveled and how he lost the parole document.  He provided them with a copy of the police report.  It took several extra hours on each end of the flight, but he finally made it back.  What a mess.  I'm so disgusted with our government and USCIS right now.  CBP turned out to be the most helpful in all of this.  USCIS and the State department couldn't have been less helpful.

thank you, this was an excellent tip and i hope will help out somebody in a similar situation in the future.

after reading all these stories about lost EAD / AP, I have decided to stop carrying my combo card in my wallet.

Passport 17-Feb-22 Drop-off at USPS (expedited processing and shipping) ~ 22-Feb-22 Status: In Process ~ 08-Mar-22 Passport book shipped ~ 09-Mar-22 Status: Approved. Passport book in hand.

N-400     28-Jun-21 Filed online ~ 28-Jun-21 Received NOA + "Biometrics will be re-used" notice ~ 14-Dec-21 Interview scheduled ~ 25-Jan-22 Interview. Approved. Case status: Oath will be scheduled.  ~ 01-Feb-22 Oath scheduled. ~ 14-Feb-22 Oath ceremony.   

ROC        11-Jun-20 Application sent via FedEx ~ 16-Jun-20 Case received ~ 29-Jun-20 (Old) biometrics applied to case ~ 01-Jul-20 NOA ~ 23-Dec-21 Case transferred to new office ~ 25-Jan-22 Combo interview with N400. Case approved. 

AOS        13-Oct -17 Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct-17 Case received ~ 24-Oct-17 Fingerprint fee received ~ 25-Oct-17 NOA1 ~ 17-Nov-17 Biometrics ~ 23-Nov-17 Status "We are scheduling
                 your 
interview" ~ 24-Jul-18 Status "We have scheduled your interview" ~ 28-Jul-18 Interview notice received in the mail  ~ 29-Aug-18 Interview 30-Aug-18 Status "Case was approved" 

04-Sep-18 Received approval / welcome letter in the mail ~04-Sep-18 Status: "Card was mailed to me" ~07-Sep-18 Green card received

EAD/AP  13-Oct Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct Case received ~ 25-Oct NOA1 ~ 17-Nov Biometrics ~ 09-Jan Approved ~ 13-Jan Notice received ~ 18-Jan Combo card received

K1 Visa   28-Jun-17 Case ready (No packet 3 received) ~ 22-Jul Medical ~ 02-Aug Interview (APPROVED!) ~ 03-Aug Visa issued ~ 08-Aug VOH ~ 14-Sep POE (Abu Dhabi) ~ 01-Oct-17 Got married! 

I-129F     17-Feb-17 Petition sent via FedEx ~ 21-Feb-17 Case received ~ 24-Feb-17 NOA1 ~ 30-May-17 NOA2 12-Jun-17 NVC received / Case and Invoice numbers assigned ~ 20-Jun-17 NVC left

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/3/2018 at 11:12 PM, marc941 said:

I hope your situation has already been resolved, but in case it hasn't, and for anyone else that runs into this in the future ... my husband just went through this mess. He was stuck in the D.R.    Despite everyone (including USCIS) telling us to contact the embassy for assistance, the embassy cannot issue a "Transportation Letter" or a "Boarding Foil" unless you are an LPR (Greencard holder).  USCIS has proven to be completely useless and clueless.  Our local field office director didn't know what to do, and checked with the regional director, and they concurred that they couldn't help us process a replacement parole document.  They contacted the field office director in D.R. who indicated they also were unable to.  They basically said "maybe" if you send in a request to the national processing center (complete with the $575 fee required for replacement of a lost document) that they might be able to help.  It's been 3 weeks since I overnighted that application package to the Chicago lockbox with "Emergency Advance Parole Request" written in red sharpie on the outside, along with a cover letter inside explaining that my husband is stranded out of the country, and I've yet to receive ANY activity.  They haven't cashed the check.  They haven't send me a receipt notice.  They haven't rejected or returned the application.  They haven't texted, emailed, mailed, smoke signals, nothing. 

Thanks for sharing this information. Luckily I arrived yesterday and was paroled in. very similar to your husband experience.

