CaliCat

'Mass shooting' reported at Sutherland Springs church in Texas

644 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country:
Timeline
1 hour ago, Ban Hammer said:

overcrowding.  i remember reading an experiment with mice, where they overcrowded them and they all went nuts, became cannibals and so on.

I heard that theory too , the issue with this particular latest tragedy is that it was a small town, 400 ppl max I believe.

image-2017-12-29 (1).jpg

Timeline
7 minutes ago, IDWAF said:

You keep digging yourself into a hole here.   Our "gun culture" has been around for over 200 years, and people were not committing mass murders at this rate in the past.

Guns didn't suddenly become evil in this century,  nor did they become more readily available.  Quite the opposite, in fact.

You should validade your assumptions, before making such claims. 

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline
Just now, Beachlover said:

I heard that theory too , the issue with this particular latest tragedy is that it was a small town, 400 ppl max I believe.

I know a few people who would consider that overcrowded ... 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 minute ago, natty bumppo said:

I know a few people who would consider that overcrowded ... 

Me

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
8 minutes ago, natty bumppo said:

This culture you speak of  ... is not about the gun ... the object.

This culture(s) you speak of has a belief system is so broken ... that it has zero regard for any human life. Any slight, hurt or disappointment sends these people off into a rage that only knows how to maim and destroy.

There are many tools for people of this culture ... we see the results of this culture everyday ... all around the world.

Let's go with that. Let's go with a system that is so broken. As a society we make it easier that people use guns to act on their rage. If guns were not offer some sort of differential in that equation, we'd be looking as mass shootings all over the world with the same frequency and intensity across the globe. We don't see mass shootings in any other first world country. Perhaps there isn't one single factor, but the availability of guns in America makes it a low hanging fruit.

Timeline
Just now, CaliCat said:

Let's go with that. Let's go with a system that is so broken. As a society we make it easier that people use guns to act on their rage. If guns were not offer some sort of differential in that equation, we'd be looking as mass shootings all over the world with the same frequency and intensity across the globe. We don't see mass shootings in any other first world country. Perhaps there isn't one single factor, but the availability of guns in America makes it a low hanging fruit.

Yea we also see ...  mass truckings ... car bombs ... IEDs ... acidings ... bad music at the Bataclan theatre ... oh and what's a few beheadings among friends ... 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, natty bumppo said:

Yea we also see ...  mass truckings ... car bombs ... IEDs ... acidings ... bad music at the Bataclan theatre ... oh and what's a few beheadings among friends ... 

There are plenty of red herrings to choose from, I agree. But on the topic of gun violence, you don't see mass shootings in other countries as regularly as you do in the US.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, natty bumppo said:

As you state ... you do see mass shootings in other countries.

And the punishment is swift which makes a pretty good deterrent.

The punishment is harder in the US. No other 1st world country has the death penalty. No other 1st world country has a similar gun culture either.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, CaliCat said:

The punishment is harder in the US. No other 1st world country has the death penalty. No other 1st world country has a similar gun culture either.

The death penalty is not always used or permitted by state law (depending on state).

We do tend to let bad guys out early don't we?

That is if they don't claim protected class status somewhere in the process and get a lighter sentence cause it's not their fault.

7 hours ago, CaliCat said:

Not for much longer though. 

He managed to get two rounds into the shooter, neither of which were fatal. 26 people are dead, all the same. 

If only shows what everyone knows: More guns don't make us safer.

Not exactly the sort of publicity the NRA would hope for.

When will he be fired as an NRA Gun Safety Instructor?  Next week? Tomorrow?

Click Spoiler for signature timeline.

3/10/2013 - Married

Green Card Process Summary
3/25/2013 - Submitted I-130's
01/13/2014 - Embassy Interview - Approved!
05/28/2014 - POE (U.S. Customs and Immigration Overseas Preclearance Facility - Abu Dhabi)
08/20/2014 - Green Card received.

Naturalization Process

01/20/2015 - Submitted N-400 for immediate naturalization under INA 319b.

02/10/2015 - Check cashed.

02/14/2015 - NOA

04/07/2015 - Case shipped to local field office.

04/08/2015 - Interview scheduled for July 6, 2015.

04/08/2015 - Wifey better be studying her butt off for the citizenship test!

07/08/2015 - Wifey was studying her butt off and passed the test easily. Oath ceremony completed on same day! We are done with our journey!

7 hours ago, natty bumppo said:

This culture(s) you speak of has a belief system is so broken ... that it has zero regard for any human life. Any slight, hurt or disappointment sends these people off into a rage that only knows how to maim and destroy.

There are many tools for people of this culture ... we see the results of this culture everyday ... all around the world.

As our society slips further down the garbage chute of liberalism, these events seem to happen more frequently.  It appears to be a decay of civil society.  I don't think this is a coincidence at all.

3/10/2013 - Married

05/28/2014 - POE (U.S. Customs and Immigration Overseas Preclearance Facility - Abu Dhabi)

Naturalization Process

02/14/2015 - NOA

07/08/2015 - Wifey was studying her butt off and passed the test easily. Oath ceremony completed on same day! We are done with our journey!

7 hours ago, natty bumppo said:

As our society slips further down the garbage chute of liberalism, these events seem to happen more frequently.  It appears to be a decay of civil society.  I don't think this is a coincidence at all.

3/10/2013 - Married

Naturalization Process

02/14/2015 - NOA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
2 hours ago, jayjayj said:

That’s a great point, but I would change it to say as we move more toward a nanny state instead of Liberalism.  Most honest liberals I know aren’t really big fans of big government,  but there does seem to be a cause and effect with these events and the growth of big government.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!