38 posts in this topic

Hello, 

My name is Rachael, and I fell in love with with a man I've never met in person before. 

I'll give you a little back story. In 2005, we met on a webcam site called, stickam.com. It was a site, where you could shuffle through different people all over the world and I just so happened to land on a camera of this cute guy playing guitar (I was too). Now mind you, we were the ages, 12 and 13.... He is 10 months older than me exactly. Anyway.. It turned out that Alex lived in Western Aus..... we were literally on the opposite side of the world from each other.  over the last 12 years, we have kept in contact and video chatted through, Stickam, MSN, AOL, Skype, Myspace etc. There was a point in time when we did lose contact with each other.. Then, Facebook cameo out, and I decided to look him up.... and wouldn't you know it!!!! I found his Aussie butt!!!!!  We always kept in contact for ever, for the last 12 years honestly.  He was supposed to come to the states 3 times, but always ended up going to a different destination. But this year is different.....!

So, back in the beginning of June of this year, we started "Talking, Talking" and things have become pretty serious, we have talked literally every single day since then. texting, video chatting, phone calls. quite literally every second of my day is consumed by him other than when he's sleeping (He's 12 hrs ahead of me).

Even though we have not met in person... physically... I fell for him.. oh boy, did I fall for him the last few months.... I fell because he serenaded me to sleep (at least he thought so...)... I could see him through my eye lashes; he turned his head to the side smiled  then turned the chat off...   He's become my best friend.... We have so much in common, we have the same sense of humor... I can go on and on.. really. 

So now that you are up to speed..... He is coming here through the Non-Visa Waiver Program for 3 months, on October 25th. His plane lands... and that is when my heart will stop I think.. I have butterflies just thinking about it... I mean, common.... 12 years of knowing someone and we are finally going to meet in person.. I have no idea what he even smells like lol! so he will be here until January 23rd, and he leaves back home to AUS.. :(:(  The very thought makes me sick to my stomach and my heart sink..... I don't want him to leave already and he's not even here yet! 

I suggested the K-1 Visa... because we wanted to find a way to keep him here.. because we don't want him to go home to W.A. I love him and am too afraid to tell him over camera, I want to tell him in person... With the K-1 I have read that he have had to of met in person first, have pictures etc... which we will be doing all of this on the NVWP. We're going to Colorado, New York, Disney, Miami, (I live in FL).. and I will be taking a ton of pictures. I just want to make sure that I have everything I need prior to filing for the K-1.

I have a few questions regarding the whole K-1 Visa: 

1- Can we apply for a K-1 Visa while he is in the states?? 

2- How long does it take to get approval for the Visa?
3-How long do we have to be engaged before filing for the K-1?

4- How soon upon his return to the AUS can he apply for the Visa?

5-Would you suggest him coming back on a B-2 Visa for the 6 month duration, and apply in the states for the K-1?

I just want to make sure I cover everything. I love him, and I want him to stay with me, and he wants to stay. I have a little boy... and He needs a daddy... his real father passed away when I was 34 weeks pregnant... Lex has always been there for me... I am so happy when we talk... I could only imagine him being here in person.... oh my god..... I'm soooo excited, but I am DREADING January 23rd :( I just want him to stay...

Any advice anyone can give me??? 

Thanks soooooo much for reading!

Hello, welcome!

I can't give you the answers you need for your important questions but i just wanted to say, yes it will be very hard saying 'bye for now' when he flies back in January, but make the most of those 3 months together & remind yourselves why your doing this. I have had to say 'bye for now' 7 times to my fiance & i feel so down & cry a hell of a lot when it happens, but i remind myself we will be together permanently within the next year.
We have just finished gathering/filling out everything for our K1 Visa today & he will be sending it off next week. :D

