2,950 posts in this topic

On 5/6/2019 at 10:52 AM, BaconBait said:

i just send in my N400 application last week online, will USCIS send me the study materials or i have to download it myself?

When I went for my biometrics, the ASC personnel gave me a magazine looking copy of the civics test to study. I liked it a lot and I even brought it to the interview to read while waiting since they wont let you use your phone while in the waiting area. I also downloaded the flashcards from the USCIS website to read when Im not in the house.

question, 

so I had my interview for the N400 today. However, my I751 is not complete yet. The officer said that he will have to adjudicate the I751 prior to the N400 (I passed the exam though). 

my question is, how long does it take for the officer to approve the I751? He had both files with him in the interview. 

thanks 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Does USCIS ever contact via phone calls?

I have the habit of ignoring any unknown numbers since I started receiving lots of scammy phone calls in the last year. If there's a chance USCIS might contact  via phone, I would like reconsider my old habit...

That's the million $ question! But first, congrats on passing your N400. 

It seems to be luck of the draw. Some combi people get both cases officially approved on the day of interview, others get called back for an i-751 interview (take your spouse along) and some have to wait it out for non-interview i-751 adjudication post N400.

It's encouraging that your officer said that he will adjudicate your i-751, that suggests it's not leaving his desk which should mean a quicker turnaround if your application is pretty standard. And by that I mean no minor or major red flags he'll be required to investigate. But passing your civics, and having a good N400 interview, all points to the positive.

Good luck and keep us posted!

20 hours ago, fcorona85 said:

question, 

so I had my interview for the N400 today. However, my I751 is not complete yet. The officer said that he will have to adjudicate the I751 prior to the N400 (I passed the exam though). 

my question is, how long does it take for the officer to approve the I751? He had both files with him in the interview. 

thanks 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current status: UK and USA citizen

12-Mar-19: I-751 (WAC18026) + N400 combi interview

Outcome

16 Mar-19: I-751 ~ Green Card in Hand (from submission to card delivery, 17 months)

19 Apr-19:  N400 ~ Naturalization Oath Ceremony, certificate in-hand! (from submission to oath, 6 months)

1 May 19: Voter registration card in-hand

3 May 19: USA passport in-hand

11 May 19: New SSN card in-hand

Yes they do, but in my experience, it's prompted by an inquiry the applicant/petitioner has raised. I've never had a call from them otherwise. They tend to like being as mysterious and anonymous as possible. It's kind of weird at the oath ceremony to see all these USCIS people running around when they've been so faceless throughout the process. ;)

20 hours ago, LeoFromBR said:

I have the habit of ignoring any unknown numbers since I started receiving lots of scammy phone calls in the last year. If there's a chance USCIS might contact  via phone, I would like reconsider my old habit...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current status: UK and USA citizen

12-Mar-19: I-751 (WAC18026) + N400 combi interview

Outcome

16 Mar-19: I-751 ~ Green Card in Hand (from submission to card delivery, 17 months)

19 Apr-19:  N400 ~ Naturalization Oath Ceremony, certificate in-hand! (from submission to oath, 6 months)

1 May 19: Voter registration card in-hand

3 May 19: USA passport in-hand

11 May 19: New SSN card in-hand

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
21 hours ago, LeoFromBR said:

My wife got a call from our local USCIS office to let her know that they were scheduling her I 751 interview.  At first when I picked up the cell phone I thought it was a telemarketer  coz it says Unknown caller which I have a habit of hanging up. But seeing the last 4 digits of the number ending in all 0's  calling from our local area code   prompted me to  pick up the phone. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country:
Timeline
21 hours ago, fcorona85 said:

question, 

thanks 

Edited by ramus_maximus

Timeline
1 hour ago, GoodbyeGirl said:

It seems to be luck of the draw. Some combi people get both cases officially approved on the day of interview, others get called back for an i-751 interview (take your spouse along) and some have to wait it out for non-interview i-751 adjudication post N400.

It's encouraging that your officer said that he will adjudicate your i-751, that suggests it's not leaving his desk which should mean a quicker turnaround if your application is pretty standard. And by that I mean no minor or major red flags he'll be required to investigate. But passing your civics, and having a good N400 interview, all points to the positive.

21 hours ago, fcorona85 said:

question, 

thanks 

We are in same situation as you. Had the combo in September 2018. We made several attempts to get an update on why is it taking long, but everytime we were told to just wait for there response. We even provided more evidence but still waiting on their response.

Our I751 was transferred to another office.  Hopefully it's our local office, as our n400 interview is in a couple weeks!

K1 Visa

Service Center : California Service Center
Transferred? No
☑I-129F Sent : 03-10-15
☑NOA1 : 03-20-15
☑NOA2 : 04-07-15
☑Received NOA2 hardcopy: 04-11-15
NVC received: 04-24-15
NVC Assigns Case #: 04-27-15
☑Case sent to embassy: 05-04-15
☑Embassy Packet 3 sent: 05-19-15
☑Medical: 07-03-15 and 09-07-15 (did two medicals to ensure fiance had enough time to get to U.S.)
☑Interview: 07-30-15
☑Visa Issued: 09-22-15!!!! [:thumbs:]

K1 OVERALL: NO RFE and NO LAWYER!
--------------------------------------------------------

POE TO GREEN CARD

Fiance arrived in USA (POE @ Boston Logan)!!!: 01-31-2016 :D
Court Marriage: 02-04-16
Sent AOS, EAD, AP Packet: 02-25-16 :dance:

Packet Delivered via USPS Priority & Certified: 02-27-16

Check cashed by USCIS: 03-03-16

NOA1's by text (x3): 03-03-16

NOA1 Hardcopies via Mail (x3): 03-07-16

Biometric Appt. Letter Received: 03-18-16 (scheduled for 03/31/16, Raleigh, NC)

Biometrics Appointment: 03-31-16; Raleigh, NC

☑"My Interview is Scheduled" Status Change: 04-12-16

Received hardcopy of Interview Notice: 04-16-16

EAD/AP Approval by Email: 04-26-16

I797 Approval Notice for EAD and AP: 04-30-16

Green Card Interview: 05-18-16; (APPROVED ON THE SPOT!) :D

I797 Approval Notice for Green Card: 05-23-16

Conditional Green Card Received!: 05-26-16 :dancing:

GC OVERALL: NO RFE and NO LAWYER!

