CaliCat

'Mass shooting' reported at Sutherland Springs church in Texas

644 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline
2 hours ago, IDWAF said:

Very true.  I've said it before, how "back in my day", kids brought guns to school in their vehicles.  Pretty much every boy had a knife in his pocket.  No one got shot.  Not sure there were any raging lunatics doing mass shootings in my teen years.  

I remember guns at school very well. Always in the parking lot ... especially during hunting season. Never a problem.

Raging lunatics were around back then ... remember David Berkowitz? Juan Corona? John Wayne Gacy? Carl Eugene Watts? William Bonin? 

Bad people were around back then too 

Edited by natty bumppo

Timeline
3 hours ago, natty bumppo said:

Do stay focused on the problem.

This does not exist without a human being who has no moral compass and no regard for life doing the nasty deed. It was their choice ... nobody made them do it.

Blaming others is deflecting the blame ... responsibility solely belongs to the person inflicting harm.

It was the shooter's choice to kill all those people. As a society, we made it easier for him to carry out his fantasy.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

oh noes.....the guy that shot the shooter.............he's.........an NRA instructor!
23172667_1986635708239317_85587401127480

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline
3 hours ago, natty bumppo said:

Society can do everything to give this person a chance. 

The question is ... will the person take advantage and prosper ... or take a dump on the opportunity and blame everyone else?

You contradict yourself. Is it the individual's choice alone, or are choices made possible by society? Pick a lane. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 minute ago, Ban Hammer said:

oh noes.....the guy that shot the shooter.............he's.........an NRA instructor!
23172667_1986635708239317_85587401127480

I need my safe space!

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
2 hours ago, IDWAF said:

You DO realize that guns have been a part of America since day 1, right?  It's how "the West was won".  But respect for human life in generations past was far greater, I think.  

Guns are simply the (weapon/tool) of choice.  The person MAKING the choice is at fault.  I find it hard to believe you can't see that.

(I am NOT saying there isn't a problem that needs addressed, BTW)

That is what I was trying to explain to the other poster. Thank you.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, CaliCat said:

It was the shooter's choice to kill all those people. As a society, we made it easier for him to carry out his fantasy.

As a society we have taken away the fear of punishment  ... expectation of the punishments swift and proper execution.

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Ban Hammer said:

Not for much longer though. 

He managed to get two rounds into the shooter, neither of which were fatal. 26 people are dead, all the same. 

If only shows what everyone knows: More guns don't make us safer.

Not exactly the sort of publicity the NRA would hope for.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, CaliCat said:

You contradict yourself. Is it the individual's choice alone, or are choices made possible by society? Pick a lane. 

you sound confused ... let's try again. Do try to keep up ...

Society can offer opportunities ... 

Will the person utilize ... take advantage of these opportunities to better themselves?

(personal choice to accept ... EBT, WIC, good work ethics/ habits, grants, scholarships, .mil service ... etc)

Or ... will the person take a dump on these opportunities to better themselves?

(personal choice to embrace ... thug life,  bad work ethics/ habits, take the $$ and run, etc)

There is also another ... 

The individual and can turn down the opportunities and simply better themselves through hard work.

(personal choice)

Timeline
Just now, natty bumppo said:

you sound confused ... let's try again. Do try to keep up ...

Society can offer opportunities ... 

Will the person utilize ... take advantage of these opportunities to better themselves?

(personal choice to accept ... EBT, WIC, good work ethics/ habits, grants, scholarships, .mil service ... etc)

Or ... will the person take a dump on these opportunities to better themselves?

(personal choice to embrace ... thug life,  bad work ethics/ habits, take the $$ and run, etc)

There is also another ... 

The individual and can turn down the opportunities and simply better themselves through hard work.

(personal choice)

My point exactly. As a society we make certain choices available to all. Our gun culture makes it possible that one of these choices involve getting a weapon that can mow down 26 people in a church.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 minute ago, CaliCat said:

My point exactly. As a society we make certain choices available to all. Our gun culture makes it possible that one of these choices involve getting a weapon that can mow down 26 people in a church.

And Truck culture

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
8 minutes ago, CaliCat said:

And made it that much easier for people like him to have access to weapons.

Weapons were much much easier to obtain years ago.

Knifes, busted glass bottles, trucks, even firearms. These were always available.

Remember how easy it was to legally procure a firearm in the early 80's?

Now compare it to today.

What does your experience say is easier?

With people like him ... kinda hard for the system to work if the gov't doesn't do it's job and file the DV paperwork.

The gov't gave him the free pass ... get out of jail free card.

Filed: Timeline
12 minutes ago, CaliCat said:

You keep digging yourself into a hole here.   Our "gun culture" has been around for over 200 years, and people were not committing mass murders at this rate in the past.

Guns didn't suddenly become evil in this century,  nor did they become more readily available.  Quite the opposite, in fact.

Timeline
15 minutes ago, CaliCat said:

This culture you speak of  ... is not about the gun ... the object.

This culture(s) you speak of has a belief system is so broken ... that it has zero regard for any human life. Any slight, hurt or disappointment sends these people off into a rage that only knows how to maim and destroy.

There are many tools for people of this culture ... we see the results of this culture everyday ... all around the world.

Edited by natty bumppo