It's surprising to me that there is no formal mechanism in place for lost AP cards abroad. All these stories are similar in that the embassy or USCIS are not the right addresses. The parole is in discretion of CBP and if you can prove that you had a valid AP (copy of the card or the approval letter) they will let you in. 

Long wait begins...

• 9 months later...
On 4/10/2018 at 5:53 PM, Natalia Gómez said:

Thanks for sharing this information. Luckily I arrived yesterday and was paroled in. very similar to your husband experience.

Dear Natalia, I am in the same situation right now. I am currently in Moscow and I tried to talk to Russian airlines about RCLG. But they rejected.

USCIS in Moscow sent our case to humanitarian branch and official timings are from 60 to 120 days.

Please share what Airlines did you use to come back?

I am thinking to fly to another country and talk to Airlines there. 

Thanks in advance.

On 3/29/2018 at 6:12 AM, marc941 said:

Dear Marc941, thanks for this post it is extremely helpful. I also called CBP, but they didn't confirm on phone that they will admit me with just copies. Anyway I found the information about RCLG. Printed it out. Brought to airlines and since it was Aeroflot Russia (which has some tension with US government) they rejected me.

What airlines did you use to come back? In what city? I really need to find an alternative.

USCIS sent me to humanitarian branch, which processing can take up to several months.

Please help.

• 9 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi, I am in the same situation.   I put my EAD/AP in my phone as I was worried my wallet might be stolen.  Phone was stolen in Madrid yesterday!   USCIS advised we contact the Embassy in Madrid. They refused to assist as Im not a Lawful Permanent Resident. 

My return flight is on Dec 11th and we just got notice that the Green Card interview will be in December.  I have to get back. 

@Nadya Wong how did you resolve?  

US Immigration do a pre-clearance at Dublin airport.  So I wonder if an airline flying from Dublin would be subject to less fines and therefore more willing to accept me as a traveller.  I also saw other suggestions about entering via a land border eg Canada.  Has anyone tried that? 

first met late 2016, met 13 more times since. Filed i-129 Apr 14th. NOA2 dated Oct 11th. 

Hi Mike,

When I realized that I lost the card I called the embassy, they scheduled the meeting with me right on the next day and asked to fill out the form for my visit.

I had a meeting with consular in  USCIS Moscow Field Office Public Liaison Unit  - not a section for visas - this unit is responsible for LPRs and citizens support abroad as I understood. I was lucky to submit my case with them, because this unit closed at the end of February in Russia. They informed me that my case is eligible for humanitarian parole. 

This is an abstract of their email:  "Upon studying your case it seems you may file another I-131 Advance parole application as you lost your previous one. Your application may receive expedited processing by our head office. Please make an appointment with our office on website. We recommend you to file I-131 form"

I prepared the package of documents + fee (ca. 540 usd - same fee as for advanced parole). The list of additional documents was the following:

- the I-134 form filled in by my husband.
- supporting documentation for I-134 my husband's most recent payroll and tax transcripts for 2017
- my passport style photo
- cover letter for our case asking for expedite processing of parole.

Public Liason Unit in Moscow sent my case to USCIS in Chicago urgently. And all the further communication was with them.

They didn't accept my request about  expedite processing and getting a visa for reentry took me 3 months. From February till May I had to wait for my reentry visa (not an EAD, but just a sticker to passport).

I read on this forum that one people solved this by negotiating with airlines. I think that rules became more strict since then. None of the airlines allowed me on board explaining that they have huge penalties from US government for that. When my husband talked to border security officers they said that I would not be admitted without a card. I also considered flying through Canada or Mexico, but after conversations with officers we decided not to do that.

I tried to expedite the case writting to congressman - he didn't reply. Then I wrote to Senator of California and received the reply, and they were willing to help however by that time my visa was approved.

After my arrival to the USA, I thought to apply for new EAD (USCIS would issue it for free this time). But fortunately I received Green Card quite soon and didn't have to worry about new work authorization.

Mike, I hope this helps. I suggest you or your spouse who is in the USA to send documents for a new EAD card or humanitarian parole if none of airlines confirm boarding you.

It was tough time for me and my husband. I wish you all the best!

Nadya

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.