Just remind yourself these visits & bye for now's are worth it all ^_^

K1 Fiance Visa Journey 💍 - From sending I-129F to Visa in hand = 295 days📅

Spoiler

10th-Oct-2017 I-129F sent to Dallas Lockbox

13th-Oct-2017 - I-129F received 

17th-Oct-2017 - NOA1 

19th-Apr-2018 - NOA2 :dance:
8th-May-2018 - NVC received our case

14-May-2018 NVC case # assigned
29-June-2018 - Medical

20-July-2018 - Interview - APPROVED! :dancing:

01-Aug-2018 Visa in hand 🎉
13-Oct-2018 - POE:dancing:
17-Nov-2018- Married:wub:

AOS, EAD, AP Journey :star: - From sending I-485 to 2 year conditional Green card in hand = 152 days📅

Spoiler

6th-Dec-2018 - I-485, I-765, I-131 packet sent to Chicago Lockbox
11th-Dec-2018 - I-485, I-765, I-131 packet received in Chicago
17th-Dec-2018 - Received txt notifications
18-Dec-2018 - Check cashed
17-Dec-2018 - NOA1 on USCIS online case status
24-Dec-2018 - x3 NOA1 letter's received in the mail:thumbs:
31-Dec-2018 - Biometrics appointment letter received in the mail
31-Dec-2018 - USCIS online case status for just AOS changed to 'Request for Initial evidence mailed' :(
07-Jan-2019 - Biometrics appointment👍
07-Jan-2019 - Request for Initial evidence letter received - request is for complete Federal tax return for most recent tax year (we did send with original packet...:angry:)

10-Jan-2019 - Sent back initial evidence request documents by mail:clock:
15-Jan-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to 'Response to USCIS' Request for Evidence was received':thumbs:
20-Mar-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "Case is Ready to be scheduled an Interview" 

26-Mar-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "Interview was Scheduled"

30-Mar-2019 - Letter with interview date received in the mail!!!!!!! :D

30-Apr-2019 - AOS Interview!  :star: - APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
30-Apr-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "New Card is being produced" 
03-May-2019 - AOS (I-485) Approval notice letter received in the mail
03-May-2019 - USCIS online case status for AOS (I-485) changed to "Card was mailed to Me"

07-May-2019 - 2 year conditional Green card in hand! :dance:

Removal of Conditions Journey  - From sending I-751 to 10 year Green card in hand = 

16th-Feb-2021 - I-751 packet sent to Phoenix, AZ lockbox

22nd-Feb-2021 - I-751 packet received in Phoenix, AZ lockbox

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hey well I hope you guys can make something of This! I myself am an Aussie and i just got my green card. I'm gathering from your story you are under 30? If so consider going to australia for a year? It's a much easier visa process under the work/vacation visa. 

That's what my wife did before we got engaged. We got to live together for a year, then we knew absolutely that we were ready to do the us visa. 

If all works out, I suggest getting married before filling applications. It's a cheaper overall process and saves filling at least once. 

If you can't do the Aussie visa with your child, take your time to build the relationship (evidence of genuine relationship), they are always wanting proof!

Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
55 minutes ago, I'm.done. said:

Hello, 

My name is Rachael, and I fell in love with with a man I've never met in person before. 

I'll give you a little back story. In 2005, we met on a webcam site called, stickam.com. It was a site, where you could shuffle through different people all over the world and I just so happened to land on a camera of this cute guy playing guitar (I was too). Now mind you, we were the ages, 12 and 13.... He is 10 months older than me exactly. Anyway.. It turned out that Alex lived in Western Aus..... we were literally on the opposite side of the world from each other.  over the last 12 years, we have kept in contact and video chatted through, Stickam, MSN, AOL, Skype, Myspace etc. There was a point in time when we did lose contact with each other.. Then, Facebook cameo out, and I decided to look him up.... and wouldn't you know it!!!! I found his Aussie butt!!!!!  We always kept in contact for ever, for the last 12 years honestly.  He was supposed to come to the states 3 times, but always ended up going to a different destination. But this year is different.....!

