ThisGirlsCurls

Ebay? (K1 Visa during the 90 days?)

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I’m sure this may be somewhere in the forum but I’m yet to find it. 

I would ideally like real peoples experiences/knowledge in opposed to Wiki pages and sites on taxation that I just dont understand! 

I will be moving to the US on a K1 visa this year. 

I am not looking forward to the housebound months of unemployment. 

My partner has a lot of stuff to sell to make way for me which I have offered to sell on arrival to give me something to do and to put towards a car for me to get mobile. 

It will not be a job, but I also know that ebay is a bit of a grey area for hobbyists making an income from it. 

Has anyone done this without issue when they moved? I presume you cannot do it on your own U.k ebay account and would have to use the US spouses account or figure out how to change it over?

Beyond the 90 days, if this proved to be something I enjoyed, who (agency wise?) can I talk to in the US about doing this self employed to declare the right things. 

I know this will be nowhere near as profitable as my UK employment but I am still not sold on US annual leave and if I can do something working for myself then I will weigh up the options!! 

Thanks in advance. 

If the best things in life are free, why is a long distance relationship so expensive!?

3rd July 2017 - NOA1
14th February - RFE
24th April 2018 - NOA2
11th May 2018 - NVC received
xx/xx/xxxx - NVC Case Number # received
xx/xx/xxxx - Medical
xx/xx/xxxx - Interview 
xx/xx/xxxx - POE
xx/xx/xxxx - Married

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Use his account.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

I think you are fine to sell his things for him as you aren't on a payroll.  To do it as a business requires a Social Security number.  I know people without visas can volunteer and do pro bono work, so as long as you aren't paid for it as an employee or anything that looks like a commission, I would say it's fine. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Volunteering and pro bono work is a gray area.  If the individual is donating there time or performing services in what would normally be paid work is a no no

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
On 1/5/2018 at 12:31 PM, bakphx1@aol.com said:

I think you are fine to sell his things for him as you aren't on a payroll.  To do it as a business requires a Social Security number.  I know people without visas can volunteer and do pro bono work, so as long as you aren't paid for it as an employee or anything that looks like a commission, I would say it's fine. 

Not always true. I wasn't allowed to volunteer prior to getting my Green Card even though I wasn't going to get any type of compensation. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
2 hours ago, Unidentified said:

Not always true. I wasn't allowed to volunteer prior to getting my Green Card even though I wasn't going to get any type of compensation. 

Was that stated in the visa paperwork or do the charities know this? 

I was hoping to volunteer. 

The ebay thing was more to save my partner doing it but its such a grey area, he’s selling them either way but i’ll be bored to tears and will need something to do!! 

How have people survived this period with their wings clipped, i’ll be pretty remote so really need a car for my sanity.

If the best things in life are free, why is a long distance relationship so expensive!?

3rd July 2017 - NOA1
14th February - RFE
24th April 2018 - NOA2
11th May 2018 - NVC received
xx/xx/xxxx - NVC Case Number # received
xx/xx/xxxx - Medical
xx/xx/xxxx - Interview 
xx/xx/xxxx - POE
xx/xx/xxxx - Married

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
2 hours ago, ThisGirlsCurls said:

Was that stated in the visa paperwork or do the charities know this? 

I was hoping to volunteer. 

The ebay thing was more to save my partner doing it but its such a grey area, he’s selling them either way but i’ll be bored to tears and will need something to do!! 

How have people survived this period with their wings clipped, i’ll be pretty remote so really need a car for my sanity.

In many cases you can probably volunteer, you just have to be prepared that they might say no if you tell them you don't have a work permit. It is not stated in the visa paperwork and I don't know if there are any official statements on if we can or can't. 

Yeah it is rather frustrating while you wait for your work permit. I had access to a car but I still felt like my wings were clipped. Didn't feel like I did anything useful other than take care of the home. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.