Amandaishere

Lost EAD Card while traveling abroad, how do i return to the US?

33 posts in this topic

Today at the airport, my EAD card was lost while checking into my flight to Paris. I have a flight in the morning from Paris to the US and no longer have my EAD card. After multiple attempts to find it and file a police report I haven't been able to locate it. 

I have photocopies of my ead card, my advance parole approval notice, pending AOS receipt notice, marriage license and original K-1 visa on me. What can I do? Can I still board my plane to the US and what are my options if not?

My wife is in the US and can go to our local uscis office or anything that can help. 

Anyone have any ideas how to solve this?? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Wow! You have a very comolicated case. You can’t board the plane without it. 

I read a similar case a few years ago and the person had to wait to get his green card (luckily, no interview was needed) and the wife mailed to him, but that might take months plus you really don’t know if you have the interview waved or not until you received a formal interview letter.

I wouldn’t take that flight because none of the documents you mentioned before are legal or valid for admission. And the k1 visa is obsolete at this point, because is a just 1 way entry.

My suggestion is for your wife to make an infopass at her local USCIS, fax her all the documents you mentioned above plus a copy of the police report you filed.

Maybe she can file and get an EAD/AP card replacement.

Edited by Andrea&Henry

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Have you been to the US embassy in Paris? Not sure if there's anything they can do for you, but might be worth a try.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

You’ll have to go to the US Embassy in Paris to get the transportation foil. Better be there early they’ll only be open for 4 hrs on Monday so they can notify employees who is furloughed or not. Book an emergency appointment right away. Try to find the duty officer number so they’re aware of your situation. 

You better reschedule your flight. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Everything I have seen online says that Boarding Foils are only for LPR. As I am AOS, do you think they will still issue one? Any special appeal process?

Searching for phone numbers but because it is outside of operating hours the emergency lines says it's for things like, kidnapping and hospitalization? 

You’d be surprised what kind of questions duty officers field. 

Anyways, if there’s an email address use it - even if you’re not yet an LPR. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Just visit USCIS paris office in the embassy and take all your approval notices with you . There you fill out i-131a and get either a boarding foil or what i think is more likely a parole letter in form of an emergency advance parole document .Going to cost you around 500USD . 

Shouldnt be a problem.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline
6 hours ago, mustang85635 said:

Just visit USCIS paris office in the embassy and take all your approval notices with you . There you fill out i-131a and get either a boarding foil or what i think is more likely a parole letter in form of an emergency advance parole document .Going to cost you around 500USD . 

Shouldnt be a problem.

There is no USCIS international office in Paris.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cameroon
Timeline

Go to the U.S embassy in Paris, you should be able to get some sort of emergency parole travel document from them. Be ready to form in a couple hundred dollars though.

Adjustment of Status From F-1 Visa.

8/14/2014: Mailed AOS package: I-130, I-485, I-765.

8/18/2014: Accepted in Chicago. Transferred to Nebraska Service Center.

8/21/2014: Received NOA 1. I-130, I-485, I-765 in mail.

8/25/2014: Received biometrics in mail. Scheduled for 9/8/2014

9/24/2014: EAD approved. 36 Days!

10/01/2014: EAD mailed.

10/03/2014: Received EAD card.

10/14/2014: I-485 moved to testing and interview.

1/28/2015: Interview scheduled for 3/4/2015.

1/31/2015: Received interview notice.

3/4/2015: Interview completed and APPROVED!

3/5/2015: Welcome notice mailed and I-130 Approved.

3/10/2015: Welcome notice and I-130 approval notice received.

3/12/2015: Green card mailed.

3/14/2015: Green card delivered.

Removal of Conditions: 

12/14/2016: Mailed I-751.

12/19/2016: NOA issued.

01/26/2017: Biometrics.

05/03/2018: I-751 transfered to NBC.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 Interview.

05/14/2019: I-751 APPROVED.

Naturalization:

12/02/2017: Mailed N 400 to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox. (I-751 still pending)

12/05/2017: Package delivered in Phoenix, AZ. Transferred to Harrisonburg Processing Center.

12/07/2017: Notice of action issued. (IOE)

12/26/2017: Biometrics.

01/23/2019: Interview Scheduled for 2/27/2019.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 interview. N-400 recommended for approval.

05/16/2019: N-400 APPROVED! Placed in line for oath ceremony.

05/17/2019: Oath ceremony notice mailed.

06/12/2019: Swearing in Ceremony! Finally a U.S. citizen!

Filed: Country:
Timeline
8 hours ago, milimelo said:

You’d be surprised what kind of questions duty officers field. 

1. Your average duty officer has zero experience with visa issues and won't know how to answer this question.

2. This person is not a U.S. citizen.

3. This is not an emergency.

Please don't encourage people to make after hours calls about this kind of issue. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

If there is no USCIS officer or CBP attache working in paris which i highly doubt take a very cheap flight to frankfurt ( maybe 20-30 euros) and there you have one of the biggest uscis offices abroad in the world . Its not a big deal they will and can issue you emergency advance parole in form of a letter with your picture. It is an emergency lol this person has an AOS interview and is stuck abroad

12 hours ago, Amandaishere said:

Today at the airport, my EAD card was lost while checking into my flight to Paris. I have a flight in the morning from Paris to the US and no longer have my EAD card. After multiple attempts to find it and file a police report I haven't been able to locate it. 

I have photocopies of my ead card, my advance parole approval notice, pending AOS receipt notice, marriage license and original K-1 visa on me. What can I do? Can I still board my plane to the US and what are my options if not?

My wife is in the US and can go to our local uscis office or anything that can help. 

Anyone have any ideas how to solve this?? 

Please let us all know if and how you managed to resolve this when you have a moment.  Thank you :).

Jlj4m8.png

Will provide an update when we have one. 

He actually decided to take a shot at making his flight, after about 4 hours of questioning/processing/confusion they cleared him from the flight from Paris. However, he had missed the direct flight home so they decided to route him through London.

In London he was almost sent back again, but after a few hours they sent him on a flight. He of course missed the direct flight home and but will be at a port of entry this evening - we will see if he is admitted. Then will be routed home. Fortunately the airlines keep rebooking him after he's been held by immigration. 

Painful waiting game...  Any advice is appreciated!

5 hours ago, mustang85635 said:

If there is no USCIS officer or CBP attache working in paris which i highly doubt take a very cheap flight to frankfurt ( maybe 20-30 euros) and there you have one of the biggest uscis offices abroad in the world . Its not a big deal they will and can issue you emergency advance parole in form of a letter with your picture. It is an emergency lol this person has an AOS interview and is stuck abroad

Great advice. If he's sent back, we will aim for Frankfurt and see what can be done!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Amandaishere said:

Will provide an update when we have one. 

He actually decided to take a shot at making his flight, after about 4 hours of questioning/processing/confusion they cleared him from the flight from Paris. However, he had missed the direct flight home so they decided to route him through London.

In London he was almost sent back again, but after a few hours they sent him on a flight. He of course missed the direct flight home and but will be at a port of entry this evening - we will see if he is admitted. Then will be routed home. Fortunately the airlines keep rebooking him after he's been held by immigration. 

Painful waiting game...  Any advice is appreciated!

Great advice. If he's sent back, we will aim for Frankfurt and see what can be done!

London has a USCIS field office as well...  If he is already in London

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.