ROC OVERALL: NO RFE and NO LAWYER!

"120 days out" letter: 01-24-18 ☑ Submitted ROC: 03-10-18 ☑ Package delivered: 03-14-18 ☑ Waived Biometrics: 05-08-18 ☑ Interview Date Set for 05/23/19: 05-07-19 (automatic approval!) Card Received:

N400 OVERALL: NO RFE and NO LAWYER!

Filing Date: 03/16/2019 NOA1: 03/16/2019 Biometrics Walk-In: 03/28/19 (originally scheduled for 04/08/19) ☑ Interview Date Set for 05/23/19: 04/18/19 (automatic approval!) Oath Ceremony: 07/17/19

Timeline
2 hours ago, geff44 said:

My wife got a call from our local USCIS office to let her know that they were scheduling her I 751 interview.  At first when I picked up the cell phone I thought it was a telemarketer  coz it says Unknown caller which I have a habit of hanging up. But seeing the last 4 digits of the number ending in all 0's  calling from our local area code   prompted me to  pick up the phone. 

Good to know. Presumably, they would have left a voice mail or called again to reschedule the I-751 interview.

How many days before the interview did they call to reschedule?

Timeline
2 hours ago, ramus_maximus said:

We are in same situation as you. Had the combo in September 2018. We made several attempts to get an update on why is it taking long, but everytime we were told to just wait for there response. We even provided more evidence but still waiting on their response.

So if you were interviewed for Naturalization, that means you took the test, and that means at the end, they handed you the N-652 form, which says on the bottom, they have 120 days to make a decision. Did they inform you of their decision? 

Timeline
22 minutes ago, LeoFromBR said:

So if you were interviewed for Naturalization, that means you took the test, and that means at the end, they handed you the N-652 form, which says on the bottom, they have 120 days to make a decision. Did they inform you of their decision? 

Actually the combo interview was in June 2018 and we were finally able to get an infopass appointment in September 2018 because we still didn't have the letter (RFE) from them as the IO said they will be sending a letter requesting additional evidence within a week. Still waiting on that letter. September is when we took the additional documents we discussed during the combo interview.  Since then  we are unable to get any infopass appointments  as they changed how the infopass appt. are given. Their last response to our status update request on the I-751 is that they are still tying to find a time slot for us to schedule.

Timeline
21 minutes ago, ramus_maximus said:

Actually the combo interview was in June 2018 and we were finally able to get an infopass appointment in September 2018 because we still didn't have the letter (RFE) from them as the IO said they will be sending a letter requesting additional evidence within a week. Still waiting on that letter. September is when we took the additional documents we discussed during the combo interview.  Since then  we are unable to get any infopass appointments  as they changed how the infopass appt. are given. Their last response to our status update request on the I-751 is that they are still tying to find a time slot for us to schedule.

Wow, that's ridiculous! It's been almost a year since your combo!!  I have to ask, were there any "red flags" or complications in your case? Such as divorce or lack of "big" evidence (no lease signed together or no tax filed jointly)?

I see that you have cases in California and Texas. Did you move between states during these applications?  Where did your I-751/N-400 combo interview take place? Have you moved after the interview?

I'm not an expert, but I've read about calling customer support and "escalating to a Tier 2 officer" so you can get some answers and actually make an InfoPass appointment. I mean, what else would anyone reading this suggest???

Good luck!

Timeline
20 minutes ago, LeoFromBR said:

Wow, that's ridiculous! It's been almost a year since your combo!!  I have to ask, were there any "red flags" or complications in your case? Such as divorce or lack of "big" evidence (no lease signed together or no tax filed jointly)?

I see that you have cases in California and Texas. Did you move between states during these applications?  Where did your I-751/N-400 combo interview take place? Have you moved after the interview?

I'm not an expert, but I've read about calling customer support and "escalating to a Tier 2 officer" so you can get some answers and actually make an InfoPass appointment. I mean, what else would anyone reading this suggest???

Good luck!

We only had 2 yrs tax returns,  few trips we took together and pics with friends and family. 

Never moved out of TX, we had to file our I-751 to CA. Combo interview was in Houston.

The Tier 2 officer gave is the same answer " Wait for their response" and they say they do not give infopass just to inquire about the staus. 

We are very frustrated by the response we have been getting. The people who can answer our questions in FO, we can't talk to them because they do not give infopass apponintments. The people we are able to contact do not know the actual case status. It feels like a never ending cycle since Oct 2016, that's when we applied for ROC.  

4 hours ago, ramus_maximus said:

My case just updated, they approved my I751 and my N400 is been scheduled. sorry to hear that you are still waiting 

5 hours ago, GoodbyeGirl said:

thank you for the good wishes. my case just got updated. My I751 approved and my N400 scheduled.

seems like it is getting to the very end :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.