So, back in the beginning of June of this year, we started "Talking, Talking" and things have become pretty serious, we have talked literally every single day since then. texting, video chatting, phone calls. quite literally every second of my day is consumed by him other than when he's sleeping (He's 12 hrs ahead of me).

Even though we have not met in person... physically... I fell for him.. oh boy, did I fall for him the last few months.... I fell because he serenaded me to sleep (at least he thought so...)... I could see him through my eye lashes; he turned his head to the side smiled  then turned the chat off...   He's become my best friend.... We have so much in common, we have the same sense of humor... I can go on and on.. really. 

So now that you are up to speed..... He is coming here through the Non-Visa Waiver Program for 3 months, on October 25th. His plane lands... and that is when my heart will stop I think.. I have butterflies just thinking about it... I mean, common.... 12 years of knowing someone and we are finally going to meet in person.. I have no idea what he even smells like lol! so he will be here until January 23rd, and he leaves back home to AUS.. :(:(  The very thought makes me sick to my stomach and my heart sink..... I don't want him to leave already and he's not even here yet! 

I suggested the K-1 Visa... because we wanted to find a way to keep him here.. because we don't want him to go home to W.A. I love him and am too afraid to tell him over camera, I want to tell him in person... With the K-1 I have read that he have had to of met in person first, have pictures etc... which we will be doing all of this on the NVWP. We're going to Colorado, New York, Disney, Miami, (I live in FL).. and I will be taking a ton of pictures. I just want to make sure that I have everything I need prior to filing for the K-1.

I have a few questions regarding the whole K-1 Visa: 

5-Would you suggest him coming back on a B-2 Visa for the 6 month duration, and apply in the states for the K-1?

I just want to make sure I cover everything. I love him, and I want him to stay with me, and he wants to stay. I have a little boy... and He needs a daddy... his real father passed away when I was 34 weeks pregnant... Lex has always been there for me... I am so happy when we talk... I could only imagine him being here in person.... oh my god..... I'm soooo excited, but I am DREADING January 23rd :( I just want him to stay...

Any advice anyone can give me??? 

Thanks soooooo much for reading!

1. You can't apply for a K-1 Visa while he's in the States. You guys have to apply at a Consulate in his country.

2. It depends on the country and the case itself, usually 8-10 months + -

5. No, I would not suggest him coming back on a B-2 Visa since a B-2 Visa is a Non-Immigrant Visa and it is fraud to enter the States with the intent to stay.

He can visit you, you can visit him. Make memories and figure out if you guys really want to take it to the next step. IF you decide to do so, he should return to his home country and file for a K-1 Visa. It takes a while but it's the legal way.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline
1 hour ago, I'm.done. said:

1. Yes but he will have to return to complete K-1 process in US Embassy in Australia. Also Petition form asks about his current job address etc so it might be a bit of a red flag to write US addresses + don’t let him stay longer then his stay permit allows.

2. Whole process is around 6-7 months now I think.

3. The only requirement is for you guys to have seen each other in person at least once during last 2 years and provide reliable proof.

4. After return from US? So you don’t ask aout tourist visa but a K-1? If yes then you apply for him.. and it will be processed in states for around 4 months. Then case is forwarded to embassy in Australia for further processing. If you are asking about B2 visa he can apply right away and it should take around month to obtain. 

5. Well he can visit you on B2 while you are working on K-1 for him. I recently got back from states and had no problems. The thing is he might not be guaranteed to get 6 months stay perming on arrival - decision is made by officer at the point of entry at the airport.

hope it helps a bit ;)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

1- Can we apply for a K-1 Visa while he is in the states??  - I sent the paperwork in for the K1 visa the day my husband left for his home country after a 3 month stay. However, your fiance would need to stay in his country while you go through the K1 visa process. 

2- How long does it take to get approval for the Visa? It varies. It can take as little as 3 months an NOA2. or as long as 10 months. After that the case gets sent to the NVC, then to your fiance's country where they will require him to get a medical done as well as an interview. Our whole process took around 6 months, but that's considered pretty fast.
3-How long do we have to be engaged before filing for the K-1? There's no requirement as to how long you need to be engaged :) My husband and I were engaged for 2 months before we filed.

4- How soon upon his return to the AUS can he apply for the Visa? See answer 1 :D 

5-Would you suggest him coming back on a B-2 Visa for the 6 month duration, and apply in the states for the K-1? I wouldn't suggest that he file for a B2 after filing for the K1. It may be considered fraud.

04/14/16-Case Received

04/18/16-NOA1

04/21/16-NOA1 Hard Copy

06/30/16-NOA2 (73 days)

07/05/16-NOA2 Hard Copy

07/25/16-NVC Case Number Assigned.

07/26/16-Case was in Transit.

07/28/16-Case is now 'Ready' in Amsterdam

08/03/16-Received packet 3

09/27/16-Interview - APPROVED!!

09/29/16- Visa received.

10/29/16- POE date.

12/03/16-Receiving Social Security Number

12/01/16-Married

01/09/17-Filed AP, AOS and EAD

01/22/17-Received NOA1 

02/06/17-Biometrics Appointment Letter Received 

02/10/17- Digital RFIE received 

02/16/17-Biometrics appointment

02/21/17-RFIE Response Sent

02/23/17-RFIE Response received by USCIS

02/24/17-Status was updated on the USCIS website to "Response received" 

03/09/17-Status changed to "Ready to Schedule Interview"

04/14/17-Filed a service request for EAD card

04/19/17- EAD card is being produced

04/25/17-EAD/AP card was sent out.

04/27/17-Received combo card. 

09/25/17-AOS Interview-APPROVED!

09/30/17-Green card in hand! Done for 2 years :D

Timeline
15 minutes ago, ty15 said:

1. You can't apply for a K-1 Visa while he's in the States. You guys have to apply at a Consulate in his country.

2. It depends on the country and the case itself, usually 8-10 months + -

5. No, I would not suggest him coming back on a B-2 Visa since a B-2 Visa is a Non-Immigrant Visa and it is fraud to enter the States with the intent to stay.

He can visit you, you can visit him. Make memories and figure out if you guys really want to take it to the next step. IF you decide to do so, he should return to his home country and file for a K-1 Visa. It takes a while but it's the legal way.

Petitioner who applies for K-1 visa is an American citizen who do this for his alien fiancé. Filled petition with all extra documents is mailed to Texas lockebox. Only after getting petition approved (NOA2) case is forwarded to US Embassy in the beneficiary’s country.

Also entering States on B2 while working on K-1 is legal as long as you leave before stay perming expires.. however I wouldn’t suggest staying there for whole 6 months obviously. 

I suggest reading the K-1 guide on this site which will help understanding the whole process:

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

Timeline

Anther important thing is that he should obtain B2 before you start working on K-1.

First of all you need to see each other at least once and prove it. Second thing is there is a low chance of getting tourist visa while K-1 is already processing.

28 minutes ago, Anthony Terra said:

Hey well I hope you guys can make something of This! I myself am an Aussie and i just got my green card. I'm gathering from your story you are under 30? If so consider going to australia for a year? It's a much easier visa process under the work/vacation visa. 

That's what my wife did before we got engaged. We got to live together for a year, then we knew absolutely that we were ready to do the us visa. 

If all works out, I suggest getting married before filling applications. It's a cheaper overall process and saves filling at least once. 

If you can't do the Aussie visa with your child, take your time to build the relationship (evidence of genuine relationship), they are always wanting proof!

Good luck!

Thanks for the Advice!!!!!! We were talking about me and my son just going to AUS and living there for a while. Not sure what to do, because the plane tickets are just about 1900 AUD

30 minutes ago, Anthony Terra said:
1 hour ago, Fell4AnAussie said:

I just want to thank everyone for giving me advice, I don't want to get in trouble. I just want to make sure I do this the right and LEGAL way! All I know, is I love this man, and I want to spend the rest of my life with him!.... 

He's virtually already been apart of half of it already lol

13 minutes ago, Fell4AnAussie said:

Thanks for the Advice!!!!!! We were talking about me and my son just going to AUS and living there for a while. Not sure what to do, because the plane tickets are just about 1900 AUD

Well the whole K-1 process will cost more than that AND he won't be able to work for several months. Can you support all 3 of you? 

People who who are eligible for the VWP (visa waiver program) are unlikely to be approved for a B-2. So I wouldn't get too excited about that. 

Take it slowly. Meet him in person first and find out if your online lust for one another transfers to real love for one another. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
26 minutes ago, JFH said:

Well the whole K-1 process will cost more than that AND he won't be able to work for several months. Can you support all 3 of you? 

People who who are eligible for the VWP (visa waiver program) are unlikely to be approved for a B-2. So I wouldn't get too excited about that. 

Take it slowly. Meet him in person first and find out if your online lust for one another transfers to real love for one another. 

My husband was approved for a B2 before we went the K1 visa route, as we anticipated that he may stay longer than the given 3 months on the VWP.

However, the finance thing *is* something to think about. My husband went back to the Netherlands to save up for a while so that he would have plenty of money when he came here. The AOS process is looooooong and daunting. And from what I've been reading, it's taking even longer now than it was when I applied in January. You also have to make 25,525 annually in order to qualify for the K1 visa as your household will have 3 people in it.

04/14/16-Case Received

04/18/16-NOA1

04/21/16-NOA1 Hard Copy

06/30/16-NOA2 (73 days)

07/05/16-NOA2 Hard Copy

09/29/16- Visa received.

10/29/16- POE date.

12/01/16-Married

01/22/17-Received NOA1 

5 minutes ago, Delirium said:

My husband was approved for a B2 before we went the K1 visa route, as we anticipated that he may stay longer than the given 3 months on the VWP.

However, the finance thing *is* something to think about. My husband went back to the Netherlands to save up for a while so that he would have plenty of money when he came here. The AOS process is looooooong and daunting. And from what I've been reading, it's taking even longer now than it was when I applied in January. You also have to make 25,525 annually in order to qualify for the K1 visa as your household will have 3 people in it.

I make $62,000.00 USD /Year. I can support all three of us, put money away and then some. I'm not so worried about the financial part of it. Plus he owns a business in AUS, so he makes great money also. The only thing I anticipate is doing this the legal way. I want to make sure we do it right..

btw, what are all these acronyms everyone is using???? NOA 1 - 2 - 3 etc 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Fell4AnAussie said:

I make $62,000.00 USD /Year. I can support all three of us, put money away and then some. I'm not so worried about the financial part of it. Plus he owns a business in AUS, so he makes great money also. The only thing I anticipate is doing this the legal way. I want to make sure we do it right..

btw, what are all these acronyms everyone is using???? NOA 1 - 2 - 3 etc 

Ah, then no worries on the financial part! 

NOA1-this means that the USCIS received your petition. You will receive this when you submit your application for a K1 visa as well as an AOS application (adjustment of status, AKA the green card).

NOA2-this means that the USCIS approved your petition! In the case of a K1 Visa, after your case is approved, it will be sent to the NVC (National Visa Center) where it will be further processed and then sent to your fiance's country so that they may review the case and further it's progression. All in all, your K1 visa petition will be reviewed by 2 countries.

There is no NOA3 :)  

04/14/16-Case Received

04/18/16-NOA1

04/21/16-NOA1 Hard Copy

06/30/16-NOA2 (73 days)

07/05/16-NOA2 Hard Copy

09/29/16- Visa received.

10/29/16- POE date.

12/01/16-Married

01/22/17-Received NOA1 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.